Truck falls off lift at GMC

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've learned to just call my insurance from the get go, its almost never worth letting the other parties insurance or individual "pay out cash." Most will even waive the deductible and just go after the other parties insurance! After all its what you have insurance for, and the reason I will never NOT carry full coverage and less than $1M/$1M coverages.

Okay boys and girls, when somebody has your property in any form (vehicles included) and has "sole custody and control" of that property in any state, ....it's called "A BAILMENT".

Here's a quick definition: https://definitions.uslegal.com/b/bailment/

The owner of the vehicle has numerous avenues, some were not done. He has the freedom of chose to have repairs done at any location without restriction.

An immediate missed step was not done because the vehicle owner did not contact / tell the police there was a condition of "a bailment" in a car dealership which major property damage negligence occurred to his truck on dealership property.

The police needed to view the damage on dealership property at that time, ...and a police report is needed for the vehicle owners insurance company to pursue a claim. The vehicle owner's insurance company would have gone after the dealerships insurance company under "property damage" provisions for the recovery of monies.

By doing that, the dealership owner has no say whatsoever.

The dealership owner can offer to fix it at his own expense and avoid insurance companies which is legal, (but not a smart decision for the vehicle owner). But refusing other options for the vehicle owner is massively stupid.

The dealer owner is playing the laws of probability that nothing is going to happen.

It's the same if I smashed into this truck if it were parked. I'd be liable for property damage.

So are you going to kick azz the right way???

Don't accept no from anybody!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OP did you witness the truck falling off the lift? Makes you wonder if maybe someone might have been hurt in the incident? Some poor guy (maybe an illegal?) has like his arm half mashed off and the owner simply hauled him over to the local veterinarian to be patched up................................ THE PLOT THICKENS  

Wow!  What a mess!  Hope you get it worked out!  Any further developments on your situation?

Motor City Rick:  That is an excellent summary of what to do in a similar circumstance.  Thank you for posting it.

Currently the truck is at a body shop getting the repairs made. Door replacement. Rocker cut and replaced. Etc etc. The mechanical work has been done. Replacing drive shaft/left axle was bent/minor frame diamond in front. So we are already at 10k in repairs. Mind your the owner was willing to pay 3k from his body shop he got the estimate from. (His words "a simple repair, with no major damage all cosmetic") I may be younger than him (looked 60+) but my entire career has been in body shop/service industry so I knew to have it checked for more and sure enough there was severe issues. We tow a 5th wheel cross country so safety is huge even if we didn't tow I want my truck safe how it was before the fall. So anyways my insurance company has taken the claim and repairing the truck. We are out of 30 day rental coverage so currently paying out of pocket but tacking that onto to suit between ins and dealer in the end. Other than that looking to trade after we work out depreciation value I think the truck it jinxed. Lol this is the 2nd dealer to cause body damage to our truck. 2 dealers in Texas didn't have equipment to give am alignment or balance tires. Totally fed up with GMC and how they let things like this occur and have little to no control of dealers. You can sell a 70k truck but you don't have to be equipped to work on them or habe a diesel mechanic?? I hate all aluminum Ford's but it's looking sweeter and sweeter ? when we purchased this in 2014 we never planned on trading up/out it was our ride to wheels fall off and mechanically beast it up. Anyways in a couple more weeks I should have my pieced together dually back! ?

What a mess.

Sorry this happened.

Me and my brother in-law have a saying that is right on in our opinion in today's world of being a consumer.

"Spend your money and take your chances"

A lot of people are all gaga about having a warranty on the products they buy, vehicles being at the top of the chart. A warranty means nothing if the repairs are done poorly or it's a fight to get the warranty honored IMO.

Good Luck

:happysad: 

Had a Jeep back in the late 90's fall of a lift. Dealer bent over backwards to make sure the vehicle was ok and that I was completely comfortable with it..sorry to hear of the run around.

I have no affiliation with either party.

I thought there was more to the story. The dealers side.

I may need a dealer some day for service as I'm in my 60's. I do all the maintenance now but the future may change things. This dealer in one by me.

I emailed the sales manger, Mark at Ferguson about this issue.

My email

Hi Mark,

I may be out of line sending this email.

You are the only one with an email address on the dealer web site.

I belong to an online truck forum. I’ve been a GM vehicle owner for over 50 years.

Recently, there was a post on the forum about a truck falling off a lift at this dealership. I understand things happen, but according to the truck owner this accident was handled unprofessionally.

With the internet and social media of our world it’s easy to give businesses bad reviews that can be seen by large numbers of people. True, they are not always accurate or truthful, but the result can be harmful.

Maybe in the future this dealership could provide better customer service to avoid negative publicity.

This was my reason for contacting you.

Mark's reply

Steve,

Thank your for the email.

I am aware of the incident.

It was an accident and is being handled by our insurance company.

We tried to trade the customer out of the truck and they had all of the federally regulated emissions equipment removed from the truck.

We cannot sell a truck without this equipment.  The customer was not happy to hear this news.

Customer service is the most important aspect of our business.  We strive to give every customer the best customer service.

Please refer to our over 700 google reviews to get a better snap shot of how we treat our customers.

Have a great day.

Mike Bartko

I have no desire to ruffle feathers over this but felt the dealer had a right to their side of the story.

1 hour ago, diyer2 said:

I have no affiliation with either party.

I thought there was more to the story. The dealers side.

I may need a dealer some day for service as I'm in my 60's. I do all the maintenance now but the future may change things. This dealer in one by me.

I emailed the sales manger, Mark at Ferguson about this issue.

My email

Hi Mark,

I may be out of line sending this email.

You are the only one with an email address on the dealer web site.

I belong to an online truck forum. I’ve been a GM vehicle owner for over 50 years.

Recently, there was a post on the forum about a truck falling off a lift at this dealership. I understand things happen, but according to the truck owner this accident was handled unprofessionally.

With the internet and social media of our world it’s easy to give businesses bad reviews that can be seen by large numbers of people. True, they are not always accurate or truthful, but the result can be harmful.

Maybe in the future this dealership could provide better customer service to avoid negative publicity.

This was my reason for contacting you.

Mark's reply

Steve,

Thank your for the email.

I am aware of the incident.

It was an accident and is being handled by our insurance company.

We tried to trade the customer out of the truck and they had all of the federally regulated emissions equipment removed from the truck.

We cannot sell a truck without this equipment.  The customer was not happy to hear this news.

Customer service is the most important aspect of our business.  We strive to give every customer the best customer service.

Please refer to our over 700 google reviews to get a better snap shot of how we treat our customers.

Have a great day.

Mike Bartko

I have no desire to ruffle feathers over this but felt the dealer had a right to their side of the story.

Hmmm...an interesting find right there...always two sides to a story...

Archived