Drove a Suburban all day today...I like my Silverado better.

Drove a 2017 Suburban all day on a detail. Was excited to try it out and see just how much better it drove than my 2017 Silverado CC.

I was surprised to find the ride -not a bit- smoother than my Silverado. I actually found the Suburban to have more vibration i.e. Less smooth at around 80mph.

Of course it was a rental and had 26k on the odometer compared to my measly 3.5k....but still, I was expecting more out of that expensive ass ride! :)

Our trucks are pretty smooth rides! As you suggested, I think comparing your new truck to a used rental may have had a greater influence on your experience. Suburbans provide a very comfortable ride

I had a rental suburban on a road trip last year with 300 miles on it and it was smooth as silk and quiet all the way up to 110mph. We had 7 guys in it, all of our gear and it sat nice and level on the airbags. The 5.3 felt surprisingly sprightly even with all that weight in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a 17 lt 4x4 silverado for 5 days and a 17 ls 2wd tahoe for 6 as loaner. Pretty close actually and i think i liked the truck a little better, but tahoe was really quick stripped. Neither was even close to ride of my avalanche...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The wives 16 Tahoe is smooth, quiet, and "drives" much smaller than it really is. My Z71 is a pretty stiff, choppy ride compared to it.

My z71 rides stuff and kinda choppy. I just decided to get the z71 package,I guess i should have drove it. My friends reg 4x4 rides a lot nicer.

I have 3" Lift Spindles, Bilstein 5100s on all 4 (front ones in the lowest setting) and Overload spring delete on the rear

My Silverado is silky smooth and I love it

My z71 rides stuff and kinda choppy. I just decided to get the z71 package,I guess i should have drove it. My friends reg 4x4 rides a lot nicer.

Yea, I agree about the Z71 ride, but I thought my 14 Z71 looked so much better than the LTZ 4x4, same with my 16. Plus I wanted the downhill descent feature which only comes with the Z71 on the Chevy's. Plus, I realize the Tahoe and my truck are two different beasts, meant to ride and drive different.

Yea, I agree about the Z71 ride, but I thought my 14 Z71 looked so much better than the LTZ 4x4, same with my 16. Plus I wanted the downhill descent feature which only comes with the Z71 on the Chevy's. Plus, I realize the Tahoe and my truck are two different beasts, meant to ride and drive different.

Remove Stock Rancho Shocks, Install Bilstein 5100s

Night and day difference

.02 There's a reason why in comparing the same interior and exterior levels, the Suburban costs over 20 grand more than a Silverado CC. Just the idea of having saved or not being able to afford the over $20K in buying a Silverado over an equivalent size SUV is enough to numb ones a$$ and mind to the notably inferior ride.

Silverado with its rear leaf spring suspension and separate cab and bed bolted to frame is designed to carry rocks, manure and heavy equipment; a Suburban with coil springs, anti sway bars, variable ratio steering, one piece welded body bolted to frame, etc. is designed to carry people. Ride in the former is an afterthought; ride in the latter is the primary concern of the designers. And absent a$$ or mind numbness the difference is readily apparent - can't recall a single vehicle review where it found that the ride of truck exceeded that of a full size car.

And how can a fair comparison be made anyway when a Silverado comes in a variety of different frame sizes/wheelbases and off road packages, each of which effects differently the way the vehicle rides and handles while single configuration Suburbans ride and handle the same? My Silverado even with the Z71 package gives a decent ride with no vibrations but couldn't hold a candle to the way my old Z71 Avalanches with same level LT leather interiors rode and handled. Silverado rides and handles like a truck......Suburbans/Tahoes/Avalanches give a smoother more responsive carlike ride.

No one vehicle is suited for all purposes...different models ride and handle differently under different road road conditions. Ride comfort and handling in clear weather on a paved road is one area is where the Silverado is inferior to full size cars and SUVs. When driving off road, hauling bulky crap, in blizzards, heavy snow, deep puddling, etc. ride comfort becomes irrelevant and the truck and AWD SUV is clearly the superior vehicle.

I can make a fairly knowledgeable comparison because dependent upon the activity, drive two or three different types of vehicles a day. Retired with only the wife and really have need for only one or two vehicles, but keep four - each specific and best suited for a different mood or purpose: Donkey (Silverado); Grocery Getter (Malibu); People Mover (Traverse); or Cruiser (Impala).

Was one exception the Donkey was much superior in ride and comfort to the Toy (Camaro) which I dumped for the Impala because it was the most uncomfortable riding POS to ever seat my a$$

post-156616-0-35351300-1503664399_thumb.jpg

post-156616-0-87610900-1503667117_thumb.jpg

Archived