Solid front axles

I don't see it going anywhere, cost wise a solid front axle continues to become more expensive yet I believe the market wants it.

IFS has even made it to large framed tractors, those that knock it don't know just how good it is.

There are still brand new Super Dutys being made that have death wobble...

there is a perception that the sfa is stronger. however, anecdotally, it seems there sure are a lot of gm trucks going many, many miles without front end work. if you think about it, every bump wears both sides on an sfa, but only one side on an ifs.

The SFA guys only like it because it is easier to do a suspension lift.

GM has been using IFS on trucks for years now. Not sure when they started but my 2004 2500HD was IFS. Proven and durable.

Depending on the SFA, yes, stronger...a kingpin Dana 60 will last just as long as a IFS, and is substantially stronger as far as output (1.5" shafts throughout).

I think the demise of the SFA is because of weight and the fact people don't need the strength anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The gmt400 trucks were the first full size 4x4 IFS trucks. 88 for 1/2 tons and by 92 the 3/4 and 1 tons were all 4x4 IFS.

What he said.

Highly unscientific, but in '05 when I was out to the oil patch in BC & Alberta on the way to the Yukon & Alaska, I noticed most 'work' 3/4 tons were Dodges & Fords. Meanwhile GM seemed to have the market on 'personal use' 3/4 tons. If I saw a 3/4 ton towing a boat or RV trailer, it was a Chev or GMC

Depending on the SFA, yes, stronger...a kingpin Dana 60 will last just as long as a IFS, and is substantially stronger as far as output (1.5" shafts throughout).

I think the demise of the SFA is because of weight and the fact people don't need the strength anymore.

How can you say it is stronger when guys are truck pulling with 1000hp Duramax trucks using IFS?

6,000lbs rating on current IFS HD trucks...

I find the IFS HD trucks cheaper to maintain then solid front axle Ram and Ford trucks.

How can you say it is stronger when guys are truck pulling with 1000hp Duramax trucks using IFS?

6,000lbs rating on current IFS HD trucks...

Have you seen what guys do with a D60 in a mud or rock rig? Pulling on a track is one thing, offroad is something else completely

Not to mention a D60 was used in the Quadrasteer trucks (why not IFS?).

The weak link in an IFS isn't the suspension itself, IMHO it's the CV joints and half shafts.

Just some more food for thought...

I have owned 3 solid axle Ford SDs, 2000, 2004, and 2005. Prior to that I had an 88 and a 95 Ford F-250 with the garbage 4X4 IFS and both those trucks ended up with the front wheels angled out at an alarming angle before I replaced front end parts. Compared to that crap, the Ford solid front axle that came out in the SD was a huge improvement but still a bone jarring front end with very bad highway manners. Try pulling out to pass on a crowned road at 70 MPH and you get that split second scare when you feel one front wheel come off the road. I had Ram guys tell me they feel it as well. As far as taking off-road abuse in an overloaded truck, the solid front axle of Ford and Ram certainly has the reputation of being much stronger than the GMC IFS and when I worked around the Oil Patch in Northern Alberta, I never saw a welding rig on a GMC, they were all Fords and Rams.

I also did a new gold and copper mine called Mount Milligan, the road into that camp was brutal and there was a big 2008 Silverado 4x4 Dually just like the one I had at that time, it was pulling a huge flat bed trailer full of structural steel into that site several times a week. I did three 20 day tours in that Sh** ,hole, and saw that big girl haul a lot of steel. She was overloaded for sure but that IFS was getting it done.

I have nothing against an IFS, the IFS held up very well in my '98 even with what I put it through. I never replaced any part of the axle the 10 years I had it and I bought it used in '04. But, as said, with a straight axle it's cheaper and easier to lift and to me it's less parts. The only reason there's IFS for a 4x4 is for better ride quality. But, while mudding or just any kind of off roading I would rather have a straight axle smack a rock or the ground than any part of an IFS system.

I seems like IFS is pretty strong, especially now. But, they need to start making the steering system stronger since that's what the problems seem to always be. Especially when you lift or even put rims with an offset that makes them go further from the hub.

I have nothing against an IFS, the IFS held up very well in my '98 even with what I put it through. I never replaced any part of the axle the 10 years I had it and I bought it used in '04. But, as said, with a straight axle it's cheaper and easier to lift and to me it's less parts. The only reason there's IFS for a 4x4 is for better ride quality. But, while mudding or just any kind of off roading I would rather have a straight axle smack a rock or the ground than any part of an IFS system.

I seems like IFS is pretty strong, especially now. But, they need to start making the steering system stronger since that's what the problems seem to always be. Especially when you lift or even put rims with an offset that makes them go further from the hub.

I have nothing against it either...

Each has a place...you're not going to get the ride the IFS will provide with a SFA, but the IFS isn't going to take the abuse (mud, rocks, torque) a Dana 60 will either.

I'm not saying all SFA are equivalent either...none of the newer SFA are worth having with their weakened components and ride- improving suspension. Take an old kingpin Dana 60, leaf sprung, and you'd be hard pressed to find a IFS in a pickup truck as durable.

That said, you can find IFS in lots of HD applications these days...even large fire trucks.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Archived