replaced instrument cluster, cant turn off ignition

didvidyn

Question

2008 Chevy Suburban 1500, 5.3 engine, PRND321 automatic transmission.

got really weird issue with my truck, original dash speedometer broke, got another used one, copied all the data, VIN, Miles etc from the old broken one to the replacement one, installed it, works ok except the truck doesn't turn off when I turn off the key. had to remove and uplug the dash panel cluster to stop the truck.

is it possible new replacement dash has some issues ? can the dash be fixed or should I try another dash ?

also my transmission is "PRND321" not the typical "PRNDM1" so its really tough to find this particular dash.

any help greatly apreciated

13 answers to this question

Have you actually had the cluster re-programmed with the latest calibrations with GM TIS2WEB and programmed to the truck? You may need a trip to the dealer.

no, I thought these 2007-2012 clusters are interchangeable "plug and play" and dont need any reprogramming.

what programming needs to be done with tis2web ?

Don't need a trip to the dealer for reprogramming. You'll need a J2534 pass-thru device, a laptop, and pay the $55 for 3-days of access to tis2web.

Any garage should have this capability today. Don't bring an '08 to the dealer, unless you've got REALLY deep pockets, and alot of patience ...

like vxdiag vcxnano ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Ship-VXDIAG-VCX-NANO-GDS2-Device-Diagnostic-Tool-for-GM-OPEL-Wifi-Version-/292164734230?hash=item4406600d16:g:AaEAAOSwjRpZUh7g

do i connect thru obd port or to cluster directly out of the vehicle on the bench ?

If you're going to attempt this yourself, I suggest you watch this video at a MINIMUM:

If you're going to attempt this yourself, I suggest you watch this video at a MINIMUM:

thank you.

I did eeprom programming before like copying from one eeprom to another with eeprom programmer, but not familiar with diagnostics and reflshing etc.

This is a whoooole different ballgame. Lots can go wrong, and the gear to get set up will cost you thousands.

One dead battery, internet connection, or laptop battery, and (especially with GM products) that spankin' new ECU or BCM is now a paperweight. Some brands have components that are one-time write only, so you'd better have every system and option that vehicle is equipped with on the first attempt, or that's the way the vehicle is going to be (until someone drops another $1,800 for a new module - Volvo's CEM comes to mind).

There's alot to it. I'd spend a week or so researching programming. Might be more cost effective for you to either call a mobile programmer and have him come to your house, or just bring it to a local garage down the road.

no, I thought these 2007-2012 clusters are interchangeable "plug and play" and dont need any reprogramming.

what programming needs to be done with tis2web ?

The IPC needs the latest and proper programming for that vehicle to fully function. We've done it on every GMT-900 cluster we've installed. GM calls for programming as a requirement when installing a new one.

Don't need a trip to the dealer for reprogramming. You'll need a J2534 pass-thru device, a laptop, and pay the $55 for 3-days of access to tis2web.

Any garage should have this capability today. Don't bring an '08 to the dealer, unless you've got REALLY deep pockets, and alot of patience ...

Archived