JL Audios front stealthbox and audio options

First off has anyone installed this new front stealthbox console sub by JL Audio.....If not anyone done the understeat stealthbox it uses 2 of the exact same subs I believe. How was the quality what all did your audio install involve parts wise.

Last time I did a full blown audio install was like in 03 in my tacoma with mostly pioneer parts.

I listen mostly to country/rock and some hip hop, no rap unless older like dr dre days. I live on the river, I go out to races in the desert. I would like to have a loud and clean sound system.

I like and I hate the factory dash unit. I love the look, the fact it has all the steering wheel controls and you can put it on the 4" display by the gauges. I like the fact you can connect any usb or other device to one of the many ports on the truck and it brings up the info.

What I hate is the fact that if you want to use navigation it is only controlled by on star and just shows turns arrows. So i tend to use google maps on my android phone. I doubt u can cast your phones screen to the mylink.

I did see an install with a Pioneer 7" led touch screen with all kinds of features, andriod, and being able to make steering wheel buttons work. I do think they had to use a different back up camera or truck didnt have the tailgate one so they put one in.

Im not sure how involved switching out head unit is and if it makes it easier or harder if doing full speaker setup.

I would like to put some component speakers like 6.5-6.75 up front, maybe better speakers up in the dash (not sure on options), and some coaxials in the back. Not sure if i need the lc7i audio control loc for this or just like a 5 channel amp or?

The other option is just do the jl audio console subwoofer, does it even come with an amp or do i need to get that and the lc2i loc controller?

I would one day like to do tv screens in headset for my nephew. Having the underseat storage is important for me, before i saw the center console sub, i was going to buy/build a single 10-12" box for passenger rear seat and then make other half and middle a storage area either modify the one i have or build one based on the area left after the sub. But with the JL Audio i could ditch the cheap gmc one that previous owner installed and put a husky liner one in or build one.

Ok i think that gives enough info all the help appreciated. I might do a build thread for truck. I use to do them on dezertrangers and race-dezert when i built my race truck.... I will most likely design and build my own 6-10" lift for the truck once tires need to be replaced.

this guy posted a video of his speaker replacement... Dunno how well these kicker speakers are but looking up the price really the max i want to spend on door speakers. think these two kits are right around 200 bucks

I've always ran JL Audio subs in all my trucks and never had any issues and they've always sounded great. I've also installed many stealthboxes and they sound really good. I've got a couple of JL 8w3's now that I just need to find time and place to put them in my truck. I don't want them under the rear seat cause that's my storage area and I use it for that. I don't have the full console either so I'm thinking of putting one up front and custom building an enclosure or under the front jumpseat in the lower storage area, not sure yet. The other good thing with the stealthboxes is they really don't require a crap load of power either, usually 150w - 250w will make them sound good.

I am looking at this option to replace my Bose sub. Has anyone tried this one?

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=361930098837&category=50564&pm=1&ds=0&t=1503623178687&cspheader=1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

His page says for the Crew Cab Console. Are double cabs and crew cabs really different? I am looking for an option to go in my Double Cab console so it doesn't eat up space under the rear seat.

I am looking at this option to replace my Bose sub. Has anyone tried this one?

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=361930098837&category=50564&pm=1&ds=0&t=1503623178687&cspheader=1

oh i like this im trying to find the price... dont think i want to spend 380 just on a box

His page says for the Crew Cab Console. Are double cabs and crew cabs really different? I am looking for an option to go in my Double Cab console so it doesn't eat up space under the rear seat.

i saw that to but im pretty sure the front half of truck is identical

awe never mind $420 i think i rather pay 180 more and get a 10" jl... awe wait duh i forget it includes amps and all may buy this

Well buy it and give us a review lol. I actually bought one of his Kicker enclosure kits for my 09 GMC crewcab. It was pretty nice and hit hard.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the sub box and man does it sound amazing and i havent even messed with gains or power or tuning yet.

where did you mount the amp?

I am considering doing the console sub but have a couple basic questions:

1)can I tap into the speakers up front to get a speaker level input to the amp without having the chime issues? I am guessing the sub frequency is too low for the chimes

2)there is enough space to mount a small sub amp up front near the glovebox?

Edited by clayp

where did you mount the amp?

I am considering doing the console sub but have a couple basic questions:

1)can I tap into the speakers up front to get a speaker level input to the amp without having the chime issues? I am guessing the sub frequency is too low for the chimes

2)there is enough space to mount a small sub amp up front near the glovebox?

the amp and capacitor were mounted on a piece of 1/4" abs plastic on the back wall. I will post pics later this week once entire entertainment install is complete.

as for your 2 questions i do not know. I bought the idatalink maestro smart harness which gives you a chime speaker which i mounted in the glove box area. You get to adjust volume of chime speaker as well as turn signal volume etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up getting the console sub from Rodney's Boxes off ebay. Rodney substituted a Soundstream ST1.700D mono amp for the Kicker so I could mount the amp inside the console. Rodney's included an 8 gauge amp wiring kit. My truck is a 2014 Sierra SLE crewcab no Bose, no amp

Install highlights - wired amp to battery, went thru firewall at driver's side grommet with fish tape. Tapped into right rear speaker leads from Green plug at the headunit. The Soundstream had speaker level inputs which I combined the RR +/- from the headunit to both +/- amp high inputs. I also tapped the headunit ground to connect to the high speaker level ground input (in addition to the channel negatives). Grounded amp to a front dash chassis bracket mount.

Amp settings - subsonic filter around 30-40Hz, low pass filter around 80-100Hz.

Impressions - the sub really can shake the truck. I've got the remote turned down to maybe 3/10. Bass is impressive and tight. For $420 I'm tickled to death

• Like 2

this is the pinout for the green plug at the headunit. I tapped into right rear output for my hi level amp inputs. I tapped into the headunit black ground wire also for the ground of the hi level amp input

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 10.34.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 10.32.33 AM.png

Edited by clayp

On 8/25/2017 at 2:52 AM, offroad_racer said:

this guy posted a video of his speaker replacement... Dunno how well these kicker speakers are but looking up the price really the max i want to spend on door speakers. think these two kits are right around 200 bucks

Metal Panel Tool for the Dash!!! No way wold I ever do that.