2017 Transmission Issues

Hey All,

I purchased my first Chevy pickup, a 2017 1500 LT Allstar 4x4 5.3 and I am having some transmission issues. My truck bangs into gear on the downshift during moderate to hard braking from a short acceleration (city type driving). I brought the truck back to the dealership with 7000 miles on the clock to have the trans assessed and repaired. The tech that worked on the truck wrote on the ticket "Test drove and confirmed customers concern found vehicle bangs into gears when slowing down. Called GM technical assistance and was instructed to replace control solenoid valve assembly. Removed and replaced transmission control module programmed and test drove-ok at this time." I've had the truck back for two days, put about 200+ miles on it and the issue has resurfaced. Has anyone else experienced similar issues with hard downshifts in stop and go traffic, and if so has anything been done to remedy? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I see this is your first post. Search this forum for "6 speed" or "8 speed transmission." Whichever you have, although in my opinion the 6 is much better than the 8, which isn't saying a whole lot.

There isn't a fix. A band-aid tune maybe, but not in the first 36k miles...

Mine has clunked a few times but not often. But i did notice when driving as you describe while stopping at a light it always felt like the brakes were fighting the engine to slow it down. Also idling thru my neighborhood I found that the truck would idle and keep moving ~8-15 mph with my foot completely off the gas pedal. Automatic trans's always did this a little but on this truck it seemed excessive. Reason I say all this is I found the "Rolling Idle Speed" table in HPTuners that made a big difference in the feel of the truck slowing it down or idling once you lift you foot off the gas while moving. In the picture the values are the stock values of the table. as you can see the engine idles high as the truck is still moving. I attribute the odd idle feelling to this table so I lowered all the values in pink to 700.

...and guess what happened ...braking does not fight with the engine as much and liftin the throttle it feels more normal amount of engine coasting. I think a bit more tweaking is needed but I wonder if the clunking many have is due in part to this "Feature" of the stock tune which is intended to do what exactly?. GM isn't gonna fix it unless they can find the cause.

post-166553-0-24019400-1503898295_thumb.jpg

Hey All,

I purchased my first Chevy pickup, a 2017 1500 LT Allstar 4x4 5.3 and I am having some transmission issues. My truck bangs into gear on the downshift during moderate to hard braking from a short acceleration (city type driving). I brought the truck back to the dealership with 7000 miles on the clock to have the trans assessed and repaired. The tech that worked on the truck wrote on the ticket "Test drove and confirmed customers concern found vehicle bangs into gears when slowing down. Called GM technical assistance and was instructed to replace control solenoid valve assembly. Removed and replaced transmission control module programmed and test drove-ok at this time." I've had the truck back for two days, put about 200+ miles on it and the issue has resurfaced. Has anyone else experienced similar issues with hard downshifts in stop and go traffic, and if so has anything been done to remedy? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I felt that the first week when I bought my truck when I was coming to the stop it seem to pop in to gear didn’t seem normal to me but was told by my service guy sometimes the truck does that. there was a recall I don’t remember exactly what it was something to do with the transmission that seem to slow that from happening. I do feel it every now and then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine has clunked a few times but not often. But i did notice when driving as you describe while stopping at a light it always felt like the brakes were fighting the engine to slow it down. Also idling thru my neighborhood I found that the truck would idle and keep moving ~8-15 mph with my foot completely off the gas pedal. Automatic trans's always did this a little but on this truck it seemed excessive. Reason I say all this is I found the "Rolling Idle Speed" table in HPTuners that made a big difference in the feel of the truck slowing it down or idling once you lift you foot off the gas while moving. In the picture the values are the stock values of the table. as you can see the engine idles high as the truck is still moving. I attribute the odd idle feelling to this table so I lowered all the values in pink to 700.

...and guess what happened ...braking does not fight with the engine as much and liftin the throttle it feels more normal amount of engine coasting. I think a bit more tweaking is needed but I wonder if the clunking many have is due in part to this "Feature" of the stock tune which is intended to do what exactly?. GM isn't gonna fix it unless they can find the cause.

Yes, your onto something! That and the anemic Idle RPM's....I take my foot off and the truck will drive right on down the road!

attachicon.gifHP Tuners_Idle speed table.jpg

I was ready to buy my new Silverado this Friday until I did some research on it, seems like a few issues going on with the fuel management,oil consumption and transmission, not to mention the "chevy shake" thing. Do all of them do this? I'm not sure I want to gamble with my 50k.

Hey All,

Have you looked into the pedal flex solution?

I found my truck also had shifting and gear hunting issues. When I put a shim behind the pedal mount, a lot of it went away.

Edited by SnowZ71

I was ready to buy my new Silverado this Friday until I did some research on it, seems like a few issues going on with the fuel management,oil consumption and transmission, not to mention the "chevy shake" thing. Do all of them do this? I'm not sure I want to gamble with my 50k.

Gamble? I bought one sight unseen had it trucked in from TX! Guess what? it's smoother than a buick at 95mph crazy quiet,smooth almost 40K miles on it and drives like it's brand new! I am more than impressed and knew about the aforementioned issues too. Glad I got it! Even happier I don't have a ecoboost!

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the insights! At least this reinforces some of what I have read in regards to this not being an isolated issue. I mean, I understand that between the AFM and the 6 speed the truck is "shifty" trying to get you the best fuel economy but you guys are absolutely right in that it seems a little excessive. I opened a ticket with GM corporate in regards to the issues I'm having so that at least it's documented properly. They were actually extremely receptive to my concerns and promptly contacted me to find out how we could go about remedying the issue. I do have to say that I am extremely disappointed with the stock suspension and tires. The truck does not like to hold a line without excessive body roll and the tires just will not hold the road. Yes, the new Rancho QuickLift kit with RS90000 shocks should remedy this, but I will say that both of my 150s stock were sprung much heavier and felt much more sound. I got out of Ford because of the mountain of issues that I ran into with the Triton series motors, and figured I'd go to something with one of the best small block V8s around, but my goal keeping this truck until it died just doesn't seem as attainable with trans issues so early in its life.

Edited by RyGuyFD

I was wondering the same thing. Mine does it still. just not every time and doesn't seem to matter what speed . I'm not having any issues and it's not getting worse so it's not bothering me. I was just concerned it was a defect. I'll take it in if I start having issues.

With the shake, one thing interesting happened to me. When i was running the oem crew cab 4 inch round assist steps in black, i would consistently get a vibration from 70 to 80 mph. Drove like this for about 3000 miles. Then I switched to the Amp Research Powerstep, and then VOILA. No more vibrations. Smooth sailing from 0 to 100. I swear it has something to do with the OEM running boards.

Edited by eddieconfetti3

How did you go about starting a ticket with gm? I have a 16 and love everything about the truck except transmission and have gone to dealer several times.

Hey Snowman,

Here is the link for gm: http://www.gm.com/lemon-law.html. I gave them all the info as to what was going on with the vehicle, current mileage, purchase/service/pickup dates, vin number and invoice repair number from the dealership. They were very prompt in responding, stated that they were "sending the issue up to a senior advisor" and I was contacted within 3 days. From what I can deduce between the dealership not giving me any flak about the issue, and corporate being so quick to respond, I have a feeling that they are aware of this issue. The truck is going back in for service next week and I'm anticipating that they will have another 1500 for me to take home so I'm very curious to see if the borrowed truck from the dealer will drive any better. Hope this helps.