2015 to 2017 2500hd

So been contemplating trading my in 2015 2500hd gas for a 2017 2500hd diesel. Both trucks are optioned about the same.

Just curious what other changes were done between the 2015s and 2017s.

One thing I do not like is the warranty is much shorter on the 2017. My 2 year old 2015 still has more engine warranty than a brand new truck almost has, so thats a big down fall in my eyes but looking for other thoughts.

There is a lot of warranty misinformation floating around.

2017 still has the long power train warranty. (the duramax warranty never did get shorter)

WARRANTY AND COVERAGE
3-YEAR/36,000-MILE BUMPER-TO-BUMPER WARRANTY†
5-YEAR/60,000-MILE POWERTRAIN WARRANTY†
5-YEAR/60,000-MILE ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE†
5-YEAR/60,000-MILE COURTESY TRANSPORTATION†
GMC 6-YEAR/100,000-MILE CORROSION PROTECTION†
TWO MAINTENANCE VISITS**
3-MONTH TRIAL OF ONSTAR GUIDANCE PLAN3
5-YEAR ONSTAR BASIC PLAN4
COVERED FOR 5 YEARS/60,000 MILES†
POWERTRAIN COVERAGE
All new vehicle warranty (starting with 2016 model year) GMC vehicles come with a fully transferable, no deductible, 5-year or 60,000 mile/96,560 kms, which ever comes first, Powertrain Limited Warranty.

There is a lot of warranty misinformation floating around.

2017 still has the long power train warranty. (the duramax warranty never did get shorter)

WARRANTY AND COVERAGE
3-YEAR/36,000-MILE BUMPER-TO-BUMPER WARRANTY†
5-YEAR/60,000-MILE POWERTRAIN WARRANTY†
5-YEAR/60,000-MILE ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE†
5-YEAR/60,000-MILE COURTESY TRANSPORTATION†
GMC 6-YEAR/100,000-MILE CORROSION PROTECTION†
TWO MAINTENANCE VISITS**
3-MONTH TRIAL OF ONSTAR GUIDANCE PLAN3
5-YEAR ONSTAR BASIC PLAN4
COVERED FOR 5 YEARS/60,000 MILES†
POWERTRAIN COVERAGE
All new vehicle warranty (starting with 2016 model year) GMC vehicles come with a fully transferable, no deductible, 5-year or 60,000 mile/96,560 kms, which ever comes first, Powertrain Limited Warranty.

Compared to my 2015, everything else warranty wise is the same except they lost 40k miles on the powertrain warranty, as most of the time I meet the milage requirement before the years. IMO 100k miles down to 60k miles is a big drop

The diesel is still 5yr 100,000 miles so you are not losing anything.

From http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty

2017 Warranty Coverage

Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty (including tires):

Coverage is for the first 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Powertrain Limited Warranty:

Coverage is for the first 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first.

2500 and 3500 Series Heavy Duty (HD) Pickups equipped with a 6.6L Duramax Turbo-Diesel engine are covered for 5 years or 100,000 miles whichever comes first

Compared to my 2015, everything else warranty wise is the same except they lost 40k miles on the powertrain warranty, as most of the time I meet the milage requirement before the years. IMO 100k miles down to 60k miles is a big drop

Only difference in warranty with a Duramax between 2015 and 2016-2018 is the maintenance visits. Went from 4 down to 2. Everything else stayed the same.

It is gas engines that the warranty was reduced on powertrain.

As seemingly durable as the 6.0l and 6l90e are, that extra 40k of warranty doesn't mean much. I fully understand it's that peace of mind, but considering the proven durability of that drivetrain; it's unlikely it would be needed.

Read the fine print on the diesel warranty, you may find there are exceptions to the warranty that make it less than useful. That seems to be the new norm, great warranty except we don't cover this scenario...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

From 15 to 17 they took away the ability to pause and rewind the radio. That is my most missed feature. They also stopped making the cooled seats and went to vented seats. Looking back I should have just bought the 17 hood and kept the 15, would have been a lot cheaper.

I do like CarPlay and the ability to lock the tailgate from the key fob though.

From what I have read the rewind/pause feature did not work very well - so maybe it is good that they dropped it.

The new seats are cooled - they blow air from the floor up through the perforated leather. After the AC has been on for a few minutes turning the seat blower on results in nice cool air.

From 15 to 17 they took away the ability to pause and rewind the radio. That is my most missed feature. They also stopped making the cooled seats and went to vented seats. Looking back I should have just bought the 17 hood and kept the 15, would have been a lot cheaper.

I do like CarPlay and the ability to lock the tailgate from the key fob though.

I've been finding the ventilated seat in this 16 to to be more effective than the cooled seats in the 15 it replaced.

I'd wait till mid 18 or so and let them work the bugs out of the new power train.

Allison is carryover and tuning is good to go.

LP5 is solid but lots of tuning/emission issues, the nice part about tuning is there will be updates as time goes on, buying one 3 years from now will be no different then now as the dealer will get new/updated tunes as they come in and will flash the truck while it is in for service/oil change.

I honestly would not stress a new LP5, the hard parts are good to go, the fuel system is 100% unlike the LML.

Archived