Basic overasked question. Diesel v Petrol

Thanks for the input and the mobile app doesn't allow me to do multiple replies at once.

I average about $.11-.12 per mile with 87oct in the baltimore area. I'm definitely not opposed to another gas truck. I like the idea not being stuck paying for premium fuels like I did with German cars. I'm assuming that the chassis-brakes- are that much different on the 2500 trucks to make this worthwhile?

I looked at the max tow package on a 1500 and it doesn't really increase payload enough for me to rationalize the trade, the tow rating increases a little.

Someone nailed it with the price comparisons, had I bough a HD when I bought my 1500 3 years ago for about the same price I wouldn't be eating the depreciation now. That said, the 3500's LT trim is the same price as the 2500 HD duramax. I'm pretty sure I won't need that much truck.. ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a 2016 2500HD Duramax and now I have a 2017 2500HD gasser. I went from a $68k sticker truck to a $50k sticker truck for financial reasons only.

Maintenance is higher on the diesel. Oil changes, fuel filter changes, DEF... If you plan on keeping it past the warranty period, repairs are MUCH higher.

Either truck will pull my 10,600lb TT with ease. I'm in Illinois. No mountains anywhere around here. If I had to pull thru the mountains a lot then the diesel might make more sense. Otherwise, you can buy a whole bunch of regular unleaded for the $10k you will spend on the dmax.

I did the math once and in my area I would have to keep the truck 210,000 miles just to break even. Add maintenance after the warranty and that break even point just keeps getting high and higher.

I guess the question is how deep are your pockets? Gas and diesel are not even close to being the same price at least in my area. There are so many variables in the age old question gas or diesel. And there are a ton of threads same stuff hashed out over and over. Take your time then decide its your money. Either would do the job your asking.

I would search for a nice clean older diesel with the money I saved I would buy a clean used car for work. Or a nice clean one ton used gas capable truck for the camper. And a nice clean vehicle for DD.

For your stated uses I'd go with a gasser. Seems like the new diesels, no matter who makes it, are having problems with all the emissions crap that has been forced down our throats. See if you can find a SRW 3500 gasser. That way you'll have that little bit of extra payload with the exact same ride as the 2500HD when empty. I daily drive a duramax now only because it's paid off and I see no reason to get rid of it for something new and shiny. Once I get tired of paying for repairs I'll get rid of it. I honestly don't know if I'll go back down to a gasser for my next truck, I do miss having dual exhaust though. If GM comes out with a big block again I'll definitely drop diesel, but they won't.

First off I think your decision to go to a 2500 is solid. I had a 15 GMC and a 7200 lb loaded (31 feet long) travel trailer. It would do fine except on the interstates with big trucks and wind and in the mountains. I am in VA and often tow through mountains. Not like the Rockies but still enough to drink gas and wind the engine.

After a scare on the interstate when we were cut off by a semi, the mrs and I knew it was time to move up and had to make the same decision, gas or diesel. I ended up with the 17 3/4 ton LTZ diesel.

Going up a grade the 6.0 will wind all day long. Its going to drink gas and you won't be passing a lot of people but it will do it and on 87 octane but then I never ran 87, I used mid grade or better in my 5.3. I think situations that "demand" a diesel are the exception.

That being said...

DEF, no big deal really. Its not that expensive and I usually top off at a truck stop. My 17 has a bigger tank and I have not run out in almost 4k miles.

DPF, again, so far a non issue. But evidence is that they don't like lots of short trips where they don't get to operating temps. I think mine has done a regen a couple of times, engine sound changes and it does throw off some heat but no big deal. Passive regen is a big nothing burger.

Fuel filter is 10 15 dollars more. 2 more quarts of oil. Oil filter is about the same. Not really a big issue for me.

I get 4-6 more mpg towing my 7200 lb trailer. Day to day driving to work I get the same mpg as I was getting with my 1500 gas.

Driving up and down the mountains is much easier. When I slow down for a turn in the mountains, its no struggle to get back up to speed. The exhaust brake works like a charm too. Coming back down a mountain with the "jake brake" is a no brainer, hit the button set your speed and it does the rest. It really takes a lot of stress out of descending a grade.

But along with the fuel economy the effortlessness of towing is a selling point. If I encounter traffic on a grade, getting moving again is a non issue, you don't have to lock down to a lower gear because you always have power. That keeps transmission temps cooler. Honestly, now that I have towed with it for a while, I'd buy one just for the Allison transmission.

We camp at least once a month and most of the times 2 times a month. We also tow long for our vacations and plan to go out west in the next year or two. It made sense to me to get the diesel.

Thanks for the input and the mobile app doesn't allow me to do multiple replies at once.

I average about $.11-.12 per mile with 87oct in the baltimore area. I'm definitely not opposed to another gas truck. I like the idea not being stuck paying for premium fuels like I did with German cars. I'm assuming that the chassis-brakes- are that much different on the 2500 trucks to make this worthwhile?

I looked at the max tow package on a 1500 and it doesn't really increase payload enough for me to rationalize the trade, the tow rating increases a little.

Someone nailed it with the price comparisons, had I bough a HD when I bought my 1500 3 years ago for about the same price I wouldn't be eating the depreciation now. That said, the 3500's LT trim is the same price as the 2500 HD duramax. I'm pretty sure I won't need that much truck.. ever.

You are in the boat I was in. 72-7500 lb 31 foot trailer. The difference in towing it with a 3/4 to a 1/2 is night and day. Power was never the problem, the 5.3 in my GMC pulled it fine, the brakes (with a P3 control, great add on controller by the way) stopped it fine. But in a fight of momentum between a 7200 lb trailer and a 5000 lb truck, the trailer wins, every time.

When you get where you are going in the 3/4 you will be glad you got it, gas or diesel.

Well so far, due to the lack of selection of gas motor 2500/3500's. I'm looking at a Duramax.

Nothing wrong with the 6.0. It is a proven and capable design.

That said I'm a 6.6 fan. Drove them for about 10 years but needs changed so decided to try going back to the 1500's. Last dmax was a 2011, which was kept until 2015. 2011 was the first year for DEF.

Currently looking to go back to a 2500, and it will be diesel.

The Dmax equipped ones are more expensive going in, but it also have a higher value when used.

The first generation dmax (2001 to 2004.5) was the LB7. LB7's were notorious for failing injectors, and GM issued an extended warranty on them because there were so many failures. I've followed several dmax forums for about 10 years and injectors on later generations have NOT been an issue.

I went from an 07 2500 gasser to a 17 2500 Diesel, at the same time I went from a 6000 lb TT to an 8000 lb TT. We are also looking at traveling extensively in the next few years (we are nearing retirement). Towing with the DMax is wonderful climbing hills it is so nice not having the engine rev into the 3500-4000RPM region ( yes is makes lots of noise) The Exhaust Brake makes downgrades easier too. I set the cruise and tow/haul and it keeps the speed both up and down hill. As far as MPG goes - the old 6.0 got at best 16MPG on the hy empty, 9-11 towing, and 11-13 around town. The gasser was always shifting when I wanted to accelerate. Now for the Diesel - 24-26 HY empty, 12-14 towing and 13-15 around town. Diesel in my area has been running around 2.50/gal gas has varied from 2.46 to 2.65/gal. So actually my fuel costs have gone down overall. I have had to add DEF once in 4000 miles for 28.00 so that is less than a penny/mile. Oil changes for all GM rigs has gotten more expensive due to their requirement for either syn or Parasyn oil. I figure about 100.00 for an oil change every 6-9mos. There will also be a fuel filter every year.

Having all the power at my right foot - priceless.

I upgraded from a 14 1500 nht to a 15 2500 duramax....for future proofing wish I had gone with the 3500 srw. One thing to consider is how they calculate personal property tax or ad valorem taxes in your area based on the gross vehicle weight rating. Here anything below 7600 lbs get you a 50% break on ad valorem taxes. Anything above you pay the full price on taxes. For a 2015 three-quarter ton diesel that's going from about $400 per year to about $2,500 per year in taxes.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I upgraded from a 14 1500 nht to a 15 2500 duramax....for future proofing wish I had gone with the 3500 srw. One thing to consider is how they calculate personal property tax or ad valorem taxes in your area based on the gross vehicle weight rating. Here anything below 7600 lbs get you a 50% break on ad valorem taxes. Anything above you pay the full price on taxes. For a 2015 three-quarter ton diesel that's going from about $400 per year to about $2,500 per year in taxes.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

We pay 6% at the front and never again.

I'll keep it simple.

If you want the best for towing, diesel, for sure.

I know people who have switched from gas to diesel and have never regretted it.

Costs more ,yes.

One diesel owner I know had to put $8k in a Chevy diesel at 106k miles to repair the fuel system. Lost power, it needed injector's, injector pump etc.

If a diesel wasn't the best for towing all the big rigs would be gassers.

:happysad:

Archived