.50 cal bullet antenna replacement

I'm looking at getting a shorter antenna for my 2017 Silverado due to the lift kit. I like the look of the shorter .50 cal antennas they have out there. Does anyone have one of these and if so how is the reception? Additionally, which brand do you have and which is the best one on the market?

I have one that I ordered from Amazon. If I can find it again I'll post a link. As far as the reception, it's terrible, best way I can put it. I don't listen to the radio so I don't mind but if you do, don't get one.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

I had the Craven Speed .50 cal on my Titan. Looked cool as hell. Radio reception was pretty crappy though. I put a star lock washer under it. Helped some, plus it made it a little harder to quickly unscrew and steal, but still pretty crappy.

I haven't looked, but is there room to just tuck the stock antenna along the fender? and then just get a plastic plug for the factory hole?

There's a few people on here that have done this. Actually thought about it myself.

I tucked my antenna into the engine bay along the passenger front fender. Reception was notably reduced to the point that I'm considering a shorter antenna or just putting it back. I do listen to a lot of streaming music, but I miss the AM news station for traffic and weather updates. The local rock station here doesn't come in at all either with this configuration so that's a bummer.

+1 to comments on shorter antenna = worse range/quality. I went with a stubby for the same reason (it was hitting the ceiling in the parking garage at work) but it's absolute crap now. I live in a rural area (not the sticks but no suburb) and I get terrible reception for country and rock stations here. I mostly listen to music from my phone and HD in the truck but still whenever I want to throw on the radio I'm basically out of luck.

As for the bullet antenna, if you want reception stay away, if you want it for the look then do it. That said, if you've plastered your vehicle with veteran memorabilia be ready for the constant "which branch did you serve" and "thank you for your service". Can't even wear a tshirt of cap these days without getting thanked for your service, which is a bit strange when you didn't serve. Guess I just give off that friendly vibe -_-

I'm always listening to AM news, so less reception is a no-go for me. I've had satellite radio and while it's great in the open country, it sucks in the city with over passes, parking garages, etc.. I have a lot more things to worry about than an antenna. When was the last time someone said "Jesus! Look at that ugly antenna!"?

I've got one and the reception isn't that bad, considering I mostly listen to FM or stream via Bluetooth but I didn't get it for reception quality though. I wanted it just to have it cause I like it. Reception did go down but I'm still able to pick up the AM stations for sports broadcasts and stuff like that. It really comes down to what "you" want and what "you" listen to in the end, after all, "you're" buying it and putting it on your truck...

post-167112-0-61900800-1504632621_thumb.jpg

post-167112-0-09790200-1504632654_thumb.jpg

There's a few people on here that have done this. Actually thought about it myself.

I tried that but reception was horrible, I put it back and put a stubby antenna on, it is 5" and reception is actually not bad.

Archived