thinking of going back to 1500 series

gave 27k + tax for my 2016 crewcab wt 4wd threw in a disposable kia.

currently offered 34k trade on my truck. has 4500 miles. can get a 2017

lt crewab 4wd 1500 series for $2500 difference. I pull a light weight bullet

boat and a small compact tractor and zero turn. I did level truck with control arms

on the 2500. decisions decisions.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's better to have too much truck then not enough. I don't have much need for a 2500hd at this point in my life, but I bought one anyways..for one price point vs a 1500 is pretty much a wash, the durability of a 2500 Trump's the 1500..the list goes on and on

First post here, hi all! I would guess that most people that choose a 1/2 ton over a 3/4 or 1 ton are looking for a bit more ride quality. I now drive a 2005 K1500 that I inherited from my late Dad. Dad had 3/4 ton GMC's and Chevy's in the 80's and 90's but when he was getting up in years he decided to just go with a 1/2 ton as at that point he was not hauling much and only towing a 2 place snowmobile trailer. The last 3/4 ton I had was a 1984 K-20 HD camper special and it beat you to death unless you had at least 2000 lbs in the bed and that only tamed it a little, rode civilized with a 3000 Conestoga camper in the bed. That camper special K-20 was rated at 8600 GVW but in truth was closer to the one ton except for the full floating rear axle. Even the one tons didn't have 3 leaf springs on the solid front axle like the 3/4 ton camper specials, that combined with a stack of 7 leaf springs, 8 including the overload on the rear axle made that beast a kidney bruiser! Fast foward to last year when I drove Dad's K1500 from eastern Wa. state to SC where I now reside, even tho it was only a 1/2 ton 4wd and it drove great and rode pretty fair, after 3 or 4 days I was getting road weary and butt sore by the time I got to the awful Interstates in Illinois. Sorry for the long post, but getting to the point I guess us old guys that like a little smoother ride and don't need to haul or tow huge amounts can get by just fine with a 1/2 ton.

Yeah what am I thinking.

Fifty years old my first

Truck payment in twenty five

Years got a couple of daily drivers any way. Like the height torque and decent bed size.

The 1/2 tons really sit low.

Lt has some nice upgrade s

On interior over wt...

First post here, hi all! I would guess that most people that choose a 1/2 ton over a 3/4 or 1 ton are looking for a bit more ride quality. I now drive a 2005 K1500 that I inherited from my late Dad. Dad had 3/4 ton GMC's and Chevy's in the 80's and 90's but when he was getting up in years he decided to just go with a 1/2 ton as at that point he was not hauling much and only towing a 2 place snowmobile trailer. The last 3/4 ton I had was a 1984 K-20 HD camper special and it beat you to death unless you had at least 2000 lbs in the bed and that only tamed it a little, rode civilized with a 3000 Conestoga camper in the bed. That camper special K-20 was rated at 8600 GVW but in truth was closer to the one ton except for the full floating rear axle. Even the one tons didn't have 3 leaf springs on the solid front axle like the 3/4 ton camper specials, that combined with a stack of 7 leaf springs, 8 including the overload on the rear axle made that beast a kidney bruiser! Fast foward to last year when I drove Dad's K1500 from eastern Wa. state to SC where I now reside, even tho it was only a 1/2 ton 4wd and it drove great and rode pretty fair, after 3 or 4 days I was getting road weary and butt sore by the time I got to the awful Interstates in Illinois. Sorry for the long post, but getting to the point I guess us old guys that like a little smoother ride and don't need to haul or tow huge amounts can get by just fine with a 1/2 ton.

Yeah those HD 3/4 tons were rough riding.

gave 27k + tax for my 2016 crewcab wt 4wd threw in a disposable kia.

currently offered 34k trade on my truck. has 4500 miles. can get a 2017

lt crewab 4wd 1500 series for $2500 difference. I pull a light weight bullet

boat and a small compact tractor and zero turn. I did level truck with control arms

on the 2500. decisions decisions.

The 1500's are great trucks and it sounds like it will fit your needs. They ride better, park easier and get better mileage. Depending on the rear gear and towing package you get you can tow 9600lb plus. Only you can know what your future needs might be but it sounds like a good thing.

I guess it's time for the crystal ball on your future truck needs..

I'm not a big hauler,, just tow my 2000lb Kabota on flat-bed or lawn tractor when necessary so did not need anything over 1500 series / RCSB with its tight turning radius.

With a bit of suspension mods,, even handles much better..

Mileage averages 19.5 around town and 22+ on interstate with 5.3, 6speed and 3.42 gears...

My camping is also downsized with Topper as instant sleeping quarters...

Enjoy what you finally choose...

Cheers----K

• 3 weeks later...

I tow an 11,000 lb boat and I need the 2500 suspension. I would love to switch to a 1500 with the 6.2 and Max tow package. I Do not hear good things about the 8 speed transmission. Many people have rough 1-2-3 shifts UP and DOWN....

I have to wait for the 10 speed

I did the switch and regretted it. It's not that a 6.2 1500 wasn't fun and more nimble but there is a huge difference as far as "truck" performance is concerned. If you can live with the tradeoffs great. I couldn't. Once the novelty wore off I knew I'd go back to a HD truck. It just handles weight better under all circumstances.

Sounds like you don't need the trailer capacity, I'd go back to a 1500.... Really unless you goto a goose neck there isn't a HUGE difference in capability for the occasional towing between a max tow 1500 and a 2500, now if you tow 8000+ lbs quite often I would stick with the 2500... I have a few times wished that I had a 2500 but, mostly I just drive myself around and pickup a few things @ home depot now and then... I've only once met a load I couldn't pull with my 1500 and I just paid for delivery and pickup on the skid steer and it cost me $200.... I would much rather be cruising around in my 1500 every time I go somewhere than putting around in a small korean car so I could save gas over driving a 2500...

I just went through this. I had a 2015 3500 LTZ SRW with the LML. I convinced myself that I was tired of the rough ride and wanted the smooth riding power of the 1500 Denali with the 6.2, so that's what I bought. Here's what I'll say, the 1500 rides much better than the HD's and almost feel sports car like after coming out of an HD. I've read posts where guys say "my 2500 rides better than my 1500" which is BS in my opinion. That said, the HD's ride incredibly nice for heavy duty trucks.

What I missed wasn't the power, the 6.2 AND the 8spd were awesome IMO. What I missed was the secure towing the HD provides regardless of the trailer size. A maxed out 1500 towing is a bit scary..whereas the HD with the same load provides confidence. I guess like others have said it comes down to what you want. I just switched back to an HD High Country with the L5P..too early to give a opinion on it but so far I like it.

Archived