Gear Swap

Hello everyone, new to the forum!

I own a 2015 4x4 Silverado 1500 2LT. Currently I have the factory 3.42 gears in my truck. I'm looking to upgrade to 4.10 gears, I'm running 285/45/22 Nitto A/T II's. I figured this would give the truck much better throttle response and added torque. Does anyone recommend a brand of gears and an LSD that would provide the greatest performance? Or general recommendation in general as it pertains to performing a gear swap?

Thank you, glad to be apart of the forum.

Unless you are getting larger tires, that gear ratio is not good with the 6 speed on stock tire diameter. 1st will be way too low and shifting at like 12 mph wont improve drivability. Both difs will need new gears and with a trutrack you are looking at about $1500 with labor. Have you tried a custom tune with a cold air intake or mit? I just did a custom tune for around $350, and throttle response/driveability was massively improved...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

How did the trans ratios on the previous trucks compare with the current?

Trans ratios, diff ratios and tire sizes need to be considered as a package.

Sometimes the best bang for the buck is do work ahead of the transmission.

I had 4:11 in my 5.3 6 spd with 33" tire I luked it alot low gear was fine very responsive etc but hwy travel at 70-75 you cruise at 2200 mileage dtops off after that alot great for towing I towed 8000lb in 5th at 2200 at 68 mph

BUT looks luke you have 32" tire if correct and you drive on freeway alot Id go 3:90 gear from Yukon. Assume this a 4wd

Welcome to this forum. You will find some good advice here. If you are not installing grossly oversized wheels or regularly towing beyond rated capacity, your current gear ratio is ample. Many 1/2 tons come with 3.08's.

How did the trans ratios on the previous trucks compare with the current?

Trans ratios, diff ratios and tire sizes need to be considered as a package.

Sometimes the best bang for the buck is do work ahead of the transmission.

But the rest of the drivetrain will live longer if you do it at the differential...less strain on weaker components (e.g., transmission, etc.)...and you can do more with less HP.

The 3.9X ratio in the 1500 Ram seems to be a decent option...if it was me, I would determine my end use and long-term plans (e.g., daily driver, weekend warrior, frequent towing, offroad toy, etc.), then decide on gearing from there (e.g., 3.73, 3.90, 4.10, or deeper).

Final drive ratio is what you need to look at with tranny and gears. You cant compare a ram or ford with 3.xx vs gm with totally different transmisions. The 3.42 on 6 speed is actually lower than 4.10 on 4 speed because the 6l80 has such a low 1st (almost too low imho). 3.73 is in the max tow package on 6 speed with stock tires, but I think you will get more bang for the buck with a custom 91 octane tune...

• Like 1

4.10 is too low, no one offers (that I have seen) a 3.9x gear for GM trucks, so next bet would be 3.73. That being said, one step up is not worth the coin. I'm running 35's currently and in the future plan on going to 4.56 gears (which is the equivilant of a stock size tire with 3.73 gears, 6l80e trans)

I had 4.10's put in my truck that had 3.42. here is the part list.

$228

AAM 40095196

IFS 4.10 Gears

$509

TT 914A538

TrueTrac

$270

AAM 40033637

4.10 Gears

$68

AAM 40055350

Yoke

$70

DTS GM9.5B-DCRING

Spacer Ring

$3

AAM 40088808

Seal

$6.99

AAM 14012691

Crush Sleeve

$8

AAM 40038875

IFS Side Seal

$7

AAM 40133900

IFS Safety Lock Ring

I did an axle change from 4.10 to 3.08. Went to ZQ8 wheels and tires.

Your ECM will need to be re-programed to accept new rear gears, new tire diameters or whatever changes the vehicle speed sensors in relation to the old ECM software speed specs are.

I did what you did, now I have a code p0238, wheel speed mismatch.. ECM was custom reprogrammed to actual speed, but nobody in North America can reprogram my EBCM (ABS control unit) or other electronic computers to compensate for speed modifications. Watch out for "ALL" the pitfalls mentioned here.