Step Pad Cracked

tgg19

I was pumping gas today and realized that the plastic pad on the side step had cracked. I did some research and found the part number is 84106539. Has anyone replaced these? If so, how easy is the job? It looks like they may just pop off and back on but I can't find any definitive answer about that online.

post-159806-0-02399000-1504660774_thumb.jpg

How'd you crack those? They seem pretty solid, even for a plastic piece. I am pretty sure I recall reading somewhere they they do pop off. You may destroy them further in doing so, which I'm sure you don't care. And I think the new pads just snap on.

How'd you crack those? They seem pretty solid, even for a plastic piece. I am pretty sure I recall reading somewhere they they do pop off. You may destroy them further in doing so, which I'm sure you don't care. And I think the new pads just snap on.

My truck won't fit in my garage so it sits outside all the time in South Carolina. So between the sun beating down on it and my 200 lb frame stepping on it, I guess it was too much after 3 years.

My oem boards on my '09 had 6 years of "heavy" use and the truck was never kept undercover. The plastic was (and still is) in good condition. My new truck has Aeries boards and the passenger side plastic was lifting. Dealer replaced for free. I don't believe this cracking should be accepted as normal wear and tear.

My truck won't fit in my garage so it sits outside all the time in South Carolina. So between the sun beating down on it and my 200 lb frame stepping on it, I guess it was too much after 3 years.

No plastic lasts under the extremes of heat, cold, light and stress. Metals have a crystalline lattice, polymewric bonds break down under light and heat, and fracture when cold.

Armor-All might shine it and restore the color somewhat with a lot of scrubbing but can't filter out the light which depolyimerizes plastic turning it white and brittle. Window shutters molded in colors turn white with age, but paint protects them, the paint lasting longer than the original painted surface. Found one product that works great on the crapo GM black plastic. Simple wipe on and makes it look like new. Turned the 5 year old plastic sails on my Avalanche to a new l;ook which I'm sure got me extrra bucks in the trade.

Wal Mart and others carry Bondo Restore Black usually found in the body repair materials section. One simple wipe on application, flattens out with no applicator marks and it looks like new for up to a year. I use it on the bumper pads, and treadles or anything else that is black plastic with potential for fading. Could be some type of paint for all I know - but it works great and can take washings and wear. Worth a try considering the dramatic look you get on aged plastic, ease of application and its opaque barrier protects the underlying plastic

Archived