Wawa gas 92 octane good bad? 6.2l

Wildlyfe200,

Like I said earlier, it takes multiple factors to use any high octane fuel. Compression being most important.

Having a "performance tune" doesn't mean chit if you have lower compression motor, the lack of fancy camshaft / head combinations. Performance tune, depending who's doing it, changes the air/fuel ratio to 13.5 from 14.7 at any given altitude / temp range and changes the spark timing curve to come in sooner.

I myself have one of those "performance tunes" done on my ECM, saw no improvement in power, gas mileage or anything when using 93 verses 87 octane. I have 9 to 1 compression.

SnoringBear's 6.2 motor has 11.5 to 1 compression. He has to run 93 octane or the motor will run flatter because of less timing given to the motor running lower octanes.

I also have one of those 6.2's and have those $500 93 octane tunes. I also see the manual highly recommends 93 octane but an octane rating as low as 87 can be used. From my understanding the computer can adjust the timing for octanes lower than 93. Which would mean lower performance/efficiency or "run flatter" as you said.

To the original question is there any timing change going on from going when 91/92 vs 93? Should I just be running 93? I see some gas stations only offer 91 as their premium gas.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pulled up a US map of Wawa locations; appears they're mostly up in the northeast, so no worries here. About octane, just about all premium sold here in the DFW metroplex is 93 octane which is what I burn in my 6.2. Interestingly, out in remote areas of Texas, surrounding states and such, premium is usually 91 octane. Just a side note, if not towing, I sometimes mix regular with premium. In fact, because of Hurricane Harvey, gas has been hard to find till a few days ago and it's still spotty at times. So, I've been buying whatever octane I could find and being regular (87 octane) usually is what's available I've been using it and its burned fine, no knocks, misfires, etc.

I ran 87 for the first two tanks on my 2017 6.2 because I didn't know premium was recommended and I had no issues either. I have only run premium since then. I assumed premium was 93 octane everywhere until I looked over at the pump and saw 92 and my tank was almost full as the Wawa I stopped at. I I bought a 6.2 for performance and want to get the most out of it but if money or availability of gas was a problem such as what's going on in your area I would not hesitate to put in 87 octane. Then engine can compensate for it. Albeit you may lose a few horses.

Every town around me here in NJ has had a super Wawa built with in the last few years I have never seen so many of any the same stores pop up like they have ever. I can practically spit on 3 of them from my front yard.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

The Sheetz and Rutters are starting to move in heavy on Wawa...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

The Sheetz and Rutters are starting to move in heavy on Wawa...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Never heard of either one but I don't travel much outta eastern PA and central Jersey

I ran 87 for the first two tanks on my 2017 6.2 because I didn't know premium was recommended and I had no issues either. I have only run premium since then. I assumed premium was 93 octane everywhere until I looked over at the pump and saw 92 and my tank was almost full as the Wawa I stopped at. I I bought a 6.2 for performance and want to get the most out of it but if money or availability of gas was a problem such as what's going on in your area I would not hesitate to put in 87 octane. Then engine can compensate for it. Albeit you may lose a few horses.

It actually can't compensate completely

When justin from blackbear tuned my truck in person, he complimented the NJ gas because he was surprised to not get any knock snesoe readings on my tank of 93, let alone 87.

87 is not just reduced power and fuel economy, it is actually bad for the motor. It's a far cry from "going to blow up from a tank of 87," but you certainly don't want to use it.

It actually can't compensate completely

When justin from blackbear tuned my truck in person, he complimented the NJ gas because he was surprised to not get any knock snesoe readings on my tank of 93, let alone 87.

87 is not just reduced power and fuel economy, it is actually bad for the motor. It's a far cry from "going to blow up from a tank of 87," but you certainly don't want to use it.

Not sure I completely understand this post. But, who am I to take on Justin? Anyway, I burn 93 when that's available but there's huge swaths of the US where premium is 91 and much of that area is ranching and farming country aka "truck country". So, I seriously doubt that GM would design its prem'o truck engine to be so sensitive to octane ratings that the engine would have a discernible performance dfference between 91~92~93 octane. Anyway, my current circumstances due to Hurricane Harvey are that 87 is what's available at the pumps. Being that I'm too old, fat, lame and lazy to ride my daughters bike to get about I'm just gonna burn 87 till higher octane comes back on line. And, The Duke (my daughters name for my truck) will just have to put on its big boy pants and drink it :).

Not sure I completely understand this post. But, who am I to take on Justin? Anyway, I burn 93 when that's available but there's huge swaths of the US where premium is 91 and much of that area is ranching and farming country aka "truck country". So, I seriously doubt that GM would design its prem'o truck engine to be so sensitive to octane ratings that the engine would have a discernible performance dfference between 91~92~93 octane. Anyway, my current circumstances due to Hurricane Harvey are that 87 is what's available at the pumps. Being that I'm too old, fat, lame and lazy to ride my daughters bike to get about I'm just gonna burn 87 till higher octane comes back on line. And, The Duke (my daughters name for my truck) will just have to put on its big boy pants and drink it :).

Well, Justin tunes gm trucks in person, and is a successful tuner.

So he's probably up there in the top 5 people in the world in regards to sheer quantity of these motors he's looked at the reading of a knock sensor while driving while knowing what type of fuel was in it. He could be as dumb as forrest gump (he's not) and his opinion on that specific subject would still be more relevant than any one on this forum.

That being said the 6.2 will have slight knock on most 93 octane gas. Not regular is definitely not a good move.

Well, Justin tunes gm trucks in person, and is a successful tuner.

So he's probably up there in the top 5 people in the world in regards to sheer quantity of these motors he's looked at the reading of a knock sensor while driving while knowing what type of fuel was in it. He could be as dumb as forrest gump (he's not) and his opinion on that specific subject would still be more relevant than any one on this forum.

That being said the 6.2 will have slight knock on most 93 octane gas. Not regular is definitely not a good move.

Whew! Top 5 in the world! Deserving of a statue I'm thinking! Just having fun so don't get a wedgie over this :)

I used various caned tunes since they were available on all my trucks. I didn't pay for my gas so I always used the performance tune with noticeable results. With my 14 5.3 I used the can tune to turn off the V4, change the TM to 50 percent, raised the shift points and top end. I left the engine tune stock for two main reasons the availability of E85 and the performance it brings along with the ability to use regular gas when I travel. The other reason is these DI engines have high compression and really don't have much room for improvement with a high octane tune. I experience much more seat of the pants improvement with E-85 than the high octane tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whew! Top 5 in the world! Deserving of a statue I'm thinking! Just having fun so don't get a wedgie over this :)

I'm not upset at all.

I pretty much know for a fact 87 is not a good idea, and I don't want anybody reading this thread and thinking otherwise.

Also I never really stated that the engine is just going blow up. Just that it does infact knock despite obd2 and it's ability to pull timing when it detects knock.

My main point is that high octane is more important than the owners manual suggests.

I'm not upset at all.

I pretty much know for a fact 87 is not a good idea, and I don't want anybody reading this thread and thinking otherwise.

Also I never really stated that the engine is just going blow up. Just that it does infact knock despite obd2 and it's ability to pull timing when it detects knock.

My main point is that high octane is more important than the owners manual suggests.

From what I gather the 6.2 engine can vary the timing up to 15゚ it has a very wide timing tables from low octane to high octane. Basically if the engine detects a knock event it will retard the timing then keep increasing it until it detects another knock and then retard the timing again. It will keep repeating that cycle over and over if you have a lower octane gas in the tank.

Now having that cycle repeating itself with knock events happening how bad is that for the engine?

If you have high compression, such as 10.5 to 1 or higher, find and use the high octane fuel per the manufacturer's recommendations or performance tune requirements.

Since all of us are on computer systems, the ECM will compensate for using lower octane fuels which in turn is lower engine performance through engine timing reductions. The performance becomes more negligible as the compression ratio is reduced between using 91, 92, and 93 octane. If anybody has an aspirated motor running lower compression like 9.5 to 1 it is a "pure waste" of money to run higher octane, even if you have a "performance tune". Lower the compression, less effect on high octane fuel.

Please don't forget, there are at least 40 plus bouquet fuels delivered in this country. That is 40 plus "mixtures" of fuel with numerous variables. Octane is one of the least concerns. It's the "chemistry", "specific gravity" and "proper usage" which is the most important in creating actual power to a motor, reducing spark knock, and better gas mileage.

Here's a website that might explain a few things: http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/gasoline-octane-myths.html

Showing how much a "farce" the octane issue is, this is statement about E-85 Fuel octane ratings which are way higher, keep in mind, using E-85 doesn't give more power, gas mileage or anything else.

E85 is an alcohol based fuel that is 85% Ethanol and 15% Gasoline. E85 is a high octane fuel with an Octane rating of approximately 105-108 Octane points (depending on manufacturer). This is several octane points higher than 98 Octane premium unleaded and on par with many designated professional level race fuels.

But the use of E-85 does not increase power, gas mileage, nor anything else with this ultra high octane rating, so the octane has just been flushed down the toilet. It's the "chemistry" and "specific gravity" that is most important, not so much octane if you want power, anti knock qualities and gas mileage.

Archived