Wawa gas 92 octane good bad? 6.2l

If anything you’ll just get some knock retard. I’m tuned for 93 and when I put 91 in on a road trip I was getting 1-3° of knock retard. Octane booster will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect exact answer I was looking for.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have high compression, such as 10.5 to 1 or higher, find and use the high octane fuel per the manufacturer's recommendations or performance tune requirements.

Since all of us are on computer systems, the ECM will compensate for using lower octane fuels which in turn is lower engine performance through engine timing reductions. The performance becomes more negligible as the compression ratio is reduced between using 91, 92, and 93 octane. If anybody has an aspirated motor running lower compression like 9.5 to 1 it is a "pure waste" of money to run higher octane, even if you have a "performance tune". Lower the compression, less effect on high octane fuel.

Please don't forget, there are at least 40 plus bouquet fuels delivered in this country. That is 40 plus "mixtures" of fuel with numerous variables. Octane is one of the least concerns. It's the "chemistry", "specific gravity" and "proper usage" which is the most important in creating actual power to a motor, reducing spark knock, and better gas mileage.

Here's a website that might explain a few things: http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/gasoline-octane-myths.html

Showing how much a "farce" the octane issue is, this is statement about E-85 Fuel octane ratings which are way higher, keep in mind, using E-85 doesn't give more power, gas mileage or anything else.

E85 is an alcohol based fuel that is 85% Ethanol and 15% Gasoline. E85 is a high octane fuel with an Octane rating of approximately 105-108 Octane points (depending on manufacturer). This is several octane points higher than 98 Octane premium unleaded and on par with many designated professional level race fuels.

But the use of E-85 does not increase power, gas mileage, nor anything else with this ultra high octane rating, so the octane has just been flushed down the toilet. It's the "chemistry" and "specific gravity" that is most important, not so much octane if you want power, anti knock qualities and gas mileage.

Understood it all comes down to compression. Now here's another one how about top tier rated gas and non top tier rated gas. Should we be that concerned about finding top tier gas? I do not go to no name stations but the cheapest gas I can find is at Gulf stations that are not top tier but they always have 93.

Understood it all comes down to compression. Now here's another one how about top tier rated gas and non top tier rated gas. Should we be that concerned about finding top tier gas? I do not go to no name stations but the cheapest gas I can find is at Gulf stations that are not top tier but they always have 93.

About E-85; when truck shopping back in May 2015 I don't recall seeing any 6.2's with the FlexFuel badge. Did I over look them? I seem to vaguely recall asking about it and "I think" I was told that the FlexFuel option wasn't offered in the 6.2. Has this changed since I shopped or did I just miss this?

I keep with the "major brands", the little / unknown gas station brands get cheap "wholesale gas" from God knows where. Greater risk of "quality control" with that gas being used.

^^^^ This.

I use Top Tier gas only. Why not?

:happysad:

About E-85; when truck shopping back in May 2015 I don't recall seeing any 6.2's with the FlexFuel badge. Did I over look them? I seem to vaguely recall asking about it and "I think" I was told that the FlexFuel option wasn't offered in the 6.2. Has this changed since I shopped or did I just miss this?

No e85 for the 6.2 yet from the factory. I believe there are a few people who have converted them over though...

Got a question for anyone; I mentioned earlier in this thread that here in the DFW (Texas) metroplex that gas is still spotty but available. However, it appears that the refineries down on the coast in order to produce as much gas as possible are only putting out regular 87 octane. I don't mind burning regular for awhile in my 6.2 while driving out and about in no-load situations. However, I'm scheduled to make a trip this week towing my 6,000 lb TT. I'm thinking this would be a bit of a strain on my engine using regular. Looking for recommendations on a good octane booster additive. Appreciate any inputs.

I would not use a fuel that is rated below the required octane for my engine, towing or otherwise. As for an octane booster, correct measurement is more important than brand. Some people mix gasoline with kerosene to raise the octane. Lowering the proof of alcohol by diluting it with water or soda is a similar concept.

Got a question for anyone; I mentioned earlier in this thread that here in the DFW (Texas) metroplex that gas is still spotty but available. However, it appears that the refineries down on the coast in order to produce as much gas as possible are only putting out regular 87 octane. I don't mind burning regular for awhile in my 6.2 while driving out and about in no-load situations. However, I'm scheduled to make a trip this week towing my 6,000 lb TT. I'm thinking this would be a bit of a strain on my engine using regular. Looking for recommendations on a good octane booster additive. Appreciate any inputs.

I might buy a can of octane boost and keep in the truck.

Fill up with 87 to pull the TT and see how it goes, maybe go a little easier. If it knocks put in the octane booster.

I might buy a can of octane boost and keep in the truck.

Fill up with 87 to pull the TT and see how it goes, maybe go a little easier. If it knocks put in the octane booster.

I forget the exact quantities, but pretty sure you'd need something rediculous like 20 cans of it to get from 87 to 93 on a 25 gallon tank

They sell some legit stuff online which is what everbody uses, forget the name though

I would not use a fuel that is rated below the required octane for my engine, towing or otherwise. As for an octane booster, correct measurement is more important than brand. Some people mix gasoline with kerosene to raise the octane. Lowering the proof of alcohol by diluting it with water or soda is a similar concept.

WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT? LOL

GM recommends 91 octane or higher for the 6.2 V8. It's in the owners manual. Maybe this is some east coast thing where you guys only have 93, so since that is all you are used to seeing you are scared of 92 vs 93? I mean what the hell lol. They don't even offer 93 here in Cali. And my Diablo Tuner has a 91 octane tune, it's even in their users manual as 91. As far as I am concerned you are using a 91 Tune on a truck that recommends 91 and then putting 92 or 93 into it which is not doing anything but causing people to argue. LOOOOOOL

WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT? LOL

GM recommends 91 octane or higher for the 6.2 V8. It's in the owners manual. Maybe this is some east coast thing where you guys only have 93, so since that is all you are used to seeing you are scared of 92 vs 93? I mean what the hell lol. They don't even offer 93 here in Cali. And my Diablo Tuner has a 91 octane tune, it's even in their users manual as 91. As far as I am concerned you are using a 91 Tune on a truck that recommends 91 and then putting 92 or 93 into it which is not doing anything but causing people to argue. LOOOOOOL

You have a 91 tune in cali, and he has 93 where he's at, so what do you think his tune is for?

Also 91 will cut timing on a stock motor

Hmmm, I'm kinda thinking you're having a little fun with ole SB . I'm having trouble buying into the notion that kerosene will raise octane level. And, it's my guess that the sugar in soda would gum up injectors, fuel pump and other components in the gas flow. I do know that water is sometimes injected into juice burners to increase boost but that's a special setup for sure. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions but I'm gonna pass, no offense I hope .

Archived