Putting 25-30k miles on a truck per year?

Imcrazy

I have taken on a new career opportunity that will require me to put about 20k per year on my personal vehicle, I figure I will put another 7k per year on it for personal use. My truck currently has 29k miles on it, it's a 2016 and it has been in service since December of 2016 when I bought it new. If I run the truck for 4 years at that pace I'll put at least another 100k on the clock plus the 29k on it now.... How hard is this going to be on the truck? The company I am working for is giving me a $475 car allowance and then .20c per mile on top of that for all business use so I will be compensated for my vehicle use but, the way the truck goes through gas 18mpg in mixed driving, the cost of fuel is going to eat up most of my mileage allowance but, the car allowance will cover almost all of my monthly payment. I am just hesitant to burn up a 49k truck in 5-6 years but, maybe that many miles in just a few years won't be that hard on the rig? I'd much prefer to be riding up high on the road in my Silverado than going out and buying a Malibu or something similar for work and sidelining the truck for personal use only.

Basically my question is who has put that kinda mileage on a truck in a short time frame, how hard is it on the truck?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a pretty hefty allowance. I would buy a new or lightly used subcompact i.e. Civic, Corolla, Mazda3, etc... $20k finances for 60 mos is only 333/mo. You still come out ahead $140/mo plus you will make extra money on your mileage reimbursement at 35mpg vs only 18 in your truck.

Unless you have a job where you need a large vehicle to transport 4 people around regularly, it would be a total waste to use up your truck IMO.

Lots of opinions I'm sure.

IMO if you do the maintenance, don't abuse it, not a lot of towing heavy loads no big deal.

Brakes, tires, oil, fluid service etc.

Or buy a work vehicle that gets good MPG. cheaper insurance and maintenance.

My decision would be based on my salary.

:happysad:

As long as you keep up on your regular services and follow the owners manual on what to do and when I think you should be fine. My 14 Silverado High Country 6.2 has 121,000 on it and runs and drives like new.

I agree with you about not wanting to get a car. I also prefer driving a pickup over a car.

Some rough figures in 100k miles at .20 a mile is $20,000, and 4 years at $475 is 22,800, total of 42,800 in four years. almost pays for your pickup in 4 years.

I had 46K on my 2015 in two years and nothing changed in the ride or suspension at all. Many with over 100K on this new platform. The LS trucks were the best for mileage knew many guys over 200K and 300K with a stock motors normal upkeep. It would be expnsive to keep it and get another car. If you like it, they are paying for it, it's not really your expense anymore, and you get to keep it. Take care of it, your driving what you like, and they are making your car payment and gas payments. Downgrading, taking a loss on your truck or sidelining it, seems more expensive and not advantageous to what you want and need.

A lot of people try to predict the future. The truth is, the overwhelming majority of truck owners trade in within 3 years. It's just not the same as it was 20.. or even 10 years ago.

I wouldn't worry about it, just drive it. The fact is you...like so many others...will likely want to upgrade anyway once you see the new 2019 roll out..

cost of ownership comprises of depreciation by mileage, tires, brakes, fuel, insurance, etc etc etc

A new truck is unfortunately probably one of the worst vehicles to do this short of a $75k plus german sedan.

I would personally sell your truck, buy some early 2000's truck with 100k miles and a 4.8 or 5.3. It's going to cost you way less per mile in depreciation. Then buy yourself another vehicle for personal use.

Better yet, buy yourself a bad-ass car. I mean ideally you'd get a prius, but even something fun to drive like a c5 z06 or c6 would be cheaper to drive than your truck.

I can't imagine ever wanting to drive a truck over a vette.

Im in the same boat, unfortunately i dont get a vehicle allowance. Im commuting a little over 60 miles round trip. For me, i consider what mileage im at now (60K) and how much I can get for a trade in right now. Using $60 a week in gas adds up, i could cut that in half. I could move, but im under a lease on my place until October, and i dont know how much longer I'm going to stay in the Springs to make it worth paying to move, plus i currently have a nice place with a good price. I have been looking hard at the subaru crosstrek. It gets close to double the mpgs that my truck gets and its more reasonable for what i need. I love my truck, but it rides empty 99% of the time, so thats a huge considerarion. Subaru dealer offered me $28K for my truck and the crosstrek loaded for $28,400. Ive been going back and forth for weeks. If i ever need a truck, i can rent one from U-Haul or Home Depot for $50. Question is do you really need a truck or do you just like the idea of having a truck?

I put 40-60K miles per year for most of my 40 years working. It was a family business so my expenses were paid. I usually bought a new truck every 2-3 years, some of my family members chose to hang on to theirs longer. What we noticed over the years is putting lots of miles on fast did very little to wear a vehicle out as long as proper maintenance was followed. Two- three hundred thousand miles wasn't a problem on a highway driven high mileage vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in a similar situation, even have the option of driving a company vehicle after commuting to the office.

I bought the truck because it's comfortable to get in/out and drive. It has twelve airbags (ok, six, but still), it has enough mass to make me competitive with some other idiot driver and my familiarity with handling characteristics make this the safest - and best - vehicle for me to drive. Not to mention I have quality tires and handle all maintenance responsibilities diligently.

Might I be paying a bit for that? Yea.

Thanks for the replies guys, I figure I'd rather just use up the truck and get a new one every 3-5 years instead of going with an additional vehicle. Glad to see you guys running lots of miles in a short time with no ill effects. No way I'd be able to spend 20k a year behind the wheel of a Cruze or Civic kinda car, my body would be aching I bet. I don't have to do any hauling just driving my fat @ss around making sales calls lol.

Im in the same boat, unfortunately i dont get a vehicle allowance. Im commuting a little over 60 miles round trip. For me, i consider what mileage im at now (60K) and how much I can get for a trade in right now. Using $60 a week in gas adds up, i could cut that in half. I could move, but im under a lease on my place until October, and i dont know how much longer I'm going to stay in the Springs to make it worth paying to move, plus i currently have a nice place with a good price. I have been looking hard at the subaru crosstrek. It gets close to double the mpgs that my truck gets and its more reasonable for what i need. I love my truck, but it rides empty 99% of the time, so thats a huge considerarion. Subaru dealer offered me $28K for my truck and the crosstrek loaded for $28,400. Ive been going back and forth for weeks. If i ever need a truck, i can rent one from U-Haul or Home Depot for $50. Question is do you really need a truck or do you just like the idea of having a truck?

Yeah I hear ya, it is tempting to goto something that gets more MPG.. I don't care for driving anything that sits too low to the road, I have a bit of land and I am always hauling stuff for my home improvement projects as well as those of my family, plus we go on a few vacations a year and with two big dogs, me and the wife with all our gear I need something with some room for people and stuff... Do I need a truck, not exactly but, I'm not gonna go any smaller than say a Grand Cherokee, Ford Explorer, 4Runner etc and I won't save any gas with any of those choices... When I was younger I liked smaller cars but, kinda tough to give up the truck now that I've had a couple... One thing I've really considered is a Colorado D-Max for the mileage but, I am gonna wait and see what the MPG is if they come out with a diesel 1500 in '19..

cost of ownership comprises of depreciation by mileage, tires, brakes, fuel, insurance, etc etc etc

A new truck is unfortunately probably one of the worst vehicles to do this short of a $75k plus german sedan.

I would personally sell your truck, buy some early 2000's truck with 100k miles and a 4.8 or 5.3. It's going to cost you way less per mile in depreciation. Then buy yourself another vehicle for personal use.

Better yet, buy yourself a bad-ass car. I mean ideally you'd get a prius, but even something fun to drive like a c5 z06 or c6 would be cheaper to drive than your truck.

I can't imagine ever wanting to drive a truck over a vette.

Trucks hold their value better than anything out there from what I can tell? Assuming you don't pay MSRP.... Pay 8-10k under sticker buy a truck for 35k, put 120k miles on it in 3 years and trade it in for 20k, 7k a year to drive a 45k sticker truck is good in my book... Hence why there so dang cheap to lease. Why would I run around for work in a old rotten 2000's truck, that sounds like torture lol... If I am going to be in a vehicle for 20k miles a year it better be something nice man, plus being in sales you need a nice newer vehicle to give a good impression on clients... I'd rather drive a truck than a vette any day man, try working out of your vette taking notes on the side of the road for a customers order or sitting in a parking lot on a sales call for an hour, you need room to spread out.

That is a pretty hefty allowance. I would buy a new or lightly used subcompact i.e. Civic, Corolla, Mazda3, etc... $20k finances for 60 mos is only 333/mo. You still come out ahead $140/mo plus you will make extra money on your mileage reimbursement at 35mpg vs only 18 in your truck.

Unless you have a job where you need a large vehicle to transport 4 people around regularly, it would be a total waste to use up your truck IMO.

Nah man I couldn't spend 20k a year in a little car like that... Would have to be at least a midsize, mid trim car or cross over, I was considering a Malibu or Equinox LT (22k ish) I see your point but, my days of driving small cars are over...

As long as you keep up on your regular services and follow the owners manual on what to do and when I think you should be fine. My 14 Silverado High Country 6.2 has 121,000 on it and runs and drives like new.

I agree with you about not wanting to get a car. I also prefer driving a pickup over a car.

Some rough figures in 100k miles at .20 a mile is $20,000, and 4 years at $475 is 22,800, total of 42,800 in four years. almost pays for your pickup in 4 years.

That is good to know on your '14, if I am gonna be in the saddle for 20k a year I want to be in something premium... Yeah your math is on point and this is pretty much what I arrived at, would rather get a nice new truck every 4-5 years than keep my current truck for 10 years and buy a midsize car every 5-6 years and suffer through driving the car lol.

Archived