Rattling at startup then ticking after warmed up

Got a 2010 1500 Sierra with a 5.3 L in it. A while back I had a pretty serious oil leak. I took the truck in and had it fixed. While they had it apart they replaced the oil pan gasket also. Now on cold startup I have terrible sounding rattle for 3-5 seconds until the oil gets to the top of the motor and after the motor is warm I have a tick every so often. This motor made zero noise before the work.

In case it's helpful. I use Mobil 1 full synthetic 5W30 and the oil pressures are at 40 at cold start and 25 when warm. Any thoughts?

What repair was performed aside from the oil pan gasket? I have known several repair shop owners that would always make sure the customer came back. The car would go in for one repair, and come out of the shop with a new problem that just appeared out of nowhere. Its a despicable practice, but surprising common. There have been several hidden camera investigations aired on TV that prove this is a common occurrence. Google it. As far as the lifters are concerned, running a quart of trans fluid in the crank for 10 minutes and then dropping the oil is supposed to help a lot with lifter issues. Its the high detergent that is supposed to help free the lifters. Maybe after pulling the pan, they put the wrong oil in the motor? You might also try a different oil filter, as the current one could have a problem with the flow rate or anti drain-back valve.

Thanks starman. The rear main seal was replaced also. I need to get under and check the filter. I do my own changes so I'm thinking I will change it and see if that fixes it. All I could think of was something happened to the screen on the lower end when they did the work underneath. Thanks for the tip on the tranny fluid. Might be worth a try for sure. I had never heard that. I about to change the little filter that I read about in the pinned post above. Maybe that could affect the oil flow to the lifters? Never heard of that but the filter is called an oil sending unit/ lifter filter.

This is driving me crazy. No strange sounds prior to this repair. The shop in question performs all work on the trucks for my company so I know that are motivated to keep our business. Not saying something crooked isn't going on.

Archived