Popping rear end suspension

So I know this has been beating to death but I am still having issue with popping sound coming from the rear end of my truck. I have been into the dealership at least 3 times. They have heard the sound and preformed the TSB for greasing the pack, pads, and even bushings. And an odd one is greasing the front strut?

It seems like everyone has the issue at 10k miles and over, I am at 10,250miles.

My question is what part number are your springs that are having this problem?

#23401109 - double cab 4x4 - standard leaf spring

#23401108 - enhanced tow package spring

I have the 09 part number and I am trying to see if the 08 will possibly fix the problem.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In for this as well. 2016 dbl cab 4x4. Had the leaf springs re torqued, no change. Noise is most noticeable for me backing up and turning the wheel to the right. I DONT have the max trailer tow package. Dealer tried telling me it was normal and referencing a bulletin for drivetrain clunks that has been around for literally a decade. My noise became noticeable around 10k miles as well. Almost sounds like when the g80 locks, but no hopping from the rear of the truck when turning.

I have had the TSB done which is untorque the the U-bolts under own weight then retorque them (allowing them to "settle"), grease pack, and pads. I also had them drop the leafs and grease the bushings at both ends(again thinking something is binding). Again this only fixed it for a couple days which is less 50 miles of driving.

I am going in Wednesday for them to start to replace parts.

I love the truck but this noise just bugs me. It happens at slow speeds <20 mph when going over uneven surface. Doesn't matter if wheel is turned or brakes are applied. I know it’s not the front end because I did the test of jacking up the front end and blocking it up while I apply pressure to the rear.

I have had the TSB done which is untorque the the U-bolts under own weight then retorque them (allowing them to "settle"), grease pack, and pads. I also had them drop the leafs and grease the bushings at both ends(again thinking something is binding). Again this only fixed it for a couple days which is less 50 miles of driving. [/size]

I am going in Wednesday for them to start to replace parts. [/size]

I love the truck but this noise just bugs me. It happens at slow speeds <20 mph when going over uneven surface. Doesn't matter if wheel is turned or brakes are applied. I know it’s not the front end because I did the test of jacking up the front end and blocking it up while I apply pressure to the rear. [/size]

Do u have level or lift ? Any chance dealer could blame that a.

I am willing to bet it is the pads, they do the greasing which fixes it for the time being until road crap gets back in there and starts causing it again. Here is what I and others have done: Take the truck to a hand spray car wash, spray out all of the grease and crud between the springs, drive home and make sure it is dry, jack the rear of the truck up by the frame, take a screwdriver (flat head) and pry the springs apart ever so slightly, push in a piece (about 6 inch long) of bicycle inner tube, do this for each side of the truck where the pads are on the springs. Lower the truck down and take it for a drive. It fixed my popping noise completely.

I am willing to bet it is the pads, they do the greasing which fixes it for the time being until road crap gets back in there and starts causing it again. Here is what I and others have done: Take the truck to a hand spray car wash, spray out all of the grease and crud between the springs, drive home and make sure it is dry, jack the rear of the truck up by the frame, take a screwdriver (flat head) and pry the springs apart ever so slightly, push in a piece (about 6 inch long) of bicycle inner tube, do this for each side of the truck where the pads are on the springs. Lower the truck down and take it for a drive. It fixed my popping noise completely.

They already did the greasing it didn't even last a day for me and I was on paved roads. I have not done the tube "fix" because they said that my void the work that has been done. It was recommend just give the dealership time to step through everything before I go and do my own thing.

They did hint towards letting me drive a different vehicle to see if I hear it in that. Since I think they wonder if I'll pull a lemon card or not. But I have put exhaust, leveling, body lift, wheels, and MIT so I really don't want to walk away with the amount of time I have put into this truck to get it how I like.

They already did the greasing it didn't even last a day for me and I was on paved roads. I have not done the tube "fix" because they said that my void the work that has been done. It was recommend just give the dealership time to step through everything before I go and do my own thing.

They did hint towards letting me drive a different vehicle to see if I hear it in that. Since I think they wonder if I'll pull a lemon card or not. But I have put exhaust, leveling, body lift, wheels, and MIT so I really don't want to walk away with the amount of time I have put into this truck to get it how I like.

Mine lasted all of two days when they greased mine. I know your pain. I guess work the steps until you get new springs, from my research that'll last around 1,000 miles.

They are keeping the truck over night and replacing both leaf springs. They keep complaining that the leafs keep coming loose and moving around. That's why I recommended swap the enhanced springs sacrificing some ride quality, but I came from a 2500 so I'm not that picky. I just hate all the squeaking and popping.

GM told the dealership today not to replace anything because I have aftermarket wheels and level in the front. I did nothing to the rear suspension. And I guess the leaf springs are such cheap trash that they cannot support the weight of heavier tires. I guess I should have gotten a Colorado because they are just as capable!

GM told the dealership today not to replace anything because I have aftermarket wheels and level in the front. I did nothing to the rear suspension. And I guess the leaf springs are such cheap trash that they cannot support the weight of heavier tires. I guess I should have gotten a Colorado because they are just as capable!

Try out the inner tube man. See if it helps for you. It has seemed to work for everyone else that has tried it. I was not happy having to do it to such a nice truck but it is what it is at this point and I do not have to cringe every time I articulate the suspension.

Try out the inner tube man. See if it helps for you. It has seemed to work for everyone else that has tried it. I was not happy having to do it to such a nice truck but it is what it is at this point and I do not have to cringe every time I articulate the suspension.

My problem seems to be coming from the bushings. I have soaked them in oil and it goes away for awhile but comes back. And when the greased the pads it didn't affect the popping sound.

My problem seems to be coming from the bushings. I have soaked them in oil and it goes away for awhile but comes back. And when the greased the pads it didn't affect the popping sound.

I do not have any experience there, my bushings seem to be silent (knock on wood) let me know what you find out to do in case mine decide to start the popping game.

Archived