Torsion bars and shocks or just shock? Help!

It's a long one so bear with me please!

Truck:

2005 silverado 1500 z71 CC 5.3L

I'm in need of new shocks. I posted the other day in another forum about getting a level using the bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks (I had them on a ram 1/2 ton) before I realized I had torsion bar suspension. So after some research (yes I should have done more prior to my last post) I found that the simplest way to level it is to get new torsion keys and shocks. I have also read though that the ride suffers quite a bit cranking the bars. would upgraded shocks help the poor ride after cranking the bars? The ride is already rough as it is. I looked at the coilover conversion from atomic fabrication but I'm not sure I want to modify the entire suspension design just due to reliability because It's my daily driver.

If there is absolutely no way to level it without the ride suffering; what would be yalls suggestion on replacement shocks to help with the ride overall just keeping stock height? It just feels like I'm driving a wagon when going over all of the uneven roads and pot holes in my town. It also feels like I'm driving a semi the way it bounces over bumps on the highway. It also see saws when stopping. Shocks need to go just figuring out my best option while I'm messing with the suspension.

I would adjust the torsion bars to what ever gives you a level ride. Then I would replace the the shocks with either a mid grade shock or an adjustable mid grade shock. Either way, eBay will be the cheapest. After than, I would lower the tire pressure to the minimum acceptable level. Many people overlook the tires as part of the suspension, and its really the first line of defense against bumps on the road. Lower tire pressure will make your shocks and suspension bushings last longer too. When people put large rims with low-pro tires on their rigs, they all say the same thing: "wow, I didn't realize how much suspension I would lose by changing the rims and tires". Race cars have huge rims with rubber bands type tires, but look how bumpy a high speed race track is. If you put 14" wheels on your rig with huge low pressure balloon tires, you would notice a HUGE improvement on the suspension. In fact, many off-road vehicles were manufactured with no suspension at all, just big balloon tires - and they ride pretty smooth even over rough terrain.

I would adjust the torsion bars to what ever gives you a level ride. Then I would replace the the shocks with either a mid grade shock or an adjustable mid grade shock. Either way, eBay will be the cheapest. After than, I would lower the tire pressure to the minimum acceptable level. Many people overlook the tires as part of the suspension, and its really the first line of defense against bumps on the road. Lower tire pressure will make your shocks and suspension bushings last longer too. When people put large rims with low-pro tires on their rigs, they all say the same thing: "wow, I didn't realize how much suspension I would lose by changing the rims and tires". Race cars have huge rims with rubber bands type tires, but look how bumpy a high speed race track is. If you put 14" wheels on your rig with huge low pressure balloon tires, you would notice a HUGE improvement on the suspension. In fact, many off-road vehicles were manufactured with no suspension at all, just big balloon tires - and they ride pretty smooth even over rough terrain.

Thanks for the reply. I've got my tires set at 32psi right now. They're the discount tire brand A/T that are similar to the Hankooks.

Just a couple of questions. What is a "mid grade" shock? Price, quality, or some other description? Also, would cranking the bars and replacing the shocks give a rough ride or will the shocks offset the rough ride of preloaded bars?

Brand/model suggestions for shocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Each component has its own job to do for the suspension.

Tire: Absorb and dissipate the small bumps, (fine tune with size, shape, and pressure of the tire)

Torsion bars: Hold the body at the correct height, and allow for suspension travel. (adjust for body height, replace all or part for more weight capacity or higher height limit)

Shocks: Regulate the speed of the suspension travel. (many options to choose from, depending on your goals).

Softer shocks will absorb small impacts better, but the trade off is that it can increase body roll under certain conditions. Stiffer shocks help prevent body roll, but you feel more of the bumps. Adjustable shocks will allow you to customize the shock response based on the environment. There are different setting for compression, rebound, etc.

If your goal is to keep it inexpensive, I would recommend that you perform the work in the following order (stop when you achieve the desired result).

1) Tire pressure I would

Adjust the air pressure to the highest safe pressure and try driving it.

Adjust the air pressure to the lowest safe pressure and try driving it.

2) Shocks:

Replace worn out shocks with OEM shocks from a self service yard. ($25 total)

Or, buy some adjustable shocks on eBay.

3) Torsion bars:

Adjust the keys

Or Replace the keys with a different type

Or Replace the torsion bars with a different type.

Do more research before picking a shock, but this is probably the price range I would be looking at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rancho-Shock-RS9000XL-Triple-Tube-9-Way-Adjustable-Front-Chevy-GMC-2WD-4WD-/331920625082?fits=Year%3A2005%7CModel%3ASilverado+1500+HD&hash=item4d4802cdba:g:JisAAOSwZVlXmM6x&vxp=mtr

Please note: I am not a suspension expert.

Archived