Getting flashed?

fc_glk

I've noticed the ghetto HID bulb in a halogen housing to be prevelent with kids and the apparent non-english litterate, very annoying.

And also ILLEGAL according to federal law (if anybody cares) ...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you've driven in a 14/15 Sierra with stock headlights, you'd upgrade to HID too. They were absolutely terrible and imo downright dangerous in the rain at night. There's actually a class action lawsuit about them.

I've noticed since about 2011 that if you are going up an incline on coming traffic thinks you have your high beams on. Level ground no problem. Noticed that with people following me too. Something about the new head lights across all brands the look like you have brights on when you don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to see that info. I have LED bulbs in the factory reflector assembly and have had zero issues with other drivers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Most if not all states have laws that headlamps must give off white light. When driving I've seen the entire sprectrum from blue, pink, purple and green. Either the cops don't know or don't care.

I would love to see that info. I have LED bulbs in the factory reflector assembly and have had zero issues with other drivers.

This doesn't actually show the FMVSS Code (which is #108) but this guy helped write the code when he was a government employee. It's a LONG read but well worth it if you have the time:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Like others said most police officers don't enforce the rule which is why so many vehicles are driving around with LED or HID bulbs in reflector housings.

It is technically illegal to put the wrong kind of bulb in a housing it's not designed for.

I've noticed since about 2011 that if you are going up an incline on coming traffic thinks you have your high beams on. Level ground no problem. Noticed that with people following me too. Something about the new head lights across all brands the look like you have brights on when you don't.

This is doubly true with the '14+ Sierra's because they don't have a seperate high beam so the bulb is always full bore bright and uses a flap inside the projector to give low or high beams, so while going up a hill the person in front or oncoming gets blasted with essentially a cut in half high beam.

It is technically illegal to put the wrong kind of bulb in a housing it's not designed for.

Where is this law. I read the link Sk posted and that is info off a private sellers website with no reference. I googled the code #108 and read 30 mins of that and found nothing that related to bulbs and housings. Is this like the law that states it is illegal to put a non TPMS valve in a vehicle equipped with a TPMS system. I believe that is a NHTSA regulation.

Where is this law. I read the link Sk posted and that is info off a private sellers website with no reference. I googled the code #108 and read 30 mins of that and found nothing that related to bulbs and housings. Is this like the law that states it is illegal to put a non TPMS valve in a vehicle equipped with a TPMS system. I believe that is a NHTSA regulation.

When you change the bulb type from how the unit was designed, it is no longer a DOT approved unit and therefore illegal.

These LED lights are defiantly bright... I have yet to install my leveling kit but already have seen people cover up their mirrors when I pull up behind them at stop lights... I actually find it amusing but I'm sure they are hating me lol :lol:

Same here. If I can distinctly see the drivers face in the mirrors, i tend to back off. However, if you cut me off, i have no sympathy.

Not trying to be mean because I know how bad some headlights can be but what you are doing is dangerous and at the very least a butthole move. You ARE putting unnecessary light into people's cars and you are impairing their abilities (which are already lacking IMO!) to drive safely. Just something to think about

Not trying to be mean because I know how bad some headlights can be but what you are doing is dangerous and at the very least a butthole move. You ARE putting unnecessary light into people's cars and you are impairing their abilities (which are already lacking IMO!) to drive safely. Just something to think about

Everyone's a saint huh. I am curious though. I saw your light bar thread and was wondering if you ever got a cover for it as required by law. Also, did you do the all on high mod that was suggested cuz that is also illegal.

Everyone's a saint huh. I am curious though. I saw your light bar thread and was wondering if you ever got a cover for it as required by law. Also, did you do the all on high mod that was suggested cuz that is also illegal.

lol I'm far from a saint but you have me mistaken because I have no light bar. And never have heard of the all on high mod. Nor do I have a light mod thread.

And there is a difference between being a saint and being a jerk to others on the road.

lol I'm far from a saint but you have me mistaken because I have no light bar. And never have heard of the all on high mod. Nor do I have a light mod thread.

And there is a difference between being a saint and being a jerk to others on the road.

My bad. You commented on someone else's thread about a light bar. My point is we all do things that are technically illegal. The common thought here is if you change bulbs it's illegal. So everyone that puts led bulbs in cargo or plate lights is breaking the law. How am I a jerk if my lights are just as bright as a Mercedes or Audi.

No one on this thread can show any referance info.

Aside from the link to a sellers website.

I love my headlights and would recommend them to others.

Archived