Hurricane Irma and Octane.

I live in Tampa Bay, an area that was expected to be a direct hit for Irma. Luckily we were spared. I have a 4 and a 1 year old, so when it appeared we were in the path of destruction, we boarded up and got out of town. Drove up to South Carolina and back in the Silverado. Because of the gas issues(shortages), I ran a whole tank of 87 and one of 89, along with a mixed tank of 87/93. I did not notice a darn thing between the different octane, I was concerned to fill up a full tank with 87, but had no other choice. This was mainly highway driving at cruising speed, with 5 passenger and a truck bed full of stuff. Gas mileage seemed to be down but I was loaded up. I am running a Diablo canned tune with AFM turned off.

I didn't notice any pinging, lagging, knocking, not a thing,. Granted I was not towing my boat, or going WOT.

thoughts?

Must be a real conservative tune then.

When the gas station attendant accidentally put 87 in my black bear tuned 6.2, I was knocking like crazy.

It took a little while for it to start, it was a hot day and I was driving aggressively. (Didn't know it was 87 until I heard it and looked at the receipt)

You may have not been on the throttle hard enough or it wasn't hot enough, or it just wasn't bad enough that you heard it.

Most of the knocking happened at low rpm high throttle.

I feel like the tune could have helped in this situation. Not sure. A lot of different variables could have affected it, but I still would never risk (if possible) putting anything below 89 in the 6.2. Obviously way more comfortable with 91+. I run 89 in my 5.3 and it seems to like it better than 87, although I will resort to 87 sometimes if I feel the gas station is reputable enough (top tier).

I live in the Dallas area and gas here is spotty but generally available. However, it's all regular 87 octane only. It's burning ok in my 6.2 as all I'm doing is driving out and about in no-load situations. However, this coming week I'm scheduled to make a trip towing my 6,000 lb TT. I'd rather not make the drive on 87 octane. So, looking for recommendations for a good octane booster additive. Appreciate any and all inputs. Thanks :)

Archived