I Put an iPad on my dashboard and I love it

First of all, let me say that I absolutely love my stock sound system.

My truck is a 2015 Silverado LS, and as good quality my stock stereo sounds, I hate its screen, it has big pixels, and it is just ugly looking.

So, I decided that I wanted to have an iPad to cover for it, plus with the tablet, I can have all my music and stuff there, to free some memory from my iPhone, and a bigger screen to use for GPS navigation, both for Street/On-Road driving and Off-Road routing.

The total cost for this mod was around $200 dollars for the iPad (Gen4 Wifi+Cellular) and less than $3 dollars for the velcro I used to mount it to my dashboard.

I totally recommend this to anyone interested on doing this, and I'm very happy with the performance of the setup and with its looks.

-You can pull the iPad off the dash and use it normally at home.

-Cheaper solution than buying a Lowrance professional GPS plotter that goes for 1,000+ US$

-Bigger Screen is easier to read, rather than using your phone

So, without further ado, here is the process and finished product, hope you guys enjoy the video:

• Like 2

That is actually not a terrible idea, it looks good there too. I have been trying to figure out what to do about an infotainment system for my truck utilizing the HDMI input to my pioneer but might as well bypass it altogether... Hmmmm...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That is actually not a terrible idea, it looks good there too. I have been trying to figure out what to do about an infotainment system for my truck utilizing the HDMI input to my pioneer but might as well bypass it altogether... Hmmmm...

Like most things I do: Bad Idea, Brilliant Execution

I didnt bypass anything, I just leave the radio on AUX and run my music and everything from the iPad, so its the ultimate infotainment, you can even play movies and so on it, if you have kids

Just be advised that If you want to also use it for GPS Navigation (Waze, Off-Road tracking or so, like I do) you will need a Wifi+Cellular model, since wifi-only iPads don't have the GPS module built within them.

• Like 1

I saw this video the other day and though it was an interesting idea.

They used an iPad mini, and I thought it looked very good installed...

I would need a plug and play kit though. Not sure I can do the fab work.

-S

I saw this video the other day and though it was an interesting idea.

They used an iPad mini, and I thought it looked very good installed...

I would need a plug and play kit though. Not sure I can do the fab work.

That looks way more professional lol, looks great actually.

The nice thing about my set up is that I can take the iPad off the dash and use it at home or so, and if I don't want to use it on the truck anymore, I can just remove the velcro sticker from the dash and iPad and it doesn't leave any residue.

It also depends on your truck, if I had a GMC Sierra, I would have put more thought on making it look nice and everything

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Irby1757 said:

Heads up to everyone interested. I just put my order in. 

77245BBF-0DD6-4FF6-AA8C-B7C48B043123.jpeg

Oh wow.  Thanks just ordered one too.  I have an extra iPad laying around and I ordered one of those flexible arms that you're supposed to mount to the seat bolt but I could never find anywhere to mount it.  This is perfect.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...