Michelin Defender LTX OR Goodyear Wrangler variances

Fellow Chevy Peeps,

I know the Michelin is a great tire, harder tires last longer but some say they don't handle as well

The Wrangler has softer rubber and may wear faster but might give better performance

I am also trying to decide on highway or All-Terrain

(I'll be driving between 200 and 300 miles every other weekend to find a home in Delaware)

Here are some choices I've been looking at (don't go by prices in links, I would shop it)

I would really appreciate your experience here, its my first set of truck tires

Thank You

Joe

Michelin Defender LTX M/S

https://www.michelinman.com/tire/michelin/defender-ltx-m-s

Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure With Kevlar

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-all-terrain-adventure

Wrangler Fortitude HT

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-fortitude-ht?cta=BBCardTireName

I do agree,, Michelin builds a great tire...

For my overall driving, mud, gravel roads, interstate, snow,, etc., I always have been happy and safe with BFG AT's..

Had installed on 2-Toyotas, 1-Blazer, 1-Tahoe and will be installing 285/55/20's on my 16 RCSB in November to get rid of crap SR'A's..

Compound / Tread is a bit hard but they do last !!

Cheers----K

I just put a set of Defender LTXs on my Denali. I did a lot of research, and for a street tire, it's just about the king of the hill. Bought them at Costco, and 4 275/55/R20 tires were just under $1000. I don't even recall what tires were on there previously, but the improvement in ride was substantial. And everything I've seen/read on sites like Discount Tire and Tire Rack tell me they should do quite well for my daughter in college during winters in upstate NY. And they should also last 70,000+ miles.

For my other vehicles, the two Jeeps and the Suburban, I go with Wrangler Duratracs. Hands down, the best bad weather tire I've ever had. And they do pretty good offroading, too (Colorado, Moab, Arizona, etc - see my avatar pic). I've got 50,000 miles on my current set on my Suburban, and I'll probably replace them before the snow starts. And that includes about 20,000 miles of towing at max GCW with trailers over 7,000 lbs.

If your truck stays mostly on the street, I'd go with the Michelins. If you want some offroad capability, or extra traction in snow/rain/ice, then go with Duratracs.

Im about month in on a new set of the Defender LTX M/S tires on my 1500 2008 truck. They are very good on rain slicked roads, siping on the tires is well placed. Dry traction is tops and my highway driving got alot smoother. They have a soft rubber compound and the grip is good. I take the same way back and forth to work and theirs a couple places I always would slide when it was wet, not anymore. I would recommended them any day but there not cheap by any means. I spent a chunk after mount, balance, and I did a front alignment but I felt I choice wisely with this set of tires. I will probably go with them for my HD truck when the time comes for new rubber

Well thanks guys,

Looks like I'll be going with the Michelin Defender LTX, I prefer the longer lasting highway tire, I have another set of wheels, maybe I'll throw some good off road tires on them

The Michelin may cost more but hearing how well they are in rain AND not having to replace them for that many miles makes it cost effective.

Thanks to all, your input makes this less stressful for sure!!

Now for the best pricing LOL

I had the Goodyear Wrangler's with Kevlar and ironically they were the only tires I have ever had that were punctured by a plain old sharp rock on a gravel road. Good snow and ice traction though. I replaced the Goodyear's with Hankooks and I like these better. The stock Bridgestone's were tough to beat also but they liked grab and throw rocks.

Actually several places have the Defender cheaper than the Goodyear. Check with Wally World for pricing for one and Discount tire.Wally probably doesn't stock them but should be able to order them from the tire warehouse they do business with. They were the best price and I made Discoun Tire match them. I just got a set of Defenders back during Labor day when Discount tire had big promo.for just under $800. Replaced the earlier version of the Defender which was called the LTX M/S2. Got 75,000 miles out of 'em

Not very happy with the longevity of the Defenders on my truck. Will have to replace them next year and have less than 20,000 miles on them, rotated every 4000-5000 miles and less than 2 years on them. They are quiet though which I appreciate.

Archived