Amsoil oil not Dexos1 Gen.2 rated?

I changed with Amsoil signature series on my first service. Not sure if it's worth it since I don't keep vehicles more that 3 yrs but it makes me feel good lol. $12.95 / QT @ 9 Qts, yep that hurt lol, but I'll do it again for future oil changes.

I'm not one that cares what people do with their own money, but man that's a ripoff. I'm sure it's great oil but they can keep it for $13 a quart.

What does it do for your engine that Mobil 1 off the shelf at Walmart doesn't? At 25k, the oil must be filthy. Plus you have to change filters anyway, not much more effort to drain the oil if you're already under the truck.

I'm not one that cares what people do with their own money, but man that's a ripoff. I'm sure it's great oil but they can keep it for $13 a quart.

What does it do for your engine that Mobil 1 off the shelf at Walmart doesn't? At 25k, the oil must be filthy. Plus you have to change filters anyway, not much more effort to drain the oil if you're already under the truck.

Yea well buying from the manufacturer's website tends to be that way. Individual Amsoil dealers clearly will have it cheaper. As for what it does? Besides make me feel good, nothing that Mobil 1 (another favorite of mine), or any other quality brand does.

Hey, if it makes you feel good, go for it!

The what does it do that Mobil 1 doesn't was an honest question. I've considered Amsoil but I really haven't found a tangible benefit yet, other than supposed 25k oil change intervals. I'm willing to be made a believer, but I'm just not convinced yet.

Edited by yamaha0343

Consider this.

Your oil is like a sponge. A sponge will hold so much water, then it is saturated. It can hold no more so the water drips , runs out of the sponge.

Your oil will become saturated with the by products of combustion, friction and when the filter can no longer remove these by products as it has been saturated also where do these by products go?

IMO they are coating the inside of your engine.

My 2 cents.

My oil changes cost $20 with a filter. 3 k miles. Cheap insurance. Quaker State Semi-Syn Dexos 1, fleet oil filters. Been doing this for years and thousands of miles. I put an average of 200 k miles on my vehicles.

gallery_151788_3839_12753.gif

I know keep blabbing.

:happysad:

I changed with Amsoil signature series on my first service. Not sure if it's worth it since I don't keep vehicles more that 3 yrs but it makes me feel good lol. $12.95 / QT @ 9 Qts, yep that hurt lol, but I'll do it again for future oil changes.

AMSOIL has a Preferred Customer program. It is where you buy everything at wholesale prices, similar to Sam's Club. You pay $20 a year and get everything at the wholesale price. So know about 25% or so off that retail price you paid. Also they hold promotions like free shipping and give-aways to preferred customers. If you are interested in what it would have cost, or if anyone else is let me know iin a PM and I can price it for you. I'm not allowed to post publicly the wholesale prices.

In the 80-90s I ran amsoil in everything at its full extended recommended intervals up to 25K miles. My heavy equipment we used and sold ( 100s) we double the hrs between changes no failures. All my new vehicles run synthetic from the factory with extended drains mostly 10K miles. The problem is a majority of people even car dealers waste money not using oil to its potential. Dealers to make money, people its fear or lack of knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AMSOIL has a Preferred Customer program. It is where you buy everything at wholesale prices, similar to Sam's Club. You pay $20 a year and get everything at the wholesale price. So know about 25% or so off that retail price you paid. Also they hold promotions like free shipping and give-aways to preferred customers. If you are interested in what it would have cost, or if anyone else is let me know iin a PM and I can price it for you. I'm not allowed to post publicly the wholesale prices.

Yea thanks for that. I looked into it before not sure why I didn't do it. PC program would be $8.90 / QT for the signature series oil.

Any of the dexos approved oils will work just fine for those expecting to keep your truck 300,000+ miles. I'd be more concerned about the type of filter you are using for these extended drain intervals of over 5000 miles. Your basic AC/Delco filter is not a filter I would use for anything over 5000 miles. You need a premium/platinum type filter.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Amsoil SS and don’t have any problems. I don’t run it to 25k or even 15k. I usually change it around 10k miles along with a Wix XP filter. Peace of mind to have great protection. Next oil change I’m gonna do an oil sample

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

Amsoil SS is a great oil, when I  was canyon racing in the north Georgia mountains with my Hemi all I used was Amsoil the entire time I was racing. Blackstone oil reports were perfect;  even after 5k miles, 6000+ RPM's for hours up and down the canyons all weekend, week after week, month after month, and then to the strip to drag some mustangs through the traps. Amsoil never failed me under those conditions. If you race, tow heavy, lead footed, off road, Amsoil will serve you well. 

As for extended oil drain intervals, I don't buy into that, buts that's just my opinion. Oil gets dirty. 

There is some additional oil testing data in the link in my signature, 216 oils tested and compared against one another. Enjoy!

• 5 months later...

I agree, the filter is one thing that gets overlooked for quality.  Something like the Amsoil oil filter, M1 filter,  Napa Gold/Platinum, etc.  Something with a synthetic filter media instead of cellulose will filter to a lower micron and offer an even better beta flow rate.  

On the oil front, I have never used a official dexos certified oil.  I just never worried about it.  I use the same brand, Schaeffer, that I get for my commercial trucks.  They developed the lubricants for the M1 Abrams tank and the Apache attack helicopter.  They even make some specialty products for Shell and Mobil.   They have been making lubricants longer than anyone else in N. America... since 1839.  I think they might have a good idea on how to lubricate a motor.  And they don't waste time fiddling with getting the "official" dexos certification.  

That is not anything against any other brand.  Mobil, Amsoil, Valvoline, etc all make good quality oils.  Heck, even Supertech at Wally World is a good oil.  If being on the official dexos list is important to someone, then get one of the oils on the list.  I just don't worry about it.  Dexos is a very good standard, but even it is surpassed in some ways by other specs.  dexos certification is not the "gold standard" in oil certifications.  

I change the oil in my 2500 6.0 once a year.  But I never put more than 6000 miles on it in a year.  My wife's Caddy, it gets changed every 7000-8000 miles.  My commercial stuff, I take to 50% longer than the OEM recommended drain intervals.  One of my heavy trucks has 868,000 miles on it and uses less oil than most pickup trucks... about 1 qt in 12,000 miles. Used oil samples on it look as good as when the motor had 50,000 miles on it.   I am not into wildly extended drain intervals, but modern oils are more than capable of  going longer than most folks take them.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...