2016 Yukon Denali Bolt-On Performance

So I'm wanting to do some bolt-ons to my denali and see if I can't open her up a little bit. What I'm looking at is an Airaid Intake, American Racing Headers and a Borla Touring Exhaust. I know a tune can do a lot, but I was thinking if I don't tune it, then if there was a warranty issue I could bolt-off and put the stock parts back on to bring it in for warranty. Could I do the rest of this without a tune? I know they can be a huge improvement, but I'm just on the fence with the warranty deal. Whats your experience with this and what have you guys done?

None of those bolt ons will add performance though, maybe a c hair from the headers, and if you want headers, you will need to tune it. Tune and headers you can see 30-40hp. Intake and catback will add sound and not much else.

IMO just take what you have stock and tune it. Stock air box and filter flows for quite a bit of horsepower, as well as the stock exhaust. As long as nothing blows up under warranty, you are fine. Put a hole in the block and the dealer pulls the calibrations and sends them to GM? You will lose your warranty.

I don't remember where it was, but I was looking at a forum last night, someone had (different brands) the same parts on theirs and dyno results with it stock as well as with a tune. Stock with the parts was like a 36hp boost, and with a tune only added a couple more hp over the stock with the same parts. I'll have to see if I can find it.

You'll have to forgive me as I haven't done a lot of this, but you wouldnt be able to use the stock exhaust with the new LT headers would you?

I guess another thing I was wondering is whether to go cat or no cat. I don't have emissions requirements where I'm at, but I'm not sure how sensors would work if cats were removed. would my CEL be on all the time?

Stock airbox is great, filter and elbow are restrictive. Go with the Airaid kit that just adds a high flow filter to the stock box and a smoother, larger intake elbow without all of the extra sound deadening compartments.

I also found these 6.2's suffer from a pedal that is programmed to be sluggish and of course the infamous give in the plastic pedal mount, hence the "paint stick" mod. I suggest you look at that.

I did a 20% throttle boost with my Diablo tuner and it made a nice difference.

I don't remember where it was, but I was looking at a forum last night, someone had (different brands) the same parts on theirs and dyno results with it stock as well as with a tune. Stock with the parts was like a 36hp boost, and with a tune only added a couple more hp over the stock with the same parts. I'll have to see if I can find it.

You'll have to forgive me as I haven't done a lot of this, but you wouldnt be able to use the stock exhaust with the new LT headers would you?

I guess another thing I was wondering is whether to go cat or no cat. I don't have emissions requirements where I'm at, but I'm not sure how sensors would work if cats were removed. would my CEL be on all the time?

But a tune would optimize the added air flow from the headers and correct any leaning out of the air/fuel mixture throughout the powerband. You would be selling your self short not tuning it if you did headers.

As for bolting headers to stock exhaust, you have to look for companies that sell factory connect headers.

I just traded into a new 2017 Denali XL and it was sluggish not too responsive in comparison to my 2015 Denali. Thought maybe it needed to be broken in a bit more. I checked out the gas pedal flex and was shocked at how much it flexed and moved. Unbolted it, pryed it up a but and used the Home depot large paint stick cut to size and jammed it flat under the pedal on the bottom. It was a major difference and she is quite a bit more responsive. Start there. I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize the warranty. Read of too many motors and trannys needing replacement. Not a big issue or percentage, but it would be if it happened to you.

• 2 months later...

You need to buy a spare E92 Controller and do the tune on it , leave the stock controller alone, swap them out along with stock airbox and what ever else changes you made before you go for warranty work. I heard this was the way to go for getting around a tune under warranty worries.Was trying to link an Ebay page with a new E92 controller for $67.00 . Can't figure out how to link it, but look on Ebay, there forsale !!!

1 hour ago, PDYoung said:

You need to buy a spare E92 Controller and do the tune on it , leave the stock controller alone, swap them out along with stock airbox and what ever else changes you made before you go for warranty work. I heard this was the way to go for getting around a tune under warranty worries.Was trying to link an Ebay page with a new E92 controller for $67.00 . Can't figure out how to link it, but look on Ebay, there forsale !!!

Wouldn't there be a mismatch between hours reported on the spare and odometer miles that "might" raise a warranty issue?

That i really don't know. i have a e-forced fed 2011 6.2 now,i'm going to sell it or trade it for a new 6.2 Sierra or Silverado, i'm going to try the ECM swap when i get it tuned, i guess my fingers will be crossed if i ever have to take it in under warranty.

Archived