Front End Shudder when Brakes get hot

jacko

Hello. I have a 2013 2500HD Silverado. While traveling through Colorado (Loveland and Veil Pass's) to be exact, on the down slope, and with a 14 foot trailer loaded with camping gear, my truck front end begins to shudder/shimmy after a lot of braking. I have trailer brakes on one axle and tried compression braking as much as possible. But, the front truck brakes still got hot. I have taken this trip many times, and several times with a Ford F-150, and never experienced this before this truck. Does any one know if this is a design flaw of the 2500HD Silverado, should I change brake pads, rotors? To me it just seems odd that my 2500HD does this, and the F-150 had not issues at all.

I bought it new and have made three trips to CO with the setup. The first trip I do not remember it doing this, but two years ago, and last week, it did this going down the pass's. The brakes seem very robust upon inspection. I guess I need to take it to a shop and have a professional look at them.

Hello. I have a 2013 2500HD Silverado. While traveling through Colorado (Loveland and Veil Pass's) to be exact, on the down slope, and with a 14 foot trailer loaded with camping gear, my truck front end begins to shudder/shimmy after a lot of braking. I have trailer brakes on one axle and tried compression braking as much as possible. But, the front truck brakes still got hot. I have taken this trip many times, and several times with a Ford F-150, and never experienced this before this truck. Does any one know if this is a design flaw of the 2500HD Silverado, should I change brake pads, rotors? To me it just seems odd that my 2500HD does this, and the F-150 had not issues at all.

Rotors are likely bad, mine does the same thing and has scale building up on the rotor face now (inside face).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Yeah my truck did it violently, but I have 37 inch tires so it made it worse. I replaced all 4 calipers and rotors and pads and it all went away. I would suggest front rotors and pads depending on how they look, or have them cut and sand the pad faces if they still have some decent meat left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all for the responses. I will get the front rotors and pads checked! My guess is the damage was done on the first trip without realizing it. This last trip I put it in 3rd and did not use the brakes much. It did not shudder much, but was noticeable on the the West going down slopes which are steeper and longer than the East going. It did not shudder at all coming East.

Archived