Iceman's 2015 project Blackbird

Iceman22

husky make a full matt - goes under storage unit . looks like you got the short one .husky web page

Yea, that's what I meant when I said I went back and forth on the full or partial coverage rear. I wish I had gone full coverage rear like you mentioned but at the time I was worried if it would make the under-seat storage bin sit funny. Next time! Or if I could find someone that wanted to buy my current rear liner from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next up was a tonneau cover. And man was this sensory overload. I must have spent a week straight at night after work reading through threads and searching retail websites. In my head I wanted a hard tri-fold that was flush mount with the rails and wouldn't require removing it if I needed access for something tall that spanned the length of the bed.

That being said I didn't even know if that existed. But, as luck would have it I came across the Undercover Flex and it was exactly what I had visioned. Doesn't stick up above bed rails and will fold a 3rd time up against the cab. Plus in the general scheme of things it's pretty water tight. Not perfect but certainly exceeded expectations!

d8c65be409ae110572c670de02035530.jpga87677592b7d512b019b834fb4980f6b.jpg

Loved the midnight edition but hated Chevy decided to have the horizontal grill slats still be chrome. So I enlisted the local Halo EFX dealer spray my grill, front bow tie and rear bow tie. Quality would have you believe thats how it came from Chevy but at the same time it's easily reversible if that ever becomes a necessity. It's amazing how far "plasti-dip" type products have come

84394b0df653a4de49482764a6f816b4.jpg

df23c64ec040847298063a4897200924.jpg

Completely spaced about the chrome "Silverado" and "LTZ" when I had the work done..... what do you guys think?

1) leave it as is

2) have them dipped black as well

3) remove them completely

Next up was towing mirrors. They were the only thing I wanted but my truck didn't originally come with. Mine came with power folding DL3's. I knew my buddies High Country 2500 had power folding tow mirrors so i figured it'd be a direct swap and didn't bother researching any further before buying my truck.

A week after bringing my truck home I went to my local GM dealership where they told me the only set that would work were non-power folding. They went on to say another guy like me had come in before and had them try to retrofit power folders on his 1500 Denali which ultimately resulted in $2,500 spent all in vain. My heart sank as it was truly the only mod I really wanted and I couldn't get away with non-power folding because of garage door width clearance.

I came home and spent all night googling if there was a work around. Finally, I came across Phil's thread and I felt like it hit the lottery. I sent him a PM asking him to call me the following day and we ended up talking for a good 30 minutes. His customer service is second to none! Without hesitation I bought a set of harnesses from Phil which was a smooth and fast transaction.

Then I ordered a set of OEM towing mirrors because at the time I just wasn't convinced of the fit/finish/build quality of the 1Aauto vs OEM. [Phil has since posted a video comparing them and knowing what I know now I probably would have gone for the 1Aauto's and saved some money] The whole installation was easier than expected but I think it was mostly due to Phil's great DIY video.

Got them installed and instantly hated the huge chrome back-caps so I had the same place that did my grill hydro-dip the mirrors. He did a great job but the texture is smooth and the color is Matte Black so when looking in the area of the front door you see: the Gloss back of the truck, the Matte Black of the back-caps and the textured Black of the mirror arm. In my opinion its just too many different Blacks. It's okay for now but I'll have let come up with a plan B

da265dd64f610e4ff7fdb84c7f5a2ab1.jpg

Loved the midnight edition but hated Chevy decided to have the horizontal grill slats still be chrome. So I enlisted the local Halo EFX dealer spray my grill, front bow tie and rear bow tie. Quality would have you believe thats how it came from Chevy but at the same time it's easily reversible if that ever becomes a necessity. It's amazing how far "plasti-dip" type products have come

84394b0df653a4de49482764a6f816b4.jpg

df23c64ec040847298063a4897200924.jpg

Completely spaced about the chrome "Silverado" and "LTZ" when I had the work done..... what do you guys think?

1) leave it as is

2) have them dipped black as well

3) remove them completely

looks good - did your guy just spray the cross bars ?? What about your door emblems (Z71 Black) ? chevy makes a Black / Red Silverado emblem ( Red line model) .

looks good - did your guy just spray the cross bars ?? What about your door emblems (Z71 Black) ? chevy makes a Black / Red Silverado emblem ( Red line model) .

He described the grill as being a 2-piece setup. He took it apart and sprayed all the horizontal slats and what they're mounted on.

Definitely getting rid of the red! Stay tuned [emoji6]

He described the grill as being a 2-piece setup. He took it apart and sprayed all the horizontal slats and what they're mounted on.

Definitely getting rid of the red! Stay tuned [emoji6]

thank you - waiting for your next photo

looks good. tint those windows ???

Here you go!

Tint to match. Every other vehicle I've owned I've gone with 5% but I decided to try something different this time. If I'm honest I miss the way 5% looks when parked but I do like the opposite side of things which is I can actually see to make left hand turns at night

de3a5d687ae735db7c6fdc5b0e8e2d0a.jpg657b9f1795e2ffa24d520ee284bd12ed.jpg

Here you go!

Tint to match. Every other vehicle I've owned I've gone with 5% but I decided to try something different this time. If I'm honest I miss the way 5% looks when parked but I do like the opposite side of things which is I can actually see to make left hand turns at night

de3a5d687ae735db7c6fdc5b0e8e2d0a.jpg657b9f1795e2ffa24d520ee284bd12ed.jpg

looks good - What about your emblems ( Z71 door , Tailgate ) ????

looks good - What about your emblems ( Z71 door , Tailgate ) ????

That have all been switched to Royal Blue. I originally was going to go with Black but I wanted to do something with a subtle nod to the thin blue line as I'm a LEO. I picked up some blue outdoor vinyl and spent the better part of 6hrs accomplishing it.

I'm kicking myself because I wish I had better document the process. It was a bear to remove all the Red off the z71 badges. I thought it was was just a sticker but it's clearly not! Had to do three in total as the midnight edition only gets the 2 front doors and the grill.

After you completely remove the Red you are left with a fully mirrored surface. With The truck being Black it was really cool to see because at most angles it would reflect the Black paint around it and give it the appearance of it having black vinyl laid over it even though it didn't. We'll see how well this Blue outdoor vinyl holds up; especially this up coming winter and then go from there...

654dd1b0a498b3cdf8ca37c06a4dca5d.jpg

805ad9b7985d8089c4a5eddff18f515d.jpg

That have all been switched to Royal Blue. I originally was going to go with Black but I wanted to do something with a subtle nod to the thin blue line as I'm a LEO. I picked up some blue outdoor vinyl and spent the better part of 6hrs accomplishing it.

I'm kicking myself because I wish I had better document the process. It was a bear to remove all the Red off the z71 badges. I thought it was was just a sticker but it's clearly not! Had to do three in total as the midnight edition only gets the 2 front doors and the grill.

After you completely remove the Red you are left with a fully mirrored surface. With The truck being Black it was really cool to see because at most angles it would reflect the Black paint around it and give it the appearance of it having black vinyl laid over it even though it didn't. We'll see how well this Blue outdoor vinyl holds up; especially this up coming winter and then go from there...

654dd1b0a498b3cdf8ca37c06a4dca5d.jpg

805ad9b7985d8089c4a5eddff18f515d.jpg

looks good - were did you find the vinyl ? I think the grill be the hard to do. SO what is the easy way to remove the red ?? Thank you for your service from a Ret. DOC

looks good - were did you find the vinyl ? I think the grill be the hard to do. SO what is the easy way to remove the red ?? Thank you for your service from a Ret. DOC

And thank you for yours. You guys all deserve more credit than you receive! I deal with bad guys for a couple hours at most while you could have to deal with them for years.

I found the vinyl at Michaels craft store out of all places. You are correct, the grill is even harder than the doors because you can't really lean into it with anything or you'll break the mounts that appear to make it float inside the grill.

I went at the Red with an X-acto knife, fine nosed tweezers, pro-strength Goof Off, nail polish remover and about 200 q-tips. The goof off is safe for our paint but I'd be very careful with the nail polish remover. I Blue painters taped around it with multiple levels just to have some safety built in. Whatever you do, don't use a heat gun. It made the adhesive on the back side of the Red even harder to remove!

I guess you could also try to trace the decal with tracer paper, use it as a form to cut out new vinyl and then lay it over the Red. But I was afraid if it wasn't perfect it would show through on the edges

And thank you for yours. You guys all deserve more credit than you receive! I deal with bad guys for a couple hours at most while you could have to deal with them for years.

I found the vinyl at Michaels craft store out of all places. You are correct, the grill is even harder than the doors because you can't really lean into it with anything or you'll break the mounts that appear to make it float inside the grill.

I went at the Red with an X-acto knife, fine nosed tweezers, pro-strength Goof Off, nail polish remover and about 200 q-tips. The goof off is safe for our paint but I'd be very careful with the nail polish remover. I Blue painters taped around it with multiple levels just to have some safety built in. Whatever you do, don't use a heat gun. It made the adhesive on the back side of the Red even harder to remove!

I guess you could also try to trace the decal with tracer paper, use it as a form to cut out new vinyl and then lay it over the Red. But I was afraid if it wasn't perfect it would show through on the edges

Thank You for the information

Next mod after vinyl was frame plugs and and mudflaps

Picked up the plugs on eBay since the flush mounts were sold out on amazon and I did not want the recessed ones. Very happy with the fit and finish. They're no going anywhere!

And although I really wanted factory paint matched flaps I just couldn't convince myself to drill into the fender so I went with weathertech's. Just about a perfect fit and went on without having to remove the rear wheels since I had a stubby 1/4 drive.

c43a858e34035f869b7d64c008d7e2bf.jpg6647408657051408dd4a24086e8d23d0.jpg

b17dce6489daa8310e0ddfc84c91f53f.jpg87a856f8b1866b97c21b726d175e18c5.jpg

Archived