Iceman's 2015 project Blackbird

Iceman22

Amp steps installed. I don't think I'll ever be able to own a truck without them moving forward. Love the OBD2 port Plug-n-Play.

2d0df846f3ef487c3b242796f741558f.jpg63bc33702afca958856ba424b97c5d0c.jpg307bf0bd3a70d3d4ccab59a7bc7f668c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Truck is lookin good. I was sure the red was just a decal, (although before the white overlay was on I though the red was painted).If it’s not a decal, what is it? I just had the white put over the red and cut away the excess red. I wish I had done it your way though!

66034d1be587c0d8972d96c2572cae29.jpg

2017 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71 6.2L

4.5" Zone

22x10 AF Grips

33x12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers

Instagram @wildchevys

Amp steps installed. I don't think I'll ever be able to own a truck without them moving forward. Love the OBD2 port Plug-n-Play.

2d0df846f3ef487c3b242796f741558f.jpg63bc33702afca958856ba424b97c5d0c.jpg307bf0bd3a70d3d4ccab59a7bc7f668c.jpg

holy crap you have me thinking here. I am almost tempted to ask @pgamboa if he could do a custom harness set for this to keep the OBD2 port unoccupied.

2015 1500 LT Silverado Midnight Edition

holy crap you have me thinking here. I am almost tempted to ask @pgamboa if he could do a custom harness set for this to keep the OBD2 port unoccupied.

I thought Amp Steps makes an OBDII Plug that keeps the port open? It doesn’t “Y” off?

I thought Amp Steps makes an OBDII Plug that keeps the port open? It doesn’t “Y” off?

just looked through directions, it does look like you can get a pass through harness to plug into OBD2 port and has another port on that to use in case you need to actually use the OBD2. But I would still want it to look factory. I wonder what signal it intercepts to open and close??

Truck is lookin good. I was sure the red was just a decal, (although before the white overlay was on I though the red was painted).If it’s not a decal, what is it? I just had the white put over the red and cut away the excess red. I wish I had done it your way though!

Alright man..... it's bad enough you haunt me in the regular part of the forum. Now you've gotta come to my own build thread and remind me I should have never settled for Black after telling myself I would only buy white lol! You've got a great looking truck :)

To answer your questions; I'm still not sure. I thought it was 110% a sticker but it didn't peel like one. I expected to be able to get under the corner with a set of vinyl tweezers and just gently pull off in one whole piece; boy was I wrong.... Instead it came off in about 40+ little chips/chunks almost like nail polish on my Mrs. fingers. To make make matters worse the backside of it had an adhesive from hell. It resembled small ultra-sticky buggers that would smear across the emblem instead of coming off. You didn't really remove them as much as roll them around and make it worse.

Tried the other side with a heat gun after struggling with the first one just as it was. Heatgun ended up making the adhesive's properties even worse. I was sitting on a small stool out in my driveway for literally hours staring at my door while simultaneously swearing and going through a massive amount of cleaning solutions and q-tips. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm nuts lol.

The Mrs makes police shadow boxes utilizing vinyl so I'm comfortable in saying I know it's not vinyl. If it was it would have removed 100x's easier. Maybe it's a sticker like I've never seen before or maybe it was some hybrid sticker/paint concoction?

1220e110e10d8fa8ebe9c60c3cfb6466.jpgb57bd0881d705e8d7ad57d8eab80b9e3.jpg2f8c68e84da9cd5062b15170ffcc943c.jpg37a5d93028c94787e6be473634e11741.jpg

(Figured you might appreciate these)

I'm convinced if it involves a wire for a '14+, he can do it lol

just looked through directions, it does look like you can get a pass through harness to plug into OBD2 port and has another port on that to use in case you need to actually use the OBD2. But I would still want it to look factory. I wonder what signal it intercepts to open and close??

My P-n-P set came with a 90 degrees OBD2 dongle that is not pass through or Y'd off. Maybe that was an option and I didn't realize it? The 90 degrees plug is nice because it allows the cable to be hidden better. That being said a Y or pass through would be nice because I just ordered a auto-cal and now obviously I've gotta unplug the steps to run the tuner. I'll have to research for a work around.

Not sure what signal it intercepts but it must be something that shows the individual doors. Because, the steps will drop for the front or rear door opening. Plus it's also smart enough to know if both doors are open and then one door closes to still remain in the down position.

Alright man..... it's bad enough you haunt me in the regular part of the forum. Now you've gotta come to my own build thread and remind me I should have never settled for Black after telling myself I would only buy white lol! You've got a great looking truck :)

To answer your questions; I'm still not sure. I thought it was 110% a sticker but it didn't peel like one. I expected to be able to get under the corner with a set of vinyl tweezers and just gently pull off in one whole piece; boy was I wrong.... Instead it came off in about 40+ little chips/chunks almost like nail polish on my Mrs. fingers. To make make matters worse the backside of it had an adhesive from hell. It resembled small ultra-sticky buggers that would smear across the emblem instead of coming off. You didn't really remove them as much as roll them around and make it worse.

Tried the other side with a heat gun after struggling with the first one just as it was. Heatgun ended up making the adhesive's properties even worse. I was sitting on a small stool out in my driveway for literally hours staring at my door while simultaneously swearing and going through a massive amount of cleaning solutions and q-tips. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm nuts lol.

The Mrs makes police shadow boxes utilizing vinyl so I'm comfortable in saying I know it's not vinyl. If it was it would have removed 100x's easier. Maybe it's a sticker like I've never seen before or maybe it was some hybrid sticker/paint concoction?

1220e110e10d8fa8ebe9c60c3cfb6466.jpgb57bd0881d705e8d7ad57d8eab80b9e3.jpg2f8c68e84da9cd5062b15170ffcc943c.jpg37a5d93028c94787e6be473634e11741.jpg

(Figured you might appreciate these)

thats crazy about the emblem, maybe going over it WAS the right choice lol. Either way yours came out great!!

Those shadow boxes are AMAZING!!! I just got done making one for myself with all my ranks that I can continue with (as I hopefully continue to get promoted lol) . I’ve turned into a HUGE fan of LEO artwork. Hopefully when I upgrade our house I can have a spot to start collecting.

4.5" Zone

22x10 AF Grips

Instagram @wildchevys

thats crazy about the emblem, maybe going over it WAS the right choice lol. Either way yours came out great!!

Those shadow boxes are AMAZING!!! I just got done making one for myself with all my ranks that I can continue with (as I hopefully continue to get promoted lol) . I’ve turned into a HUGE fan of LEO artwork. Hopefully when I upgrade our house I can have a spot to start collecting.

Haha, I started to think about just overlaying it about 1/2 way through the process.

And I hear you about having a spot. The Mrs has everyone room decorated with some theme or another already and states LEO stuff would clash. And since my basement is unfinished I don't really have a "man space".

Hoping to change that with the next house that's hopefully much further south! We're currently toying with the idea of Florida. We originally wanted the Carolina's but they don't pay for sh*t! Don't want to deal with snow anymore but I'm having a rough time finding anything south of the Mason Dixon line that is even close to my current pay :/

Haha, I started to think about just overlaying it about 1/2 way through the process.

And I hear you about having a spot. The Mrs has everyone room decorated with some theme or another already and states LEO stuff would clash. And since my basement is unfinished I don't really have a "man space".

Hoping to change that with the next house that's hopefully much further south! We're currently toying with the idea of Florida. We originally wanted the Carolina's but they don't pay for sh*t! Don't want to deal with snow anymore but I'm having a rough time finding anything south of the Mason Dixon line that is even close to my current pay :/

i hear ya bro. We wanna move to Delaware, but I only have 8.5 years to go and since my kids are in school and when I’m done I’ll still be 43 we’re just gonna wait. Delaware doesn’t tax your pension either!

4.5" Zone

22x10 AF Grips

Instagram @wildchevys

i hear ya bro. We wanna move to Delaware, but I only have 8.5 years to go and since my kids are in school and when I’m done I’ll still be 43 we’re just gonna wait. Delaware doesn’t tax your pension either!

You've got a little more time on than me so I can definitely understand your thought process. Delaware is gorgeous. We have family in Bethany beach and I really like it down there but it's still a little to cold for me in the winter months. I'm meant to be in 90 degrees with high humidity lol.

I've got 4 years on so we're trying to make the move soon before I get to a point where it doesn't really make sense because of things like seniority and obtaining topped out pay....

Truck update:

After seeing the pedal flex thread the other day I ran outside to check mine. I had previously thought the delayed throttle response I was noticing was 100% due to the torque management settings so I was eager to see if I was falling victim to both issues.

Pulled the loop under the pedal and sure as sh*t it moved what I would call a significant distance.... Finally caught a day off and went to Lowes this morning to buy a paint stir stick. Brought it home and cut it into 5ths. Took a caliper to it just for my own knowledge and each piece measured out at 0.12 inch.

Began the process of sliding one in at a time until I was able shim the plastic bracket from moving at all. Ended up being able to stack them 4 high so my gap from the backside of the plastic bracket to the firewall was 0.48 inch.

Just about a 1/2 inch Chevy? Really? I was initially really frustrated as it seemed like a high number compared to what other guys reported, but that quickly went away when I took it for a test drive. What a Huge difference! Can't exactly time it but I would say it took out a significant part of the delay in throttle response. Now I've just gotta get a black bear tune for the 8speed and the truck will be how it should have came from the factory

5560b81086c1755e33ebc09cdd40161c.jpg

You've got a little more time on than me so I can definitely understand your thought process. Delaware is gorgeous. We have family in Bethany beach and I really like it down there but it's still a little to cold for me in the winter months. I'm meant to be in 90 degrees with high humidity lol.

I've got 4 years on so we're trying to make the move soon before I get to a point where it doesn't really make sense because of things like seniority and obtaining topped out pay....

lol, we go to Bethany every year for vacation, I love it there! Taco Taco is the shit!!

4.5" Zone

22x10 AF Grips

Instagram @wildchevys

Got a Dremel 4000 kit for this past Christmas and finally decided to put it to use....My receiver had begun to surface rust. Hitch has seen very limited action but clearly it was enough to score the factory coating.

Went at the receiver with a combo of sanding stone and wire wheel attachments. It worked really well! Cleaned it all up and hit it with a few coats of Rust-oleum Flat Black protective enamel. Very happy with the results. Now I'm just debating if I should go over it with a Gloss black since the receiver is so close to my Gloss Black bumper or if I should leave it as is.

c211d008f2030f4b86471630b8e80ba7.jpg

Also want to pick up a receiver plug but I'm all over the board on what to get. Half of me wants a thin Blue line Punisher skull but then the other 1/2 of me wants to just get a really subtle Black plug and the get a perforated punisher skull for the back window. Was heavily leaning towards a nice hitch plug but a guy at work has a spartan warrior helmet he spent $80 on and it has not held up well between NE winters and everyday road throw. Anyone have any thoughts?

bf3e3707db7e547a1bcfcc7b7da3a3d7.jpg

13a3ac8466958cf702134f3219494588.jpg

Big shout out to TeamsterGene! I previously had my factory chrome towing mirror back-caps professionally hydro-dipped black. While the quality was fine the Black was smooth. It bugged me vs the textured appearance of the arm. TeamsterGene reached out to me and graciously offered to send me his textured Black caps that he had already replaced with Chrome for just he cost of shipping. I felt like I had hit the lottery! Stand up guy and further goes to prove how awesome this community is :)

Before:

0928415158db6f5ab187295eb36b08b4.jpg

After:

88178f1daa7e61c8111f1e1ebbd98c7d.jpg

Archived