factory all terrain tires in winter?

I have a 2017 1500 slt all terrain with the 6.2l and I was planning on running the factory 275/55r20 "all terrain" tires this winter. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these tires in the winter and what they thought about them? I understand that they will not be as good as a winter tire but didn't know how bad they really are. I also attached a pic of my truck as we all love pics haha...

post-172387-0-13691400-1505897316_thumb.jpg

Those appear to be Nitto tires on aftermarket wheels. You have a separate set of stock tires and wheels you're looking to run during the winter months?

EDIT: Just re-read your post... The stock 275/50R20 Goodyear LS-2 tires on my new 17 Denali are more of an "All Season" tire than an "All Terrain" tire. Don't know if you stock tires are the same or not. These are the same tires I had on a rental SUV last year and they did very well in on a ski trip I was on. I'll guess that these will work for this winter in my area and around Lake Tahoe. But next year I should have a new set of tires that are more of a true all-terrain type tire.

Wrangler SR-A's , if that's what you are talking about, SUCK.... I traded mine in for some real AT tires the first week I had my truck.... I run Cooper all terrain tires, I don't remember the model at the moment but, they work much better than the Wranglers.

4wd with crap tires will get you a lot further than a 2wd with decent tires. I have Michelin ltx defenders and had zero issues in the snow. Just take your time and use common sense and you'll have no issues this winter.

My 2000 was a 2wd and with Michelin ltx tires the truck handled great in the snow. Now that I've had Michelin ltx's on my 09 4wd and my 15 4wd traction has been outstanding! I have no concerns venturing out on unplowed roads.

I was just talking to pgamboa about my Michelin ltx defenders. Awesome tires!! They are great in the snow and ride so nice.

I had some blizzaks on my old s10, and honestly couldn't tell a difference. Snow tires aren't worth it to me.

I have a 2017 1500 slt all terrain with the 6.2l and I was planning on running the factory 275/55r20 "all terrain" tires this winter. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these tires in the winter and what they thought about them?

I take it that you just want to protect your fancy wheels from salt. You should be fine running the factory shoes over winter.

First- the factory "all terrain tires" are really "all season" tires. There have been threads about people claiming they were mis-advertised. The factory SR-As are nothing more than all-season street tires.

That said, I have lived through 2 NE Wisconsin winters on the factory rubber. They are ok in the snow, not great, not terrible. As with any tires in snow- you can outdrive them no matter how fancy your snow tires are. Yes, I plan to replace them with some real winter-rated tires as soon as I feel like my tread is gone, but They are not so bad that I'm willing to throw them away tomorrow. I am a fan of Cooper and will probably be buying some more. The SR-A's are worth more to me on the truck than any small performance gains I would get buying new tires.

And I use my truck to plow 2 rural driveways and drive about 5 miles each way on un-plowed country roads every time it snows. I still have to adjust my driving to fit the conditions. But I've never felt the tires were holding me back.

4wd with crap tires will get you a lot further than a 2wd with decent tires. I have Michelin ltx defenders and had zero issues in the snow. Just take your time and use common sense and you'll have no issues this winter.

Not sure I agree. A lot of driving in snow has to do with stopping. You want a tire that stays pliable at cold temps ( 40 to 45F) and has deep(er) treads. Also, more sidewall does not hurt. BTW, the OEM 20's that came on my truck were horrible in snow. Admittedly, a 2500 handles differently than a 1500 in the snow, but when I put on a pair of AT's rated for snow duty the difference was night and day.

I've ran mine for 2 winters and will again be running them this winter. If the roads are snowy or slushy I just throw it in Auto, I mean, that's why I have a 4x4 anyway. I haven't had any situations where I was like ohhh crap!! And I am not one to really slow it down in the snow either.

I remember just a few years ago when I was younger, 16-22 in my previous truck, I used to think that I needed my BFG A/Ts so I could easily run 2wd in snowy conditions and not need my 4x4, or the Auto mode. Since I bought this truck at 23, and now being 25, I'm just like wtf was I even thinking, was I cool because I drove around in 2wd in the snow?

My two cents:

Put the darn thing in Auto and don't even worry about sliding out from a stop or sliding out around a corner as traffic is coming, whether you got slicks or the meanest A/T tires. Get on the gas n rock n roll bud, with confidence.

Archived