2012 GMC Sierra slight play in steering

I just purchased a 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 sle with 118,000 miles. It has slight play in the steering but enough to somewhat wander especially at 55 mph and up. I’ve checked over the tie rod ends and they are tight and no play when steering is turned. Are their any common problems with these trucks that could be causing this? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just purchased a 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 sle with 118,000 miles. It has slight play in the steering but enough to somewhat wander especially at 55 mph and up. I’ve checked over the tie rod ends and they are tight and no play when steering is turned. Are their any common problems with these trucks that could be causing this? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steering shaft could be worn from the column or at the gear. Two parts on those trucks, the one under the hood goes from the gear to a connection point with the intermediate, and then the intermediate is from that point to the column.

• 1 month later...

There is no adjustment in the rack as far as I know, but I can tell you I looked into a steering wheel looseness issue for over a year before I found this little video that described my symptom precisely. I thought the rack was loose in my truck too, but it turned out to be in the upper column. Theres 2 set screws (torx head) that must wear into the shaft and become loose. I tightened them down and all of my looseness went away. You need to remove the column cover to see them, and only certain torx drivers will fit (its tight in there). 

Experienced a slight vagueness in the front end and steering correction necessary when crown in the road changed.

Traced it down to the Rack & Pinion.

There IS an adjustment. Search for "Gear Rack Bearing Preload Adjustment".

I made the appropriate adjustments with so-so results.

Installed a rebuilt unit and all is better.

Not that expensive. Installation was a chore, but not horrible.

Archived