Hill descent control

I thought all Z71s came with hill descent control? I bought a 2014 LTZ Z71 and didn't realise it was missing the button until I got home. So I purchased the stab control switch with the decent control button and plugged it in. Everything works except for the hill decent control. Does anyone know if I need to buy more parts, or have my bcm programmed to work with the button? Thanks.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems weird that you would not have it on a Z71, I thought it was standard, too. Must have been part of some package deal. I have it on my 2015 all-star edition Z71.

It sounds like it cannot be added if it was not factory equipped.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/155409-hill-decent-control/

I thought all Z71s came with hill descent control? I bought a 2014 LTZ Z71 and didn't realise it was missing the button until I got home. So I purchased the stab control switch with the decent control button and plugged it in. Everything works except for the hill decent control. Does anyone know if I need to buy more parts, or have my bcm programmed to work with the button? Thanks.

First thing I would do is check your glove box and see if you have the RPO code Z71 listed. Second clue would be the rancho shocks. It is pretty easy to slap some stickers on and call it a Z71.

Will be interesting to see if you have the Z71 RPO code.

What do your dash gauges look like? Are they "checkered" with the Z71 logo? And is your console/door trim woodgrain, synthesis (looks like aluminum), or the Z71 checkered (looks kind of like carbon fiber)?

I hate to say it but if you bought the truck used it sounds like you may have gotten a non-Z71 that the previous owner added some but not all of the Z71 features. Hopefully that's not the case!

Will be interesting to see if you have the Z71 RPO code.

What do your dash gauges look like? Are they "checkered" with the Z71 logo? And is your console/door trim woodgrain, synthesis (looks like aluminum), or the Z71 checkered (looks kind of like carbon fiber)?

I hate to say it but if you bought the truck used it sounds like you may have gotten a non-Z71 that the previous owner added some but not all of the Z71 features. Hopefully that's not the case!

Unfortunately, that is what I am thinking. I had/made an SS emerald green 4 cylinder S10 one time.

Of that's the case the dealership is going to have a problem. No z71 gauges and wood grain.

That would explain the lack of the switch/option and no Rancho shocks. Might want to talk at an attorney first to see what recourse you might have, to at least get your ducks in a row before you unload on them.

Why would someone go through all the effort and cost to put Z71 decals on, replace the door seals with Z71 door seals, replace the front grill with a Z71 grill, and install the skid plates?

Because a z71 will sell for more. And they are counting on you thinking it is a z71 or maybe the original owner liked some of the looks of a z71. Some people do wierd shit and think it makes it more valuable. The dealership would of run the vin or should have and it would of popped up as a z71 if it was a factory z71

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As it turns out, it's a 1LZ. They even underlined it. I never thought to double check the rpo codes. It has an oem Z71 grill, oem Z71 decals, oem Z71 sill plates, oem Z71 skid plates.

Moral of the story is, if you see wood, it's not a Z71 (2LZ). I still love the truck. I'm really only missing decent control, but honestly how often is it used?

Archived