2017 6.2L 1500 vs 2015 6.6L 2500: Cost of Ownership

Hey everyone, first time poster.

Looking to get a new truck. I'm torn between the 1500 6.2L crew with max trailering and 6.6L 2500 crew. Was wanting to get your opinions on pros/cons and cost of ownership. I can get either a new 2017 1500 or a 2015 2500 with about 30k miles.

I commute about 60 miles per day. I do tow across the country about 10 times a year, pulling 7,000 to 9,000 lbs each time. Otherwise, I'll pull the trailer empty (about 3.5k lbs) every now and then.

There are times I go over mountains, so I'd like to know if the 6.2L would keep up; however, 93 octane here in Texas is way more expensive than diesel because of all the disasters.

I like that the 6.2 gets better mpg for my commute and can still pull a lot, but gas just costs a ton and it won't hold its value quite as well as the 2500 in 8-9 years when I want a new truck.

Whats your opinion between the 2 and which do you think in the long run (8-9 yrs) would be the better buy, especially from cost of ownership stand point and resale value.

Thanks

Driving across the country 10 times a year? If its 4k miles there and back that 40k miles of towing 7-9k lbs per year on top of your normal commute.

1500 is out of he question imo, it cant handle that for 8-9 years

Duramax is calling your name with that much towing

Driving across the country 10 times a year? If its 4k miles there and back that 40k miles of towing 7-9k lbs per year on top of your normal commute.

I would have to agree. As much as I like my 6.2 max-tow I would constantly be wishing for a 3/4 ton, diesel or otherwise. I pulled 5000 # across country a few months ago through the mountains and the 6.2 amazed me along with the 8speed. ( The trans doesn't amaze me often, lol) however you're talking a lot more weight and much more often.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Generally each trip is 1k-3k miles round.

Is the cost of fuel and maintenance a big difference though?

Both of these trucks will do the job you are describing, imo. Cost of ownership over the long haul depends mostly on the truck. I owned a 2000 Silverado that all it needed in my 9 years of ownership was a new battery at year 6. My 2009 Sierra was constantly in the shop for the first 3 years. The issue for me in your example would be buying used vs buying new. A 5.3 V8 1500 with the max trailer package will meet your needs and so will a 2500 with the gas 6.0. If you are having trouble deciding between the two you have selected maybe look at other combinations. I personally believe a new 2500 gas would be a strong contender if I was in your situation. The engine has been called "bullet proof". The fuel economy isn't one of its finer qualities but you save the money up front when compared to the cost of a more fuel friendly diesel.

As much as I drive outside of towing, mpg is definitely a big factor, which is why I am not interested at all in the 2500 6.0L

Have you considered 2 different vehicles?

The two needs you have are totally different and I’ve always been a big advocate of buying multiple cars for different tasks instead of a do everything vehicle. The cost of ownership is probably the same or less doing that.

Duramax does not get that good of mileage unloaded from what I understand

Have you considered 2 different vehicles?

The two needs you have are totally different and I’ve always been a big advocate of buying multiple cars for different tasks instead of a do everything vehicle. The cost of ownership is probably the same or less doing that.

Duramax does not get that good of mileage unloaded from what I understand

Not in the budget

• 2 months later...

Everybody talking about this 12 K as if that’s the big difference or fuel mileage… As someone who has owned both, the big difference is maintenance ( cost of ownership). Oil changes on a diesel are More than double,  they go from $50 or $60 for oil change, and tire rotate; to well over $100,  then you have to add DEF fluid,  and change fuel filters often. 

Brakes,  calipers, starters, U-joints etc. anything parts wise is double the cost in any 2500hd ( which is why I get confused on here when people challenge the 2500 HD 6 L versus the 6.2 1500 as if it just matters with the tiny bit of fuel mileage )...  2500hd cost more, a lot more.

Just last year my Duramax had a wheel bearing Fail, because in a full flooring rear the bearing race is part of the axle, bearing and came apart and ruined the axle, and I needed to replace a rear end.  If you get an 8 foot bed with a 2500, you end up having a carrier bearing which will fail often when towing.  The list goes on, with all that said I love Duramax is and I love 1500s, for what they do well... If you go with the Duramax, know it’s going to cost you a heck of a lot more money, but  be amazing quality of life when towing a cross country, if you go 6.2 it will be nicer for your work commute, a lot cheaper, but you’re going to feel the trailer across country every time.

Well, we need to be a little fair.  Oil changes are not necessarily "double" in cost.  Especially if one does it themselves.  It depends on where you get your filters and oil.  I can get HDEO rated syn blend oil for well under $20 a gallon quite easily.  And the Dmax will go for longer oil changes, even though it takes more oil in the sump.  It would seem the OP is primarily looking at long distance highway miles.  That is prime diesel territory.  It is quite common to take a typical Dmax in highway use to 15K miles before the oil is really needing a change.  Probably longer.  And that is very safe.  Not too many 6.2's are going to be as nice on oil at those distances.   If it were me, and primarily highway miles, I wouldn't consider changing oil in a Dmax till 20K miles.  Modern diesels, primarily the HD variety, are easily going to 50K miles on oil changes.   And that is OEM recommended!

Sure brakes and other items cost more on a  2500, but they tend to outperform and last longer than 1500 stuff by a considerable margin.

Fuel.... the diesel will win most of the time.   While diesel is higher than regular gas, in most places it is cheaper than Premium, which the 6.2 calls for, especially if one is working it.   And under working conditions, the 6.2 is not going to beat the Dmax in mpg by much, if any.

Diesel in my area is averaging $2.80.    Premium is hovering around $3.   Under towing conditions, both engines will probably deliver similar mpg numbers, with maybe the Dmax edging out the 6.2.  Let's say at 15 mpg while towing.... diesel would cost 18.7 cents a mile.  Premium would cost 20 cents  mile.  Not much on the surface, but rack up some miles and the difference can be substantial.  

I can easily buy DEF for $1.79 a gallon any day of the week.  So it is not really a serious factor in the cost equation. Less than a couple of breakfast sandwiches at McDonald's off the dollar menu.

17 hours ago, Matthew Manzari said:

Everybody talking about this 12 K as if that’s the big difference or fuel mileage… As someone who has owned both, the big difference is maintenance ( cost of ownership). Oil changes on a diesel are More than double,  they go from $50 or $60 for oil change, and tire rotate; to well over $100,  then you have to add DEF fluid,  and change fuel filters often. 

Brakes,  calipers, starters, U-joints etc. anything parts wise is double the cost in any 2500hd ( which is why I get confused on here when people challenge the 2500 HD 6 L versus the 6.2 1500 as if it just matters with the tiny bit of fuel mileage )...  2500hd cost more, a lot more.

Just last year my Duramax had a wheel bearing Fail, because in a full flooring rear the bearing race is part of the axle, bearing and came apart and ruined the axle, and I needed to replace a rear end.  If you get an 8 foot bed with a 2500, you end up having a carrier bearing which will fail often when towing.  The list goes on, with all that said I love Duramax is and I love 1500s, for what they do well... If you go with the Duramax, know it’s going to cost you a heck of a lot more money, but  be amazing quality of life when towing a cross country, if you go 6.2 it will be nicer for your work commute, a lot cheaper, but you’re going to feel the trailer across country every time.

Dude......all that stuff is more expensive because its stronger

In an extreme example, it’s like saying your $20k office printer has $150 toner replacement costs and your little inkjet has $40 ink replacment cost, disregarding the fact that the toner cartridge can print 50x as much stuff

On 9/21/2017 at 1:59 PM, halhawkins said:

Not in the budget

Sure it is.  You just choose to not allocate your budget that way.

I'm guessing you are going to spend around $55k for a max tow 6.2 1500 or a 30k mileage DMax.

For ~$12k you can get a low miles Cruze that gets 30+mpg to commute 

For ~$45k you can get a higher mileage DMax for your occasional towing needs.

It may not be what you want to drive daily and it may mean taking on an older truck, but it is technically within your likely budget.

Now if you need to tow everyday on your commute, that changes the conversation, but that isn't how you understood your post.

Archived