Frame rusting

rmart

First of all, how do you search the forums? I can't see an option to do so.

Now, on to my topic of concern.

My truck (2014 GMC Sierra SLT) was built in February of 2014, purchased by an owner who had it for a couple months and decided he wanted a diesel truck instead. Basically he took his truck and reordered the same truck but a 3/4 ton with diesel and traded this one in. I purchased it in July of 2014 with only 5,000 miles on it. Got a pretty good deal too. I love everything about this truck but the payment...

And the frame now...

When I checked out the truck before purchasing I even got underneath and checked out the undercarriage. Still looked clean and new. When I was signing the papers they offered me an appearance warranty which would cover paint issues, damage to the interior, rust, etc. They offered me a good deal on that so I bit on that as well. Part of that package included an undercoating and protective spray coating of the frame and suspension components. Said it would significantly delay the onset of your typical surface rust on the frame.

Check out these pics:

CyQnXag.jpg

nr509DD.jpg

yCQG3DP.jpg

O353s8s.jpg

m6qEPVU.jpg

wNB9zEY.jpg

q20k7DM.jpg

MYVHOvj.jpg

1HP9b3P.jpg

1l98IiZ.jpg

mZ85L7F.jpg

o3AbVV5.jpg

(this should be the maximum amount of rust visible after only three years and that on an untreated frame...

RBFlDb4.jpg

vYb2BSE.jpg

9WZ1SWN.jpg

pQGA4G9.jpg

JBO5o0e.jpg

ZjoFkTo.jpg

HPN8euK.jpg

Qmh2XbQ.jpg

7DDs4rA.jpg

6jrsgni.jpg

Am I wrong to expect less rust, especially after a protectant has been sprayed over the metal? How good can 'high-strength steel' be if it rusts this much after only three years?

This vehicle has never been submerged in water much less salt water, and during my ownership hasn't even been driven that much on salty streets in the winter.

I working with the company that warranties the treatment and with the dealer but I'm fearful that their 'fix' will be just just scrape off the loose protectant and rust scale and just reapply the coating over the leftover rust.

Anyone else having this issue or is it just my truck?

They all rust here and there. Mine did. Yours has more than mine, but it's just surface rust. It's not affecting the integrity of the structure. Even if you did nothing about it, it would take a very long time to compromise structure. That being said, what I did was go over the rust with a wire brush and got all the loose flakes off. I then painted it with Permatex rust converter. Once that dried for about 24 hours, I applied Daubert Nox Rust, which is the factory wax coating. It looks brand new.

One question in your situation is what product did they spray on your frame. Some of the products degrade the factory wax protective coating and actually leave your frame exposed.

• Like 1

One question in your situation is what product did they spray on your frame. Some of the products degrade the factory wax protective coating and actually leave your frame exposed.

This was my first thought as well.. wondering if whatever undercoating they applied completely counteracted the factory wax coating?

• Like 1

I appears you paid for something they didn't do. There should be some trace of the protectant somewhere. I'm not seeing it.

What he said ^^^

Not sure about the US, but in parts of Canada they use a thick tar like substance to undercoat with when you buy that option at the dealer. None of that is present in your pics. It looks like it's just the original frame wax.

Edited by 3beejay3
  • Like 2

I {am} working with the company that warranties the treatment and with the dealer but I'm fearful that their 'fix' will be just just scrape off the loose protectant and rust scale and just reapply the coating over the leftover rust.

Anyone else having this issue or is it just my truck?

It sounds like you are on top of the situation and need to see the preparation done prior to them reapplying any coating. Keep pictures like you have here of the process. I have owned many trucks and lived in areas with pretty harsh winters and have not seen this type of rust pattern on the oldest of my trucks. If I was in your position, I would take these pictures and a copy of the "appearance warranty" for preliminary legal advice. Your truck is safe and you will probably not own it long enough for rust to be a problem. However, as it is, your chances of a good price at sale time are pretty slim!

I know gm uses that crappy wax coating, but at least give us an option when ordering a new truck to have the frame powder coated for an extra grand or something. I'd pay it.

Personally, I'd prefer it to be galvanized or something. I'd at least like the option here in the rust belt and would pay a reasonable amount for it.

Edited by 3beejay3

My 2014 is at the dealer getting this repaired right now. There is a repair bulletin on this although I had to call 8 different dealers to get one to actually make the repair. TSB# 14002A or #pI0564H should be the correct bulletin to reference

• Like 1