Mountain out of a mole hill

Just had my 14 Silverado LT (5.3, 3.42 Z71) in for new tires, had a new 17 as a rental (also LT, 5.3 with the 3.08 non Z71), so had a few days of great comparison which got me thinking about all the complaints some make that would make some people think previous years or all years are junk or half the trucks suffer from some issue (hence the thread title). I have multiple friends and co-workers with 14+ GM trucks and have been in them countless times, so this isn't just one truck.

First, I have yet to be in a truck that shakes. This one was buttery smooth even above 80. The shocks only having 1900 miles on it and compared to my Rancho shocks with 30k on them handled very similar and I was thinking how this rental was a touch tighter and how it rode great, so when I got back in mine there wasn't much change. The headlights while an improvement were a slight improvement (and I have the reflector housings), two people have 14 GMC's and those headlights are fine at night. These aren't as some would say a 1000 times better or worth an upgrade to a brand new truck or spend $1000's to swap headlights. They were a little brighter, mostly just whiter giving the effect. They did throw a little more light to the side but maybe 20% more in certain spots, not enough to greatly increase seeing a deer or anything.The 3.08's felt similar to my truck with the 3.42 even when stock. Transmissions both shifted great with very little hunt and mostly smooth crisp shifts

It did seem like the throttle has more response and quicker tip in, and the engine had a throatier sound, more intake noise and a touch more exhaust. It had an aftermarket tip, it wasn't enough to sound anywhere near like an catback.

Long story short, the Rancho shocks in no way are garbage. Mine handled the Apline loop, White Rim trail and some others just fine and rode similar to these new ones on the rental on the road over broken pavement and large highway woops (it got me thinking how car like trucks have gotten over the years in terms of how they ride and handle). Headlights were maybe 10% better. Truck felt no slower even though some swear it is dog like with 3.08 (nothing noticeable in the seat of the pants or with numbers as tests have shown). Not a lick of shake in this truck (or any I have been in).

So not sure why people try and make things that are minor or very few actually have and try to spin it in to some sort of mountain of troubles most every truck has because they don't. I can't help but laugh at those people and wonder what they gain saying such things. Ok, you have a few mostly minor issues with your truck, it in no way means all others do. Makes me wonder if they actually have driven other vehicles or have some sort of image complex where they have to knock anything that isn't the top option or something.

Either way, they have all been great GM trucks. GM did a great job on them and they should last just as long if not longer than previous gens that are notorious for being long lasting. And any new comers that read this, just ignore the complainers, they are mostly wrong and just trying to spill fluff to bring attention to their rogue issue. Enjoy the trucks, I am and most on here are...

Tyler

The bad ones are a small number in the relative scheme of things. I was an informed consumer, and when I test drove my 2017 with 4 miles on the odometer, i took it up to 90 to ensure a smooth driveline. It passed the initial test. Overall build quality is good. I am super happy with this one as I was with my 2013.

Tyler,

Being in the automotive arena for close to a half a century, I find America has a lot of "professional bit*hers". When they complain, it's usually is a situation they wanted, ...but not what they expected. It was their decision to make their choice to purchase the vehicle / parts on their lack of research, education, or just plain machoism.

Another area I see a lot is the world is the "blame game" and "breach logic" for things that involve their vehicles. Every bit*h is a deflection from the person who wasn't smart enough to do the research in the first place.

99.999% of the time, it goes back to person's poor judgement.

I guess Tyler vacated his comment??? ...oh well !!!

Tyler,

Being in the automotive arena for close to a half a century, I find America has a lot of "professional bit*hers". When they complain, it's usually is a situation they wanted, ...but not what they expected. It was their decision to make their choice to purchase the vehicle / parts on their lack of research, education, or just plain machoism.

Another area I see a lot is the world is the "blame game" and "breach logic" for things that involve their vehicles. Every bit*h is a deflection from the person who wasn't smart enough to do the research in the first place.

99.999% of the time, it goes back to person's poor judgement.

Agree

:happysad:

When I had my '14 the only complaint I had was the 3.08 gears. I know I was told that the gearing in the 6 speed made it the same as the 3.73s in my '98 with a 4 speed. But, I thought it was sad that the tow rating was less in the '14 than it was for my '98, a whole 1K lbs less. I do remember hauling a love seat for someone. It had some weight, but not that much and I felt it in the truck. Made me feel like I had literally 1 ton of weight in the bed. I would have never felt that in my '98. The only time I felt the weight in the '98 was with I hauled 1 or 1 1/2 ton of rock and when I helped my best friend move to where I had the bed filled (including full size fridge) and a tandem axle U-haul that was filled to every inch. I had planned on changing the gears to at least 3.42, but don't have it anymore.

With everything I've read on here, there are some things I can understand someone being mad about. But, as you basically pointed out, there are something things that people complain about that isn't really worth it. I remember someone complaining that the AC didn't blow as cold as an older vehicle they had and said it was about a 5° difference. I don't think I would have even felt that. Also I never had a problem with the Rancho shocks or the Goodyear SR-A tires. Are there better out there? Of course, but they weren't trash like some people make them out to be.

Trucks used to be for work and nobody cared about how comfortable they should be. Then they started to become daily drivers that people wanted to be comfortable while still tough enough to work. Now, more people than ever buy a truck just so they can say they have one and then they have a pissing contest with friends and neighbors. Those are the same people that fall easily into fads so they can "customize" their truck even though for the most part modded trucks look similar. They're also the same people that want to put a lift on their truck even though they know it won't go off of asphalt, and then they ask how their gas mileage will be effected. That's like buying a Corvette and then worry about gas mileage. Go around to people that race and see how many care about gas mileage. If the 350 in my '83 blows up and I'm able to turn it into a 383 stroker, do you think I'd care about gas mileage? The last thing I have a full size truck is for gas mileage. It's funny that people complain about how much they cost while still wanting all of these features. It seems like it's usually the ones buying the high end trims that complain about the price, yet they still buy it. Also they still complain even after getting all of the incentives and stuff. I actually paid the same for my '14 LT double cab (not fully optioned, but well optioned) than an ex co-worker paid for their Nissan Frontier. So that would be like me paying the same for a Colorado as I did for the Silverado.

Having the 3.08 versus the 3.42s may not be noticeable at sea level, but come here to Colorado, drive both and tell me you can't tell a difference. There's a reason dealers here don't keep the 3.08 on the lot.

I agree, while many people can get by with the capability of a full size equipped with tge 3.08s, a V8 eeuipped full size should have more towing capability than a comparable truck equipped with a V6 or midsize; especially if there is no upcharge between the two gear options.

I have always been a Ford man since my first car in high school .Came over to Chevy last Febuary and so far am very pleased with my Silverado. Would like to see a paint that isnt so soft but so far thats minor and all brands have some faults

it is funny how so many people complain about the same nit-picky stuff on forums regardless of make and model. I've got my new truck now & couldn't be happier. But reading through the forum posts, i've seen complaints about paint quality, oil life or use, creases or folds in seats, funny noises. etc. All of which I've seen in Toyota Tundra forums, VW Golf GTI & Golf R forums, Ford F150's, etc.

Good discussion.

There are some recurring, unique problems that shouldn't be brushed aside. Transmissions. Is it exclusively programming? Shake? I haven't experienced in two vehicles, so can't expound.

The other stuff: paint quality (mine seems better than previous vehicles), shocks (I have the Z60 and think it's incredibly responsive and comfortable), seat leather, etc. - other brand forums read very similarly.

Archived