BEST OIL AND FILTER FOR 6.2L HIGH MILES

hey guys! i know this has been discussed a million times, but never know what if our gm engines LOVE a specific type of oil.

So my truck is an 07 ext, on the original engine with 330,000 km's on it.

In the past it was always on Mobil 1 synthetic from the dealership, at 290k i started using amsoil for a couple changes, then royal purple for a couple, and now ive been running pennzoil ultra platinum. I heard the ultra platinum had the best protection from forums and stuff. There was some psi protection thing and Ultra Platinum had the best protection; The main problem with my engine is noisy lifters so im hoping an oil could silence that maybe, also winter is coming soon and temperatures could hit -35 celcius. I am going to be getting my oil changed soon, and i wanna try castrol edge extended performance since i havent tried it in this engine yet. With all the oils, I felt that the lifter noise was the same so maybe that will never get fixed but whatever. I guess i want the best oil for the cold winter coming up soon. Also I barely ever do any highway miles tho. its basically 90 percent driven short distances which is worse.

Also what filter do you guys recommend? Ive been running NAPA Platinum / KN oil filter / mobil 1 oil filter. I felt they all were good, but whats the best?

also should i be running a high mileage oil? or can i just run the expensive extended performance oils?

Ditto on the oil analysis. As for brand, you'd probably be just fine with good ol regular full synthetic, no need to pay extra for those so called "premium" brands like Amsoil or RP. I'd do 5000 mile oil changes and use a good filter like NAPA Gold or Platinum or equivalent. Glad to hear your 6.2 has held up well thus far. Are you running 91/93 Octane fuel in it?

What you are running or have been running is just fine. As for the noisy lifters. That just is the nature of the beast for that early year model. My 5.3 taps like a grade schooler with tap dancing shoes on for the first 20 seconds on fire up on a cold start. I have tried all the different weights that AMSOIL has and it doesn't change a thing.

Modern oils today are good for cold starting. If you are concerned at all just stick with a full synthetic.

You have tried AMSOIL in the past, did you know about their preferred customer program? It saves you 25% off the retail price. It is similar to Sam's Club where you pay $20 a year to be a member and you get all AMSOIL products at the wholesale cost. They even run promotions once in a while offering free shipping. PM me if you want more details.

Yeah it's been a great engine. 87 octane mostly Up until 290,000 kms. After that it's been mostly 91 octane.

And I'll look into that after I try the edge!'

Should I try edge high mileage or the EP?

High mileage seems like it's better for seals and stuff but EP is a higher quality oil

Archived