Interested in new Silverado, should I pull the trigger?

Hi everyone,

I've been a lurker on these forums for quite a while. My car is on its last legs and I have had my eyes set on a truck for some time. I am a GM guy so I really like the Silverado/Sierra. My goal was to wait for another year until the new models come out but I may be forced to make a decision sooner due to the health of my car. For better or worse I am set on GM. I just don't like the other makes. My dilemma is as follows:

1. Should I buy a 2017 with all of the discounts or wait until the 2019 is at least announced? Are there going to be that many differences? I am planning on getting the 6 Spd 5.3 v8. I don't want stop and start nor do I need a lot of crazy gadgets. I would like at least an LT with leather, remote start, towing package, heated seats, bed liner, and quad cab that's really it.

2. I wanted to wait until 2019 because of the chevy shake problem. Is it really that pervasive? Does everyone have it? I don't mind some vibrations but I want a good vehicle, especially at the price that can last me a long time. I had a 2012 Altima that has 96k miles on it that is supposed to have awful transmission problems and my car is fine. Not every car is bad but obviously there is a higher risk. Any advice would be helpful. For buying a truck you expect durability and longevity. That is what I want. Definitely need to get 150k miles on it.

3. I really like the bigger trucks but am wondering should I just settle and get the Colorado or Canyon? I am planning on having kids in the truck and the larger 1500 are more appealing but you get more for your money with the smaller ones.

Thanks for the advice!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for your concern about the Chevy Shake on my block there are 4 Silverado's (14,15,16,17) and none have the chevy Shake. Some trucks have them but not all of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

That's good to hear. My brother in-law has a 2016 f-150 and has had small issues with this. I don't think anything is perfect.

That's good to hear. My brother in-law has a 2016 f-150 and has had small issues with this. I don't think anything is perfect.

Like many here have suggested take the truck on a extended test drive to see if it does have the shakes, I believe it appears at approximately 80+ mph.

As for your concern about the Chevy Shake on my block there are 4 Silverado's (14,15,16,17) and none have the chevy Shake. Some trucks have them but not all of them.

I just bought my '17 last week. I test drove 2 of the exact same truck. One of them had the Chevy Shake. The other did not. You can guess which I bought.

Hi everyone,

I've been a lurker on these forums for quite a while. My car is on its last legs and I have had my eyes set on a truck for some time. I am a GM guy so I really like the Silverado/Sierra. My goal was to wait for another year until the new models come out but I may be forced to make a decision sooner due to the health of my car. For better or worse I am set on GM. I just don't like the other makes. My dilemma is as follows:

1. Should I buy a 2017 with all of the discounts or wait until the 2019 is at least announced? Are there going to be that many differences? I am planning on getting the 6 Spd 5.3 v8. I don't want stop and start nor do I need a lot of crazy gadgets. I would like at least an LT with leather, remote start, towing package, heated seats, bed liner, and quad cab that's really it.

2. I wanted to wait until 2019 because of the chevy shake problem. Is it really that pervasive? Does everyone have it? I don't mind some vibrations but I want a good vehicle, especially at the price that can last me a long time. I had a 2012 Altima that has 96k miles on it that is supposed to have awful transmission problems and my car is fine. Not every car is bad but obviously there is a higher risk. Any advice would be helpful. For buying a truck you expect durability and longevity. That is what I want. Definitely need to get 150k miles on it.

3. I really like the bigger trucks but am wondering should I just settle and get the Colorado or Canyon? I am planning on having kids in the truck and the larger 1500 are more appealing but you get more for your money with the smaller ones.

Thanks for the advice!

I debated the exact same thing and finally decided to go for it now and picked up a new 2017 Sierra a few weeks ago. Start/Stop being a major part of it. That is one thing I know I don't want nor would like. Fords have it but you can manually turn it off each time you get in. GM's that have this don't have this option it's on all the time no matter what.

Second reason as already mentioned is I get a feeling I won't like the 2019's and then what? Third reason like previously mentioned as well is there are some GREAT incentives right now on 2017's. I got $13K off mine and couldn't pass that up. Check out Laura GMC's website they have by far and above the best prices anywhere in the country.

Have you thought about the 6.2? If you test drive a 5.3 and a 6.2 back to back you will be sold ;)

Test drove 3 of them. One had the shake.

The '17 LTZ Z71 6.2 I bought just crossed 3K miles. It's going in for a couple of little things this week. Love the truck but hopefully these little things aren't a harbinger of bigger quality issues.

I debated the exact same thing and finally decided to go for it now and picked up a new 2017 Sierra a few weeks ago. Start/Stop being a major part of it. That is one thing I know I don't want nor would like. Fords have it but you can manually turn it off each time you get in. GM's that have this don't have this option it's on all the time no matter what.

Second reason as already mentioned is I get a feeling I won't like the 2019's and then what? Third reason like previously mentioned as well is there are some GREAT incentives right now on 2017's. I got $13K off mine and couldn't pass that up. Check out Laura GMC's website they have by far and above the best prices anywhere in the country.

Have you thought about the 6.2? If you test drive a 5.3 and a 6.2 back to back you will be sold ;)

Thanks for the comment. The incentives look great now. I am stuck between the LT and LTZ. My budget has me in the 5.3 with LT package but I really don't like the bench seat in the front. To not get that package I think you need the LTZ with bucket seats and that gets pricey.

Archived