Project "De-Chrome the Sierra" underway

RideZX6R

My '15 SLT I recently purchased has chrome everywhere and I'm just not that guy...

I gave it the tint treatment first - but it still had all the chrome - more had to be done...Snapchat_1787342750_01.jpg

So next up was de-badging all the chrome stuff with an eraser wheel, as well as the body side moldings, and replacing the mirror caps with gloss black as well as some door handle overlays in gloss black, and then removing the chrome step bars...

As it sits today...

IMG_20170923_120649.jpg

I have some black window trim on the way... but then I'm kinda not sure about the grill and bumpers...

I believe I'll buy some grill that keeps the GMC logo - but I'm not sure what yet, Would consider the All Terrain grille for an OEM look, but would also considering something that looks OEM-Plus - Feel free to make suggestions

Also not sure if I want to paint the bumpers or wrap them in gloss black, opinions?

Oh and if anyone in the seattle area wants some mint condition step bars, or chrome mirror caps - Mine are for sale!

Edited by RideZX6R

you could always remove the grill and have it painted. Saw a video recently where they did that to a Denali grill & it look pretty sweet. The grill surround was painted a flat black and the inner grill painted a gloss black. Just can't remember where I saw the video.

I honestly love this color! just the right amount of chrome elimination and subtle black element adds really set it off IMO. I am actually lookiing to wrap my bumpers/grill in a brushed aluminum type film...f378611dee790da45599ea27dbdd181c.jpg

312060aceed9fbe807b93edaeda87c5a.jpg

• Like 3

Where'd you get the mirror caps and door handles? I also would like to de-chrome my Sierra. Chrome belongs on classic muscle cars and motorcycles.

Door handle covers (they're just molded plastic covers with double-sided tape on them that stick on over the chrome, but the fit it GREAT!) were on Amazon and the mirror caps were take-offs from a seller on ebay (a GM dealer) - I just searched for Onyx black mirror caps

I honestly love this color! just the right amount of chrome elimination and subtle black element adds really set it off IMO. I am actually lookiing to wrap my bumpers/grill in a brushed aluminum type film...f378611dee790da45599ea27dbdd181c.jpg

312060aceed9fbe807b93edaeda87c5a.jpg

Man, Now I want to paint all my stuff and do body color - that thing looks GREAT!

Man, Now I want to paint all my stuff and do body color - that thing looks GREAT!

The chrome, the black, and the body colour accessories all look great on your truck. I stayed with the chrome that came with my truck. If my truck came monochrome, I'd probably be just as happy!

Where'd you get the mirror caps and door handles? I also would like to de-chrome my Sierra. Chrome belongs on classic muscle cars and motorcycles.

Painted bumpers belong on cars...

Trucks have always had chrome bumpers, its called durability. They don't pit, chip or scratch like painted bumpers. Not sure what all the rage is for painted trucks, probably the same people who love black wheels :dunno:

As with everything in life it is a balancing act, same goes with chrome and painted parts, key is to finding that balance.

Tyler

• Like 1

Painted bumpers belong on cars...

Trucks have always had chrome bumpers, its called durability. They don't pit, chip or scratch like painted bumpers. Not sure what all the rage is for painted trucks, probably the same people who love black wheels :dunno:

As with everything in life it is a balancing act, same goes with chrome and painted parts, key is to finding that balance.

Tyler

Actually I'm not a huge fan of black wheels either on most vehicles. I could probably live with chrome bumpers, if it was ONLY chrome bumpers. But the amount of chrome some of these trucks have been coming with is just too much for me. The front end of the last Titan looked like a freaking mirror, and the Denali grill looks look a giant chrome fireplace screen. But to each their own. Edited by novembervictor
  • Like 1

i did mine as well. i have a black 2017 Denali. i removed the sierra and denali on the tailgate. removed the valence in the front. i then plasti dipped the GMC logo on the tailgate, body side molding, denali's on each side of the truck, the chrome window trim, chrome tow hooks and the skid plate on the front bumper. i also had the dealer swap out my denali grill for the elevation grill. there is still a little chrome on there but i plan on plasti dipping the gmc logo today and leaving that little bit of chrome.

ill take a picture after i am done.