Doubted my 1500 for the first time.

BlackHawkZ71

Got a new 2018 travel trailer 32, dry weight was around 7k

Had a weight distribution hitch installed at the rv dealership. Truck had no sag on the rear for 700hitch probably more since the bottles were full..

She did good until i hit some hills. Running 55mph hit a hill and drop to 50mph on cruise ( I figured it would drop some gears but it dropped one and went up.) my instant mpg was 8.8mpg. got on the throttle hard (pulling out on to the highway) she moved pretty decent.

Overall not bad for a 5.3 thats where i doubted my chevy. I am glad i am not pulling it full time just to my spot and parked it until I decide to move. May invest in a programmer to help with pulling that thing around if i have to. Still may do it anyway:) but not in the cards just yet

https://imgur.com/gallery/LRSHG

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice looking trailer! We are looking at the 23' version of the same brand. It sounds like your truck handled such a heavy load well. I haven't towed with my truck yet but I found the tow/haul mode in my last truck made a difference.

Common post.

My 2 cents.

No cruise control as mentioned.

Tow in manual mode and use like a stick shift.

Why is everyone in a hurry when towing?

My 93 would get down to 25-30 mph unless I ran it hard pulling some of the high mountain passes here in Colorado while towing.

Driving the same road with no trailer on the 93 was 12 minutes shorter to my destination.

Is 12 minutes worth running it hard or buying another truck for an occasional tow?

Same road, same load towing (a boat) in my 2012, same time as my 93 with no trailer and not running it hard.

:happysad:

Your problem is not enough truck and too much trailer!

Completely agree with that statement. Used to see it all of the time when I was selling Chevy trucks, long, heavy trailer and a short wheelbase truck. You can get it moving without an issue, biggest thing people forget is stopping. 1/2 ton brakes going downhill with a max load behind it are going to heat up and fade fast, and that is when bad things happen. 3/4 ton crew with the 8 foot bed is something I would be looking into if I were going to be towing this trailer a lot (maybe even a single wheel 3500).

Thats my next goal once this one gets paid off. Either ram or chevy diesel maybe dully?. But I have a long way to go before then. I am not sure I should be within my tow specs either way? I think I remember seeing about 9k on trailer weight in my manual?

Other then that took it easy and never got past 55mph she did ok, stopping distance was ok. Wouldnt want to pull it in the city limits (interstate, etc) may have trouble there..

Not going to be pulling this trailer unless i move, I decided that its better then paying apartment (rent plus whatever fees come with those)

Edit i do know that trailer even with that hitch setup at times it tail wagging the dog. Depending on road conditions

Nice looking trailer! We are looking at the 23' version of the same brand. It sounds like your truck handled such a heavy load well. I haven't towed with my truck yet but I found the tow/haul mode in my last truck made a difference.

Thank you in my opinion i would opt for the extra length.

I am glad my truck handled it probably wouldnt want to try to add more to it. Fun fact my trailer weights close to what my truck does

Common post.

My 2 cents.

No cruise control as mentioned.

Tow in manual mode and use like a stick shift.

Why is everyone in a hurry when towing?

My 93 would get down to 25-30 mph unless I ran it hard pulling some of the high mountain passes here in Colorado while towing.

Driving the same road with no trailer on the 93 was 12 minutes shorter to my destination.

Is 12 minutes worth running it hard or buying another truck for an occasional tow?

Same road, same load towing (a boat) in my 2012, same time as my 93 with no trailer and not running it hard.

:happysad:

I didnt know about not running cruise control. I have thought about manual mode but figured I would let tow haul work.. I wouldnt want to pull it very far though.

As mentioned, occasional towing up to the limits of a 1500 is not too big of a deal as long as you know what you are doing. I've got a couple of friends that do the same thing but just haul their camper to their spot for the summer and then tow it back home later in the year. Just make sure the camper has an electric brake system and that you set your gain up properly and you will be fine.

Archived