TPMS on '07 z71

bcrooms

Question

I have the message on my DIC to server the TPMS.

The pressures show random readings constantly on each tire.

My truck has oversized tires on stock 18" wheels. Is this a common issue with the sensors or is it due to the oversized tires?

I attempted the "relearn" method by lowering the on the tires in sequence, but the first tire never would register with the TPMS.

I assume there is more to it.

Thanks,

Brandon

13 answers to this question

Batteries probably dead or dying in the sensors. Tire size has nothing to do with how they operate.

The batteries don't seem to live much longer than 6-7 years up here - in the heat of the South I'd bet that knocks a year off them, at least.

Shame most of those tire incidents were inattentive owners not checking tire pressure in the first place and then blame it on the tire manufacturers when they blew out. Low pressure, sidewall gets warm.....eventually will cause a blow out, even in today’s tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to need a TPMS tool to program the new sensor. They're easy to physically replace once you get the bead broken, but it will need programming to work.

When I was a kid, that was just common sense. Not so much nowadays ...

Insurance driven...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Let me expand...if memory serves me yet, Explorer accidents with Bridgestone/Firestone tires are what caused the TPMS to be mandated. That was pushed by insurance companies, like most of the "safety features" we have today.

That was what, nearly 20 years ago now?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Yeah, just about. Was the year 2000 or so. I was living in Phoenix at the time, so it was BIG news - most of the tire failures happened there in the desert heat.

Archived