AC smells like porta potty?

So my AC system was cleaned by the dealer last year and it was ok until this summer and they had to clean again in July and they also reprogrammed the AC to turn on the blower every few minutes after truck is turned off to dry system out. It wa sok for a few months then Labor Day weekend the worst smell to date comes from the vents when truck is first turned on for a couple minutes. It doesn't matter if the AC is on or off. If it is off I still get the smell from driving and the slight amount of air that come through the vents. If AC is on when truck is turned on it smells like a porta potty for a couple minutes then goes away. I went to the dealer last week and they checked the cabin filter which is clean and doesn't smell. The said the condenser or whatever was cleaned in July is still clean and ok. They said they smell the stink also at start up but can't find the source! I don't think this is acceptable but are they brushing me off because I am out of 3yr warranty and now on my extended warranty? Is there anything I can check or clean?

Evaporator. There is a procedure from GM to disinfect/clean it, but you can try this yourself. Put the blower on high, fresh air open (not recirculation) and take a can of Lysol and spray it through the cowl. It will suck it down and help rid the odors and may even help any bacteria issues on the evaporator. Your dealer can also turn on the HVAC afterblow which runs the fan for some time after you shut the car off to dry the system out.

Also check out for any debris and the condition of the cabin air filter.

Evaporator. There is a procedure from GM to disinfect/clean it, but you can try this yourself. Put the blower on high, fresh air open (not recirculation) and take a can of Lysol and spray it through the cowl. It will suck it down and help rid the odors and may even help any bacteria issues on the evaporator. Your dealer can also turn on the HVAC afterblow which runs the fan for some time after you shut the car off to dry the system out.

Also check out for any debris and the condition of the cabin air filter.

This has all been done. The dealer reprogrammed it to turn on after blow in July when they cleaned the evaporator and the cabin filter was new in May. Filter was pulled out at the dealer last week and it is good no debris and it is clean and doesn't smell. All of this got rid of the smell in July and August but Labor Day weekend the smell was back and the worst smell to date. Smell goes away after a few minutes but it is very annoying every time I turn AC on have to smell raw sewage rotting funk.

I tried an AC cleaner I sprayed into cowl intake with AC on and blower at full power and I thought it worked. Atleast it did yesterday each time I turned on the AC it smelled like the cleaner. When I got in today with the AC off just the slight air coming through the vents while driving stunk pretty bad. I turned on the AC and tried recirc and the outside air and there was no smell after a couple seconds. Does the duct system on these trucks collect mold?

I usually run my AC on auto at all times. These systems have to run at full blower speed at times just to keep the evaporator dry, to avoid the mildewing/ moldy smell. You may do this as well, but I know its helped me with my 17 compared to my 14. With my 14, my AC smelled like youre describing, never complained to dealer though so I dont know if them performing any cleanings would have prevented it. I changed the filter on my 14 and it helped a lot, thats when I started using auto 90% of the time. Havent had any issues with my 17 thus far, using the auto function. I usually set my temp to 70 most of the time.

This is the first vehicle I have had where the AC system has to be cleaned. I park in a parking lot at work and garage at home. I always use Auto I never use the manual AC. I only have 25k miles on the truck and its little over 3 yrs old and have had a smelly AC since it was about a year old. I also get the smell in winter time using the defrost. Especially smells after rain, snow or I wash it.

Check the cabin air filter yourself and shine a flashlight up into the air vent opening to look for rodent nests. I had a horrible smell coming from the vents this year and found the cabin air filter was covered in piss and shit from mice. Then I found the nest in the compartment under the windshield trim where the air comes in to the vent system. Got a new filter and vacuumed out the nest, (had to pull the windshield wipers, trim piece, and vent cover) . I then proceeded to catch 6 mice in traps the following nights. I sprayed disinfectant all over the entire area and fashioned a screen with zip ties over the air intake. Took a while to get the smell completely gone. Hopefully the screen will prevent further mouse intrusion.

Check the cabin air filter yourself and shine a flashlight up into the air vent opening to look for rodent nests. I had a horrible smell coming from the vents this year and found the cabin air filter was covered in piss and shit from mice. Then I found the nest in the compartment under the windshield trim where the air comes in to the vent system. Got a new filter and vacuumed out the nest, (had to pull the windshield wipers, trim piece, and vent cover) . I then proceeded to catch 6 mice in traps the following nights. I sprayed disinfectant all over the entire area and fashioned a screen with zip ties over the air intake. Took a while to get the smell completely gone. Hopefully the screen will prevent further mouse intrusion.

Do you park outside or does your truck sit for days. I can’t imagine having a rodent nest but will check the filter. I just changed it in June.

Do you park outside or does your truck sit for days. I can’t imagine having a rodent nest but will check the filter. I just changed it in June.

Yes it is outside and does sit for a few days to a week at a time in the summer. I am also in a wooded area. There's not much I can do about it I guess except drive it more or hope that adding the screen to the vent will stop them.

Archived