Crank Position sensor will not go back on

So I have been having a P0300 random misfire on my 2003 s10 v6 4.3 truck every since I purchased it a year ago and today I finally decided to get to the bottom of this issue and I started with removing the Crank position sensor for inspection and it was very loose and would not tighten up so I went ahead and removed the one little bolt holding it on and a bushing type of thing came out along with the screw. This bushing thing has threads inside of it for the screw and its supposed to go in a hole near the crank position sensor mounting area but the bushing dont wanna stay in the hole now. You guys got any suggestions on where i might find one of these bushing?

• 3 weeks later...

Without replacing the timing cover, I'm gonna give you an option "B" to your problem. My instructions have to be followed to the "T".

I need you to find an industrial epoxy material called #1 "Smooth-On MT -13".  There's also #2 Metalset A4 Aluminum Filled Epoxy if the items are aluminum. It's a 2 part industrial epoxy that is white in color when equally mixed. And take close to 24 hours to fully cure at room temperature.  I will give you pictures as what the stuff looks like.

You will squeeze out 2 eraser size dots of these materials then mix them into a white cream. Curing will start in 20 minutes if mixed correctly.

The mounting hole (on the lower right side timing cover) where the epoxy is going to be place must be free of all oil / dirt /loose particles.  You will use a small clean Q-tip, dip it into the white epoxy just enough to surface coat the hole where this bushing goes (not the bushing). DO NOT place too much epoxy into this hole as to get into the bore where the threads are. Clean up is next to impossible.

If the bushing slips out, use duct tape and a small coin (no epoxy touches the coin shim) to hold the bushing into place. Let set for 24 hours. Come back, remove tape / coin shim.

Inspect to make sure epoxy didn't travel to bushing threads,

if so, tap threads out gently,

if not, install crank sensor/ bolt assembly and lightly torque / snug crank sensor bolt.

Turn crank by hand to see if crank sensor rubs in crankshaft damper, if rubs, readjust sensor, if not reassembly and start motor.

Epoxy 01.JPG

Epoxy 02.JPG

Epoxy 03.JPG

Archived