4G LTE issues. Slow speeds

Hello all,

I have a 2016 Tahoe Z-71 with the built in 4G LTE.

I just had the antenna replaced because the XM stopped working. When I picked up the vehicle today I did a test on the XM and LTE. Download speeds where less then 1 meg down and .5 meg up.

On my cell phone also using the AT&T network is getting 30 meg down and 15 meg up.

I showed it to the tech and he ran some tests. stated there were no technical issues.

I am kind of at a loss. Did I get a defective antenna?

For those of you that have the LTE, what are your speeds?

Also, does anyone know how to access the internal router?

The address is 192.168.2.1. But I get no response. It is broadcasting on channel 11.

Thanks,

I am located in Sarasota, FL

I tested mine yesterday and got 10 down / 10 up. I also seem to recall reading somewhere that the LTE attached to vehicles is throttled and the speedtest app would suggest that is the case.. it held steady right at 10 during both the up and down test. The LTE used in the vehicles is the ATT network.

• Like 1

Thank you for testing. I am at a loss right now. My dealer replaced the antenna because the XM radio stopped working. They tested all systems.

Being 4G LTE speeds should be a lot faster.

With my AT&T Galaxy Note 5 I get 55/30 right next to the Tahoe. Same test with the Tahoe only gets about 3/.5, barely runs one device.

AT&T wont help because I buy the plan from OnStar. OnStar says there is nothing wrong.

I guess when my cell plans in December I might switch to an unlimited plan and cancel the OnStar Data.

I agree that the speed through the vehicle hotspot should be much faster, but I suspect that it is AT&T limiting speeds, not the vehicle given the slow performance in my truck too. I found a video by someone in a GMC Terrain who got 2 down and 15 up, which makes no sense, and another guy in Toronto who was getting 30 down and 15 up in a Volt.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have been back and forth between AT&T, On Star, GMC Dealer and GM themselves for a slow connectivity issue in my 2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD and they just keep going round and round in circles pointing fingers at each other.  It was not so much a problem in Hawaii because my trips were short, but now that I live in the Mainland (Las Vegas), its definitely an issue.  Speeds have not changed, they have always been shit.  Most I have ever seen is 5 down, 2 up.  Mostly I see < 2Mb down and around <.9 up.  The GM Senior Adviser is completely lost and cant get his shit straight, he has no idea what I am taking about.  GMC Senior Tech says all he can do is verify that I can connect to the AP and access the internet, no protocols for speed.  I could go unlimited data on my phone, but that kills my battery faster than I can recharge it in the vehicle.  This truck was expensive, I pay for a service that is an advertising point by GM and not getting what I would think I am supposed to.  My daughter has buffering issues on her iPad, I have issues streaming Pandora, and I have problems with my VPN disconnecting when trying to do work from the road.  At this point I want GM to replace the AP in the vehicle to prove its not them.  Hope they will...I have been back and forth between AT&T, On Star, GMC Dealer and GM themselves for a slow connectivity issue in my 2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD and they just keep going round and round in circles pointing fingers at each other.  It was not so much a problem in Hawaii because my trips were short, but now that I live in the Mainland (Las Vegas), its definitely an issue.  Speeds have not changed, they have always been shit.  Most I have ever seen is 5 down, 2 up.  Mostly I see < 2Mb down and around <.9 up.  The GM Senior Adviser is completely lost and cant get his shit straight, he has no idea what I am taking about.  GMC Senior Tech says all he can do is verify that I can connect to the AP and access the internet, no protocols for speed.  I could go unlimited data on my phone, but that kills my battery faster than I can recharge it in the vehicle.  This truck was expensive, I pay for a service that is an advertising point by GM and not getting what I would think I am supposed to.  My daughter has buffering issues on her iPad, I have issues streaming Pandora, and I have problems with my VPN disconnecting when trying to do work from the road.  At this point I want GM to replace the AP in the vehicle to prove its not them.  Hope they will...