Are 20" wheels really the new thing? Why not 18"?

My 6" Fabtech lift is waiting for me to install it, but I need to pick out a wheel/tire combo first.

I've been looking everywhere on the inter webs and can only find a limited amount of 14'-17' Silverados rocking 18" wheels. Everyone loves the 20" look.

I don't mind it, paired with the right wheels, an aggressive tire looks great on 20". I just want more meat. Both for the small amount of comfort it adds and because when I do go off the pavement (very rarely), I'd rather have that extra bit of oomph against the rocks.

Mainly, it the looks. Honestly, I just like the way a 35" tire pairs with an 18" wheel.

Is there something I'm missing here? The last model body style seems to have a ton of 18" builds I can find. Coming up with only a few images with say, an 18x9 wheel with 35x12.5.

It's cool if there are a few more images, I'm just curious to know why EVERYONE is going with 20" wheels with these trucks.

Clearance to the knuckle without going with a 0 or negative offset. 20" allows for some positive offset and lets it sit with the body lines better for aerodynamic purposes. Also helps for component life (the closer the load is to the truck of the wheel/tire package, the less stress on suspension/axle components).

Without trying to get scientific, I think it's just demand. I personally like a lot of sidewall, but most seem to want as big of a rim as they can afford no matter how much sidewall they will have. My '83 isn't lifted, but I'm fine with the 16s that are on it and if I lift it I will try to keep the same rims or keep the same diameter at least. The '14 I used to have had 18s with factory tires and that's the least amount of sidewall I would want. It seems like you either have 15s or 20+. Just seems like it's not as much out there from 16 up to 18 from what I've seen.

The car trend toward larger wheels is bleeding into the trucks. Short sidewalls have better steering response and tread stability. In other words, they handle better on the pavement. The downside is higher unsprung weight, more expensive wheels and tires, harsher ride, more chance of sidewall damage off road.

• 4 months later...

Back in the old straight front axle days, 14x36's were the $hit. Wheels didn't matter much - usually just white spokes. The tires were the focus - either Grand Prix RVT's or Monster Mudders. RVT's lasted longer, but the Mudders pulled better. I can still hear that deep "wa-wa-wa" whine.

My owner's manual says anything larger than 18" wheels and one should not drive off-road.  I seem to remember reading also, that with 22" wheels the tow rating goes down to 5,000 pounds.

The sidewall is a large portion of how comfortable a car rides.  A tall sidewall absorbs impacts better, has more air inside which is what supports the vehicle and provides better traction during acceleration among other advantages.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 20's on my 2017. They look awesome and are great for highway driving which is most of kms I put on it. I opted to get some winter tires and 17' rims for the winter though as the 20's dont feel aggressive enough in the snow for me (I live in Southern Ontario, Canada) and we often get dumped on in the winter nights and sometimes i'm on the road before the plows.

Thinking of getting my calipers painted this spring, i think it will look sharp with the 20's but i havent seen any posts from other users who have done this mod yet.

Definitely a personal preference thing. I think that every generation seems to get larger and larger wheels, both stock and aftermarket.

Personally I've got 20s on my truck. I went back and forth between 18s and 20s as I had 18x35s on my jeep that I loved the look of. In the end I decided that I would get 20s as they matched the scale of the truck a little better and would allow me to run 37s later if I wanted. Worst case I decide to sell them and get 18s I think 20s will be easier to sell.

I don't understand two current trends:  bigger rims and black rims.    But they are both popular.     It could be trucks are being used more as people haulers than work trucks, so style is chosen over function. 

The market is driven by demand.  As such, you definitely get more wheel and tire options in 20s than 18s.   

Personally, I think 18s are the perfect balance of sidewall size and rim.

Funny. The more individual people try to become the more alike they are. 

I love my 17's. Would do 15's or 16's if the suspension and brakes allowed it. But as I really, REALLY like these brakes and 17's have so few tire choices that I'm good with looks like 18's are in my future. I guess they sell more 18's than 17's. 

I had the dealer switch the 20s to 17s on my Silverado and couldn't be happier with the decision.  Not only did it save me a bunch of money, the truck runs so smooth on the highway and gets stupid good gas mileage.  Not sure how accurate the control panel is, but it was claiming my truck was averaging 27.5 yesterday on the highway at 75 mpg over a 50 mile span.  I like the look of the 20s a tad better, but for me it's not a big enough deal breaker to upgrade.

Archived