Are 20" wheels really the new thing? Why not 18"?

On 9/29/2017 at 1:36 PM, Phil0922 said:

...I'm just curious to know why EVERYONE is going with 20" wheels with these trucks.

Not necessarily a personal preference, when I was ready to buy the dealer only had 20s. Didn’t have a problem with that because I have been running 20s since 2000.  They are an excellent ride for my truck (Tahoe) since I just use the truck for highway travel.  I see almost half the vehicles on the highway as being trucks and the way these trucks drive and the technology in them, they replaced the family car.  So unless you want your truck for just work or play, dealers are going to offer more bells and whistles (and wheels) at a higher price point. 

On 9/29/2017 at 2:36 PM, Phil0922 said:

My 6" Fabtech lift is waiting for me to install it, but I need to pick out a wheel/tire combo first.

I've been looking everywhere on the inter webs and can only find a limited amount of 14'-17' Silverados rocking 18" wheels. Everyone loves the 20" look.

I don't mind it, paired with the right wheels, an aggressive tire looks great on 20". I just want more meat. Both for the small amount of comfort it adds and because when I do go off the pavement (very rarely), I'd rather have that extra bit of oomph against the rocks.

Mainly, it the looks. Honestly, I just like the way a 35" tire pairs with an 18" wheel.

Is there something I'm missing here? The last model body style seems to have a ton of 18" builds I can find. Coming up with only a few images with say, an 18x9 wheel with 35x12.5.

It's cool if there are a few more images, I'm just curious to know why EVERYONE is going with 20" wheels with these trucks.

What are the specs on the wheels/ tires you went with? Pics? 

2 hours ago, joejoe11 said:

I had the dealer switch the 20s to 17s on my Silverado and couldn't be happier with the decision.  Not only did it save me a bunch of money, the truck runs so smooth on the highway and gets stupid good gas mileage.  Not sure how accurate the control panel is, but it was claiming my truck was averaging 27.5 yesterday on the highway at 75 mpg over a 50 mile span.  I like the look of the 20s a tad better, but for me it's not a big enough deal breaker to upgrade.

Could be a difference in overall weight, but my guess would be that the tire size also changed and the spedo didn't get recalibrated. 

Archived