Plow for a 1998 Chevy K1500

I've been looking into a plow for my half ton. With weight being my biggest concern, I was looking at something like a 7 1/2 foot Fisher minute mount. I would only be using it to plow my driveway and one other. The majority of the time the plow won't be on the truck. I was just wondering if there were any other models that I should be considering? Or any tips or concerns I should be having? I've been plowing with ATV's and most recently just a tractor with a bucket. It'd be nice to have some heat while I get the job done.

post-164300-0-15453400-1506783657_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Nope.  One can even plow... safely... with a Honda Ridgeline or a small SUV.  Just depends on the blade, setup, and situation.   I have grown fond of Snowsport blade setups.  Have one on my 2500.  Have used one on a John Deere Gator even.  They may not seem like much, but they do a fantastic job and won't scalp landscape.  Speaking of a Ridgeline, here is a Snowsport on a Ridgeline handling some pretty heavy snow.....

This is the one on my 2500.  I rigged up a winch to raise and lower it when needed.  It does 900' of gravel drive and even cuts a path 2 miles of gravel roads to the highway when the County takes their time getting to us.

IMG_5387.jpg

I have owned a 2005 Colorado  crew cab with a  6,8" western subearnite on it for seven years, and live just south south buffalo NY,  I live in hamburg NY. ten miles south of buffalo and three years ago we got blasted with over seven foot of snow in twenty four hr, , and it did the job , gave the truck to my grandson and son in-law, last month and bought a 2015 Colorado crew cab with the v6, and put a brand new Snow Dog 7,5" on it and it handles it no problem    so your 98 half ton would be no problem for sure, 

IMAG1551.thumb.jpg.7190cb0160a1f7bd932e3e6fe2e3ae71.jpg , picture is of my new Colorado with new Snow Dog  7,5" on it  it will get some use tis week as they are calling for our first snow , I live in what they call the snow belt , and lake effect snow , bring it on  I am readyt

4 hours ago, bviau said:

I have owned a 2005 Colorado  crew cab with a  6,8" western subearnite on it for seven years, and live just south south buffalo NY,  I live in hamburg NY. ten miles south of buffalo and three years ago we got blasted with over seven foot of snow in twenty four hr, , and it did the job , gave the truck to my grandson and son in-law, last month and bought a 2015 Colorado crew cab with the v6, and put a brand new Snow Dog 7,5" on it and it handles it no problem    so your 98 half ton would be no problem for sure, 

IMAG1551.thumb.jpg.7190cb0160a1f7bd932e3e6fe2e3ae71.jpg , picture is of my new Colorado with new Snow Dog  7,5" on it  it will get some use tis week as they are calling for our first snow , I live in what they call the snow belt , and lake effect snow , bring it on  I am readyt

What model is that? Does it have a quick attach/detach? Id rather not have to have it on all the time. 

1 hour ago, Logan Lanfear said:

What model is that? Does it have a quick attach/detach? Id rather not have to have it on all the time. 

snow dog  7,5"  made for half ton trucks and it is definitely  more heavy duty than my last one the western 6,8"  suburbanite I had on my 05 Colorado this would be a great plow for your truck as I only use it for my own driveway  and used to do my daughters house to ,but now they have my old truck with the plow  so mine will only be doing mine and the occasionally neighbors   and to answer your ?? it goes on and off very easily ,better than my western , just goggle it and watch the video  I took it off in less than two minutes and with the stand it comes with to keep it right where you took it off it went back on in less than five minutes I am very happy with it and it is faster up and down and tilt than the other one to , you might even find a used one on craigslist but I wanted a new one and got it on sale for      $ 3,749.00 installed with a two year warranty,  usually $3995.00

IMAG1552.jpg

Archived