Harsh Ride

Like This

BullShark.'s PhotoBullShark.

Today, 07:42 PM

Anyone else have a 2017 Sierra with a severe harsh ride. I mean bang when you hit expansion joints and then another jar when the rear wheels hit. I have had it back and replaced all tires twice. The dealer has admitted it is a harsh ride. Claims the frame was beefed up to raise the roll over rate and now a rough ride (harsh) is considered normal.

I traded an exact build sheet 2104 for this 2017 and it rides completely different.

The dealer has been great but has no solutions.

I am exhausted riding in this truck and feel it is unsafe. The factory, gm customer care was as useful as hemorrhoids and just about as pleasant. They were unresponsive and then just consider the ride normal as compared with other vehicles. Seems funny since I have a friend that also just bought a 2017 X71 that is much smoother.

I have a couple of choices.

1) downsize to 17" wheels from the 20"

2) hope for another hurricane

3) file a lemon law case

Anybody have any ideas?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't understand it. It's not just me that thinks the suspension is extremely harsh. The service manager, everyone that has riden in the truck. I had 20" wheels on my 2014 which were fine. The field rep told the service manager that the frame was beefed up to meet roll over standards and that was the cause of the harsh ride. It really sucks.

It's the 20" wheels. No doubt. I've hated it since GM has decided for folks that larger wheels are the thing. Sure, they look good. But for many folks, well, yuck.

Go test drive a GM truck with 18" or 17" wheels. It's amazing the difference. Or.... upgrade to the High Desert package with magnetic ride control shocks.

My truck with stock 17's was a dream compared to after I put the 20's on. I run 30psi of air in my tires with the 20" wheels. I'm keeping my 20's on for now though since the 17's were the cause of my violent shaking issues. At some point I'll be upgrading to Michelin LTX's on those and running those in the winter.

Check out the Crap Ferd's......they pretty much sell nothing but 18"s on Lariats etc....wonder why? Nope Rim size.........I felt huge difference going from 16's to 18's and told myself that is the limit for me 18's is all my ass can handle! Well, now I have 20's and they can be a bit much! The Bilsteins helped tremendously but these trucks are getting ridiculously stiff no doubt! Just another reason I didn't even think about Z71 package/max tow.....way to stiff for my ass these days....

Like This

BullShark.'s PhotoBullShark.

Today, 07:42 PM

Anyone else have a 2017 Sierra with a severe harsh ride. I mean bang when you hit expansion joints and then another jar when the rear wheels hit. I have had it back and replaced all tires twice. The dealer has admitted it is a harsh ride. Claims the frame was beefed up to raise the roll over rate and now a rough ride (harsh) is considered normal.

I traded an exact build sheet 2104 for this 2017 and it rides completely different.

The dealer has been great but has no solutions.

I am exhausted riding in this truck and feel it is unsafe. The factory, gm customer care was as useful as hemorrhoids and just about as pleasant. They were unresponsive and then just consider the ride normal as compared with other vehicles. Seems funny since I have a friend that also just bought a 2017 X71 that is much smoother.

I have a couple of choices.

1) downsize to 17" wheels from the 20"

2) hope for another hurricane

3) file a lemon law case

Anybody have any ideas?

You're not the only one. I turned in a '14 with 22 inch wheels (Rally 2 package - No Z71) for a '17 Redline Edition with 20s and the Z71 package. It's definitely noticeably harsher than the '14, but I chalked it up to the Ranchos on the Z71, and the different wheels / tires. My last truck road like a Cadillac...this one rides like a truck.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

I put the Fox 2.0's on my 17 and it handles the big bumps much better now. Small stuff is about the same, but speed bumps are night and day difference.

-S

I think I will take the advice of test driving a truck with 17" wheels. I am starting a collection of 20" tires now since I bought the Michelins. I am not sure how these tires will go in the snow but they are softer. Premier LTX Michelins are what they are. I first tried the ltx MS2's and they were too hard. These new premier ltx' are smooth as silk at 80 on a smooth highway. Hit an expansion joint, road repair strip, the truck becomes an unguided missle.

"You want a harsh ride? You can't handle a harsh ride!"

Try renting one of those Home Depot flat bed rentals for 1/2 hr. and your kidneys will be singing the praises of any Silverado.

Archived