Harsh Ride

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Z60 suspension, sorry it took so long to respond.

When I started reading this thread I just knew this is what your suspension package is. It didn't take long for me to notice how rough the ride was. My 2015 LT had the RD4 20's like 99% of the rest of the Silverados around here . I swapped out my 20's (RD4) for the factory 18's(PZX). It made a DRASTIC difference. I then rode in friend of mine's 2014 Z71 that had 18's(RD1) and noticed how much smoother his was.

I recently traded in my 2015 for a 2014 Z71 that had 20"(RD2) wheels. During the test drive I noticed how much better the truck drove over bumps. I worked it out to where I could keep my 18's. Feels like I'm driving a Suburban. Very nice smooth ride - and yes - with what some call the crappy Rancho shocks.

My two cents - find a set of 18's that you like - or if it's that important - get some 17's. Don't forget that street tires ride smoother than all terrain and off road tires. Find the right combination and I think you'll be satisfied.

Thanks for all of the input. I never expected two trucks with the same suspension package to be so different. Both my 2104 & my 2017 have the 20" wheels and the z60 suspension package. The 2014 rode like a Cadillac for 107,000 miles. I am stuck with it with no real answers except expensive trial and error. Oh well, live and learn. No I am not going to buy a Buick . I probably will cut my loses and get another vehicle.

You will take quite a hit trading this rough rider in, I would invest a few hundred on new shocks and frnt springs/struts to make it softer. The frame is not the issue here. The frame appears identical to even my 2013!

You will take quite a hit trading this rough rider in, I would invest a few hundred on new shocks and frnt springs/struts to make it softer. The frame is not the issue here. The frame appears identical to even my 2013!

z60 has a stiffer torsion sway bar as well. Easy to change and not very expensive.

You have some great support on this thread. It sounds like you just want out of the deal in my view. If not, then take another identical model for a test drive (as previously suggested) and if it rides the way you like, get your truck repaired. Go to another dealer if you have a poor relationship with your current dealership. It is not unusual for a vehicle with over 100k miles to feel mushier than a similar model with a few miles on the odometer.

The rear springs will have a larger impact. Not as cheap to change but... Actually they have the largest impact of anything you could do.

I had a customer of mine that had a 2014 SLE Sierra Z71. He swapped out the front springs/struts, and rear shocks with Bilstein products. He was then pleased with the outcome.

Yes, that can happen. Taste is impossible to measure. You like what you like. Topics like this are difficult.

I am waiting for the GM District Manager to take up my invitation to ride in my truck with me to experience the same as I do. Haven't received an RSVP yet.

Thinking about exploring magnetic ride but I know nothing about them. Any input would be appreciated.

Going from an 04 Ram on 20's to my current truck, which is a Z71 on 17's, this one seems to soak up the small imperfections better but with stuff like speed bumps or potholes in the road it really throws you around. There's one weird hump in the road outside my house that I always know will make me come up off the seat a little bit if I hit at at the speed limit.

My guess is that I don't feel the small imperfections as much because of the 3 inch smaller diameter wheels and beefier tires, but I feel the bigger ones more because of the Ranchos on the Z71. Overall I think the 2017 rides much nicer, it feels like a luxury car until you hit something big, then you know it's a truck. But I think a lot of this stuff also comes down to personal preference and what works for you.

I doubt it's the wheels. I recently bought a 2017 that came with the 20s, and it's a very smooth ride. Even my neighbor concurs, however, hit an imperfection in the road and it rocks back and forth feeling unstable, but no "bang" that you experienced. Magazines that tested this truck claims GM 22" rim is a harsh ride but mention the 20s being smooth. Having sold Chevys / Caddi I noticed even the midnight edition Silverados with the 18" and Rancho shocks is a very smooth ride (on road).

I am new to owning GM products so I don't know if there's a difference in ride quality between the different trim levels.

Archived