Harsh Ride

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the Z60 in my 2015 and it is not so much of a harsh ride, but it rides like a early 80's Camaro and will actually out handle one. You definitely feel the bumps in the road, but it is not a harsh ride to me. With that said, I like cars and trucks with the "sport suspension". The wife prefers the ride of a luxury car.....she lost out.

Hey Keith,

I’m happy for you! My 2014was the smoothest Trucks I have owned. Never in my life would I have expected a harsher ride on a three year newer same exact build truck.

I see GM customer service has viewed this thread. Seems they stay out of the limelight . Cowards!

• 1 month later...

I have a 2016 I just bought with 24k miles on it. How do I find out what suspension it has?

It has 18in wheels with the stock Goodyear SR-A.

It handles big bumps nicely but damn if I can't feel every small imperfection in the road. It feels like I can feel the imperfections more through the front than the rear. At this point, I don't know if it's the suspension or the tires.

Im wondering if the tires aren't balanced or if one of them has a flat spot. It feels like I can feel the front suspension more when going slow through neighborhoods (15-25mph) and then a slight fast vibration through the wheel at 60 and above. It's nothing like some experience with the so called Chevy Shake but I can feel the vibration through my wheel as if it was coming through the front suspension. Nothing else in the vehicle will vibrate and that includes my phone sitting in the center console or my sunglasses in the holder.

I just want someone to tell me how to fix it but the dealer wants $175 just to look at it even though it's still under warranty. Do all vehicle manufacturers operate like this or only GM?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Obscenejesster said:

I have a 2016 I just bought with 24k miles on it. How do I find out what suspension it has?

It has 18in wheels with the stock Goodyear SR-A.

It handles big bumps nicely but damn if I can't feel every small imperfection in the road. It feels like I can feel the imperfections more through the front than the rear. At this point, I don't know if it's the suspension or the tires.

Im wondering if the tires aren't balanced or if one of them has a flat spot. It feels like I can feel the front suspension more when going slow through neighborhoods (15-25mph) and then a slight fast vibration through the wheel at 60 and above. It's nothing like some experience with the so called Chevy Shake but I can feel the vibration through my wheel as if it was coming through the front suspension. Nothing else in the vehicle will vibrate and that includes my phone sitting in the center console or my sunglasses in the holder.

I just want someone to tell me how to fix it but the dealer wants $175 just to look at it even though it's still under warranty. Do all vehicle manufacturers operate like this or only GM?

In the glove box is the RPO code list. One of those is the suspension code. 

Sounds like multiple issues and yes one of them could be tire balance. One other can be alignment. Especially the caster. Much over 2.3 degrees will hammer you pretty good. Much under 1.8 and she will get a bit twitchy. The spec runs as high as 3.5 and as low as 1.5. Mine from the factory was 3.6. The next two most don't like to hear. Factory shocks couldn't be more poorly valved. The rear leaves....No idea what they were thinking other than price. 

I did the full Monty, Kings...Deaver...Sulastic hangers but I expect that isn't what many would do so.....Find a shock you like, Bilstien, Monroe, Gabriel or whatever and the Sulastic hangers and that will get you over half way and make enough improvement to help a bunch. This is a design issue and there is nothing that GM is going to do about it. Don't assume the alignment is right just because it's pretty new. 

In the glove box is the RPO code list. One of those is the suspension code. 
Sounds like multiple issues and yes one of them could be tire balance. One other can be alignment. Especially the caster. Much over 2.3 degrees will hammer you pretty good. Much under 1.8 and she will get a bit twitchy. The spec runs as high as 3.5 and as low as 1.5. Mine from the factory was 3.6. The next two most don't like to hear. Factory shocks couldn't be more poorly valved. The rear leaves....No idea what they were thinking other than price. 

I did the full Monty, Kings...Deaver...Sulastic hangers but I expect that isn't what many would do so.....Find a shock you like, Bilstien, Monroe, Gabriel or whatever and the Sulastic hangers and that will get you over half way and make enough improvement to help a bunch. This is a design issue and there is nothing that GM is going to do about it. Don't assume the alignment is right just because it's pretty new. 
I'll second the alignment, mine was pretty far off with only a couple thousand miles on a new truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

My '17 2WD SLT with 20" stock wheels and tires is smooth and stable feeling for a truck. The smoothest I've had in the last three trucks I've owned (F-150, Tacoma before). There seems to be a fairly short suspension travel, so the rebound from a bump is rather quick, but I don't feel the harshness.  Some lean in the corners.  If I concentrate on it then, yes, I can sense all of the little road imperfections coming through (barely) from the leaf springs.

The problem with mine is the hard leather seats with all of the mechanics below the cushion such as vibration feedback and ventilation/heat (off-topic).  Though I was moving up with these seats - now I'm not sure.  Realized this at about the 150 mile point...may try a wet oakey cover on the front since it has 1/2" of padding.  Again, just ignore this part, its off topic.  

I went from a ‘16 CC Z71 to a 2WD ‘16 CC Z60.  Both 20” wheels.

AMAZING improvement.

be careful in NW FL with the neoprene seat covers.   They’re hot!   Make you sweat.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:43 PM, Bowtie Billy Hill said:

You're not the only one. I turned in a '14 with 22 inch wheels (Rally 2 package - No Z71) for a '17 Redline Edition with 20s and the Z71 package. It's definitely noticeably harsher than the '14, but I chalked it up to the Ranchos on the Z71, and the different wheels / tires. My last truck road like a Cadillac...this one rides like a truck.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

I gave my 2000 GMC Z71, that had a sweet ride, to my son and purchased a 2017 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab with a short bed, LTZ 4x4 with 18" aluminum wheels.   I now regret purchasing this truck, normal driving on well paved city streets is pretty good,  but going over expansion joints on the freeway would lift us out of our seats if it wasn't for seatbelts.  How can a 2017 have a worse ride than a 2000?  The Capitol Chevy dealer in San Jose, Ca first said all trucks ride rough (not my 2000) then it's because of the Max Trailering Package and the stiffer boxed frame than the 2000 had.  I asked if there was any modification or shock absorber changes they could do to improve it, not that he knew of, he suggested contacting a 4 wheel drive outlet and ask about aftermarket shocks.  And I really dislike the raised rear end, I asked if something can be done to lower the rear to make it easier to lift items into the bed, nope.  Unfortunately the test drive before purchase was on well maintained city streets.  Buyer regrets big time. Let me know if anyone starts a class action lawsuit, it has to be a bad design.

2 hours ago, Wish I kept my 2000 Z71 said:

I gave my 2000 GMC Z71, that had a sweet ride, to my son and purchased a 2017 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab with a short bed, LTZ 4x4 with 18" aluminum wheels.   I now regret purchasing this truck, normal driving on well paved city streets is pretty good,  but going over expansion joints on the freeway would lift us out of our seats if it wasn't for seatbelts.  How can a 2017 have a worse ride than a 2000?  The Capitol Chevy dealer in San Jose, Ca first said all trucks ride rough (not my 2000) then it's because of the Max Trailering Package and the stiffer boxed frame than the 2000 had.  I asked if there was any modification or shock absorber changes they could do to improve it, not that he knew of, he suggested contacting a 4 wheel drive outlet and ask about aftermarket shocks.  And I really dislike the raised rear end, I asked if something can be done to lower the rear to make it easier to lift items into the bed, nope.  Unfortunately the test drive before purchase was on well maintained city streets.  Buyer regrets big time. Let me know if anyone starts a class action lawsuit, it has to be a bad design.

Maybe you should have bought a Colorado?

3 hours ago, Wish I kept my 2000 Z71 said:

There might be two reasons the 2000 rode better than your 2017:

1. with time and mileage, suspensions wear in and soften out

2. Your 2000 didn't have anywhere near the carrying capacity, or towing capacity. The rear leafs are beefed up to increase those  numbers, and that will affect the ride, and the height.

2 minutes ago, Wish I kept my 2000 Z71 said:

Thanks Rick, but I am hoping for a general consensus on a fix.  There must be  one. Other than buying a mid size Colorado.

Swap the OEM struts and shocks out for Bilsteins. They offer a less jarring ride. Other than having custom softer springs installed, your hands are tied.

51 minutes ago, Obscenejesster said:

I find it odd that my Silverado rides smooth when its warm out but then when it's cold, it feels as if it picks up a bump in the street every foot or so.

Tires stiffen up in the cold.  Maybe this is the reason?

Archived