Harsh Ride

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, 2017SierraSLT said:

Swap the OEM struts and shocks out for Bilsteins. They offer a less jarring ride. Other than having custom softer springs installed, your hands are tied.

Does Brillsteins make both the shocks and the new replacement struts?  Hopefully that will improve the ride on the front end, has anyone come up with a tried & true fix for the rear suspension to smooth out the bumps and lower the rear to be level with the front making it look better and easier to lift items into the bed?  Anyone out there from the San Jose CA area with recommendations for a shop that could do all this custom suspension rebuild. I don't mind paying for the fix, including new custom springs, but it would be nice if others have already done it with happy results. Failed trial & errors is expensive.

And if all this fails, what manufacturer makes the smoothest ride but still usable as a truck?  Ford, Dodge Toyota?  I always loved my old Sierra Z71, but the ride in the new GM trucks suck.  If GM offered to take my truck back today I'd jump at the chance.

12 hours ago, Wish I kept my 2000 Z71 said:

I gave my 2000 GMC Z71, that had a sweet ride, to my son and purchased a 2017 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab with a short bed, LTZ 4x4 with 18" aluminum wheels.   I now regret purchasing this truck, normal driving on well paved city streets is pretty good,  but going over expansion joints on the freeway would lift us out of our seats if it wasn't for seatbelts.  How can a 2017 have a worse ride than a 2000?  The Capitol Chevy dealer in San Jose, Ca first said all trucks ride rough (not my 2000) then it's because of the Max Trailering Package and the stiffer boxed frame than the 2000 had.  I asked if there was any modification or shock absorber changes they could do to improve it, not that he knew of, he suggested contacting a 4 wheel drive outlet and ask about aftermarket shocks.  And I really dislike the raised rear end, I asked if something can be done to lower the rear to make it easier to lift items into the bed, nope.  Unfortunately the test drive before purchase was on well maintained city streets.  Buyer regrets big time. Let me know if anyone starts a class action lawsuit, it has to be a bad design.

I'm finding this quite hard to believe. I had a 2006 Z71 1500 which is a fairly similar truck to a 2000 era GMT 800. I always liked my 06 for many reasons; ride, comfort, fuel mileage, power, etc................. til I hopped in this new one.

I've put a decent amount of seat time on this new one since it was bought in June........ I simply can't go back. No Way, No How!! 

There is no way that a 2017 K2XX is giving a worse ride than a GMT800. I live in Ontario, which I guarantee has waaaay rougher roads than any place in California & this 2017 is so much nicer on any road I've taken it on. I've also driven 3 other 2016 & up K2xx's, including a 3500. They all had outstanding ride quality. The 3500 rode exceptionally well for a big assed dually.

Either you have a very defective set of shocks, or..........?

Plus your dealer is giving you bad info. The frame is not the issue..... Not a chance. Nor do all trucks ride rough.

PS my 2017 sits about 1.5"  higher at the back than my 06 did. Hardly a big deal & hardly noticeable.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:07 AM, 2017SierraSLT said:

2. Your 2000 didn't have anywhere near the carrying capacity, or towing capacity. The rear leafs are beefed up to increase those  numbers, and that will affect the ride, and the height.

Bingo!! But not just stiffer...less compliant. Fewer and fewer leaves over the years. Everyone want's to dance, no one wants to pay the piper. :sick:

21 hours ago, sonerick said:

Tires stiffen up in the cold.  Maybe this is the reason?

Yes and shock oil gets thicker. Same as stiffer dampening. Few drive far enough for the oil to heat up enough to bring it to summer temperatures. Wait till the ground freezes and the road heaves. :P

Everyone, over the years, wanted one ton capacity but no one wanted to by a one ton truck. They bought a half ton the bagged it or added helper leaves and equalizer hitches. Manufactures don't want third party vendors making money they could so....they do to the truck what the buyers were already willing to do and to pay for. Greed feeds greed and now you have what you wished for. A half ton that works like a one ton and everything else that goes with it. Oh and don't let us forget 'bling'. Wheels got larger and wheel/tire weights got heavier. :seeya:

On December 1, 2017 at 7:03 AM, Obscenejesster said:

Does anyone know if the tow package (not the max tow package) comes with a stiffer suspension in the rear?

I am referring to the tow package that comes with the trailer controller.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

I have a 2017 GMC Sierra SLT which has the towing package with the controller. The part number on  the leaf spring is 23401 109 which is the same as on the z71 package. I don't believe this is the spring offered with the heavy duty trailer package which states it had heavier leaf springs. 

I have a 2017 GMC Sierra SLT which has the towing package with the controller. The part number on  the leaf spring is 23401 109 which is the same as on the z71 package. I don't believe this is the spring offered with the heavy duty trailer package which states it had heavier leaf springs. 

I'm sorry for the confusion.... Are you saying we have stiffer suspension than models without the towing package?

31 minutes ago, Obscenejesster said:

I'm sorry for the confusion.... Are you saying we have stiffer suspension than models without the towing package?

I would have to say by looking at the parts catalog it appears the heavier spring is only for the enhanced towing package. That package included extended mirrors also. 

I am still trying to soften the ride in my 2017. I have downsized to 18" wheels but now have a vibration blamed on tires at 65 mph up. Pretty soon I will have my own desk at the dealership as many visits I have made there. They are putting four new tires on it again. If Incould charge for my time Inwould get back the money Injave spent so far. 

I am still trying to soften the ride in my 2017. I have downsized to 18" wheels but now have a vibration blamed on tires at 65 mph up. Pretty soon I will have my own desk at the dealership as many visits I have made there. They are putting four new tires on it again. If Incould charge for my time Inwould get back the money Injave spent so far. 

Try this. It's what a co-worker of mine did after the dealership tried blaming the tires, tire balance and everything else.

He asked them to test the axle runout at the hubs. Then asked them to give him the readings so he could have them independently checked. All of a sudden, the dealership replaced a rear axle and his truck now drives smooth as hell.

I don't understand why these so called dealer mechanics aren't checking the runout. In 90% of these cases, the problem lies in the axles.

Maybe yours is tire related however, since it didn't start until after you changed your tires.

I have had silverado trucks since 99, every 4 years from z71 to 4x4. This is the worst of them all. What stinks this is the most expensive. Gm keeps telling me that the truck is fine. I feel every bump, expansion joint etc. Also a constant vibration on newly paved roads. Everyone who drives or rides feels it but the dealers.  I am lost!

16 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

I have had silverado trucks since 99, every 4 years from z71 to 4x4. This is the worst of them all. What stinks this is the most expensive. Gm keeps telling me that the truck is fine. I feel every bump, expansion joint etc. Also a constant vibration on newly paved roads. Everyone who drives or rides feels it but the dealers.  I am lost!

I feel your pain, I have now 8500 miles of less than comfortable riding in my truck. I stayed with the Sierra SLT because the last one I had   (2014) was really a nice smooth riding vehicle. The push for higher fuel economy coupled with better roll over rates have given us larger wheels and tighter suspension. You can thank the beaurocrats that sit behind their desks insisting on rediculiously insane goals. Now we have minature cars with giant wheels and trucks that ride like trucks. It's just plain nuts. On top of that we have roads that are so in need of repair nothing can smooth them out. 

Just think how hard it must be to be a service manager facing these problems and customer complaints that have no solutions. 

Archived