Bent Frame from the factory on new Silverado?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It took me searching through 20+ 2018s on auto trader but I finally found one. I knew they had tooling to do it, didn’t realize they were going to be backing up silao.

Next, I’m interested in the perspective of how this potential frame issue falls on an assembly plant due to it being out of the US, and for that reason only.

It took me searching through 20+ 2018s on auto trader but I finally found one. I knew they had tooling to do it, didn’t realize they were going to be backing up silao.

Next, I’m interested in the perspective of how this potential frame issue falls on an assembly plant due to it being out of the US, and for that reason only.

I assume it's a Chevy that you found? According to GM's newsroom website, it's only the Chevy 1500 CC's being produced at Flint assembly. Sierra 1500 CC's is not mentioned.

Does that mean ALL Sierra 1500 CC's are built in Mexico? Just curious.

• Heavy-Duty Chevrolet and GMC Sierra Crew and Regular Cab Trucks, Light-Duty Chevrolet Silverado Crew and Regular Cab Trucks

It's more of an 'American pride' thing than anything else. I don't think there's any evidence that suggests vehicles built south (or north of the border for that matter), are of any less quality than those built in the US.

Interesting article. RAM is not the dodge trucks of yesteryear. According to JD Power.

Dont put miles on the truck....keep it at the Dealership and refuse to take it back.

https://ag.ks.gov/in-your-corner-kansas/your-home-car/what-is-the-lemon-law

They want to replace it...hehehe....demand the replacement have a VIN starting with #1 !

That's my plan. I did file a complaint with the AG but it will take 2 weeks for it to surface in their queue. Kansas lemon laws are pretty weak. As of today it's been in their shop for 12 days since I brought it home on Aug 26th.

It's more of an 'American pride' thing than anything else. I don't think there's any evidence that suggests vehicles built south (or north of the border for that matter), are of any less quality than those built in the US.

Interesting article. RAM is not the dodge trucks of yesteryear. According to JD Power.

Definitely more of a pride thing. Nothing wrong with products from south of the border, especially the food!

ah crappy to hear man hop you get this all figured out. Id be pissed also. I too think something is up with my truck on the right rear. No matter what flat surface i park on my rear passenger fender to ground is always an inch lower. my bed to window as you measured is spot on but when i stand back it seems as though my truck sags towards the rear passenger tailgate, very weird, ive had it in and they told me everything is fine(i think something is up as well). I hate looking at my truck from the rear and always noticing this. I have a 2017 sierra crew. Never had this issue with any other truck ive owned. They always looked and measured out level from side to side. Not jackin your thread, just wanted to let you know there are others with messed up lean. Love my truck but what the heck eh. Good luck and keep us posted man

ah crappy to hear man hop you get this all figured out. Id be pissed also. I too think something is up with my truck on the right rear. No matter what flat surface i park on my rear passenger fender to ground is always an inch lower. my bed to window as you measured is spot on but when i stand back it seems as though my truck sags towards the rear passenger tailgate, very weird, ive had it in and they told me everything is fine(i think something is up as well). I hate looking at my truck from the rear and always noticing this. I have a 2017 sierra crew. Never had this issue with any other truck ive owned. They always looked and measured out level from side to side. Not jackin your thread, just wanted to let you know there are others with messed up lean. Love my truck but what the heck eh. Good luck and keep us posted man

Yeah the lean is one thing, but out of the factory my body lines were a 1/2" lower on the bed compared to the cab.

Yeah the lean is one thing, but out of the factory my body lines were a 1/2" lower on the bed compared to the cab.

Yeah true. You definitely have more than a lean issue it seems. You're a stronger man than i lol. I couldnt bare the thought of all those washers under there and the bumper uneven lookin. Hope you get this resolved, if not at least a new truck out of this bro

Ok, I'm going to jump in here.... Only because I thought my truck was bent also. If you look at our trucks from the rear, every single K2XX I see on the road has the right rear corner of the bed low, when compared to the rear window or front of bed-line. I thought mine was messed up and started looking at all the ones on my job site and in traffic. I quickly realized, every single one i see is like this. Funny you bring this up, because a few weeks ago I was behind a F150, maybe 2013, model before the 15 aluminum. And his RR bed corner was lower also, just like the K2's. I keep forgetting to look for this when I get behind a '15+ F150. A friend of mine has one, next time i see his I'll look at it. Looking at your pictures, they shimmed the right side of the bed, which makes the bed flat, but now your bumper is off. If you look at really old pickup trucks, like from the 80's and 90's... holy cow are those things crooked. I think you're chasing something that is inherent in a pickup.

Ok, I'm going to jump in here.... Only because I thought my truck was bent also. If you look at our trucks from the rear, every single K2XX I see on the road has the right rear corner of the bed low, when compared to the rear window or front of bed-line. I thought mine was messed up and started looking at all the ones on my job site and in traffic. I quickly realized, every single one i see is like this. Funny you bring this up, because a few weeks ago I was behind a F150, maybe 2013, model before the 15 aluminum. And his RR bed corner was lower also, just like the K2's. I keep forgetting to look for this when I get behind a '15+ F150. A friend of mine has one, next time i see his I'll look at it. Looking at your pictures, they shimmed the right side of the bed, which makes the bed flat, but now your bumper is off. If you look at really old pickup trucks, like from the 80's and 90's... holy cow are those things crooked. I think you're chasing something that is inherent in a pickup.

I've measured a lot of trucks through this diagnosis and they all have a little variation in the ride height, but all their body lines match up regardless of ride height variation. Take the shims out from under my bed and the body lines are 1/2" lower and don't match up. Shims out we're crooked relative to the cab, shims in we're crooked relative the bumper. The most telling measurements I've taken are the body to frame, not body to ground. If the bed was right side low relative to the cab and the rear bumper at the same time, then it would have to be the bed mounts on the frame are located low, or all of the bed ribs were stamped too thin and allowed the bed to drop. Regardless, if it existed in either of those variables then shimming the bed should have brought it parallel to both the bumper and the cab. The other most likely cause would be right rear cab corner too high. Easy check there is to measure from the bottom of the cab to the top and bottom of the frame to see if the spacing is greater than similar trucks. The measurements on my truck are identical to the 4 other trucks we measured cab to frame on.

• 2 weeks later...

Little update

Service manager sent me an email last tuesday and said they had a possible "Fix" for my truck but he needed to show me in person- too hard to explain via e-mail or phone.  Swung by and the SM said that after 2 days of phone calls, he finally got a hold of the "Brand Quality Manager for the Silverado Engineering Dept".  According to that wizkid, 1/2" of bed lean/body line misalignment is "within normal  tolerance for a new Silverado"  My response to the manager was" go find a single truck on your lot, or any coming off of the transport that has even remotely close to 1/2" of body line misalignment and i'll buy that".  According to this brand quality Manager, 1/2" or more of bed misalignment to the cab is totally normal and common-  I said" If that were true it wouldn't have taken 2 days of calling to find someone with that knowledge".  Of course- according to the SM there is no documentation on this, no TSB's, it must just be one of them common problems that everybody has but doesn't talk about.

Here's where it gets really interesting though.  GM's alleged fix for this- undocumented of course- is to install 1ea of a part number 15018263 shim between the right front bed mount and the frame- IT"S A CAB MOUNT SHIM!!!  I asked why are they installing an oversized donut on a rectangle and the service manager couldn't answer that.  The shim is 3mm and they also have a 1MM shim available.  According to the service manager, this is all that GM authorizes to bring bed misalignments back under 1/2" ...which is "Normal".... on a brand new truck..., and then they wash their hands of it.... I don't think so.   One of the most notable BS remarks he fed me was that according to this Brand Quality manager, about 90% of new GM trucks  have one of these shims under the left front bed mount installed before they leave the factory-------Bulll shhhhhhhh...........is all i said to that.  That costs money- with 1% of the trucks having this installed they would find the problem and fix it to eliminate the shim- shims cost money.  90% -not a chance. 

I've been trying for 2 weeks to get the Gal at GM Customer Service to escalate my case to a manager- her response- " I can make the request to elevate it but it doesn't mean it will".   I ask to speak with with her supervisor- same response. I ask to speak with the regional service manager- same response. I told the service manager i want to setup a conf call with this Brand Quality Manager and he said he'd try but i already know the answer.  I called the GM gal back last Wed and demanded- repeatedly i get a call from her supervisor- she said Ok- 48 hours max return call time.  We've past 96 business hours- no call.    

The service manager told me he was going to install the shim and he's done with it.  Allegedly he requested GM pay to measure it out on a frame machine and they denied the request.  I  had to get pushy with him and told him i wasn't going to pick it up until it went on the frame machine- if GM wasn't going to cover it, then he is.   He finally responded a day later and said ok, they'll cover it since bed alignment was noted in the original purchase.  They are supposed to notify me when it's on the rack as at this point- I don't trust i'll get valid info out of them unless i'm standing there watching them measure it.  We'll find out this week.

As of today my truck mas been in their shop for 23 days total- out of the 46 i've owned it. 

Ridiculous.

I did put together a video of everything but the bed resolution issues on you tube.  Search for Davis Moore Chevrolet Dash cam- Oh-I caught 3 of their guys speeding in my truck and the service manager and the Sales manger talking smack about lazy employees- and how i'm a problem they need to get rid of.....seriously... and GM won't get involved.  Turned this into the attorney general for the state but they are slowww....

Time to wash your hands with Chevy and move on. If they aren’t willing to address this issue on a brand new truck with a proper fix, imagine the help you will get in the years to come if you have an issue.

Archived