2015 Crew with 20s, level/tire question

I'll admit, this is my first full size truck and I'm loving it.

What I don't love are the HORRIBLE Wrangler SR-A tires it came with.

Size 275/55/20. I believe our stock 20inch rims are 9inches, correct?

To me, outside of the horrible wet and snow traction, this tire just looks wimpy on big truck.

I'd like to move up to at least 275/60R20, which I feel would look a bit more substantial.

Was strongly leaning towards the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. Cost for this size is very reasonable at around $170 per tire.

I've done some reading and it seems our trucks can fit this size stock, and NOT need any leveling.

From your experiences, is that true? If you made that exact switch, how happy are you and what tires did you go with?

If I add a 2 inch front level only....could I fit, 285/55/r20....or even 305/55r20? The con is price jumps up nearly $100 more per tire for both of these options, though having a monster 305 width would be sweet.

Thanks in advance!

To me, outside of the horrible wet and snow traction, this tire just looks wimpy on big truck.

I'd like to move up to at least 275/60R20, which I feel would look a bit more substantial.

Was strongly leaning towards the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. Cost for this size is very reasonable at around $170 per tire.

I've done some reading and it seems our trucks can fit this size stock, and NOT need any leveling.

From your experiences, is that true? If you made that exact switch, how happy are you and what tires did you go with?

If I add a 2 inch front level only....could I fit, 285/55/r20....or even 305/55r20? The con is price jumps up nearly $100 more per tire for both of these options, though having a monster 305 width would be sweet.

Thanks in advance!

The width of the tire will be the biggest issue. I put a 2" level on mine and fit 275/65/20. You can go taller than stock with the level but there was not a lot of room to go wider. I think the 305 would be out of the question and really... your just going wider than stock at that point. Wouldn't you want a taller profile tire?

I agree...275 is plenty wide.

What tire did you go with 275/65/20 isn't as readily avalible as 275/60/20.

No rubbing anywhere with the 2 inch level? Just the level on the front?

I went with the BFG KO2 but may be swapping them out for ridge grapplers. Nitto, Toyo, and BFG all offer 275/65/20. Those are about a 34 so they are plenty big.

Yes, I only did the 2" level in the front and have no rub. I did have to zip tie the liners back on the rear of the front wheel wells but... no big deal. You could just trim a couple inches of the carpet if you prefer.

I have 275/65R20 Duratracs on my '14 with a 2" level, I have not zip tied anything and have rubbed once on the inner carpet going up a steep driveway at full lock. I have been off road (nothing extreme) and no rub. I like the Duratracs a lot for what it is worth

Read some more, TONS of info on this exact question(s) out there. You will get more answers searching around and reading other threads than a few replies in a new thread. Each persons answer will be different, that is why it is key to gather as much info and make your own decision. Some tires run wider or taller, others have different shapes. Some have different types of levels, some rub in certain conditions, other in extreme conditions. The more info you have the easier it will be to make that decision...

Tyler

I have not had good experience with oem tires in the wet and snow. An upgrade to Michelin tires has always solved these issues for me. Big, burly tires may offer the look you want but snow and ice performance may not be as impressive as you might expect. My 2000 Silverado came with 235 16's, my 2009 came with 245 17's and my 15 has 255 17's. I can't imagine 275 20's as being considered wimpy!

Thanks in advance!

305/55 look great on stock wheels and level. TONS of variation on rub or not. I have 2" with 285/55 ko2's. Very satisfied...until I see one with bigger tires ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived